Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by KCPowercat »

Exciting ...collison has the story today too

https://twitter.com/kckansascity/status ... 08160?s=19
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

$7 million(ish) in subsidies over 25 years for the parking structure? :(
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

$250k city contribution to the garage each year increasing 5% a year for 25 years to provide FREE evening and weekend parking? Have you absorbed none of the lessons KCMO?

*hits golf ball down the middle of Grand Boulevard*
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote:$7 million(ish) in subsidies over 25 years for the parking structure? :(
smh wrote:$250k city contribution to the garage each year increasing 5% a year for 25 years to provide FREE evening and weekend parking? Have you absorbed none of the lessons KCMO?
If this math is correct, it's absolutely not $7 million.

5% annual increases over 25 years each year is a total of
$11,931,774.70
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

It was just a rudimentary calculation whith no time to sit and do all of the math. No need to be a dick about it but thanks for figuring it out to the last 70 cents.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote:It was just a rudimentary calculation whith no time to sit and do all of the math. No need to be a dick about it but thanks for figuring it out to the last 70 cents.
Should never have to sit down and figure numbers when there's free spreadsheet software available to do it for you.

Enter $250k in A1, enter =A1*1.05 in A2 and fill down to row 25. Then use sum in A26 to get the total.
Takes 20 seconds.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i think you forgot to adjust for future inflation to express in today-equivalent dollars though. everyone's wrong!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

this is bad message boarding
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KCPowercat wrote:this is bad message boarding
Not by my calculations
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

kboish wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:this is bad message boarding
Not by my calculations
=D>
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

flyingember wrote:
kcjak wrote:It was just a rudimentary calculation whith no time to sit and do all of the math. No need to be a dick about it but thanks for figuring it out to the last 70 cents.
Should never have to sit down and figure numbers when there's free spreadsheet software available to do it for you.

Enter $250k in A1, enter =A1*1.05 in A2 and fill down to row 25. Then use sum in A26 to get the total.
Takes 20 seconds.
I don't comment on here a lot, and this shitty, condescending attitude is why. No wonder fewer and fewer people are joining or commenting.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote:
flyingember wrote:

Takes 20 seconds.
I don't comment on here a lot, and this shitty, condescending attitude is why. No wonder fewer and fewer people are joining or commenting.
You call me a dick after I give an accurate number to save everyone the time to figure it out and I have a bad attitude?

Yeah, that adds up...

Maybe don't assume everyone has a bad attitude and you'll have a better time. I don't assume everyone is a jerk or a troll and it works out better.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

flyingember wrote:
kcjak wrote:
flyingember wrote: Should never have to sit down and figure numbers when there's free spreadsheet software available to do it for you.

Takes 20 seconds.
You call me a dick after I give an accurate number to save everyone the time to figure it out and I have a bad attitude?

Yeah, that adds up...

Maybe don't assume everyone has a bad attitude and you'll have a better time. I don't assume everyone is a jerk or a troll and it works out better.
Save everyone the time? You only saved me twenty seconds.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I've asked the city manager (on Twitter, anyway) what the source of funds is. It seems odd to commit the city to this for 25 years with nary a word or action by the Council. I suspect it will come from "parking revenue" -- which is meter and ticket revenue. Irony noted!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It just doesn't make any sense.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It makes sense long-term if the City is considering rebuilding the Barney Allis Plaza parking garage, or losing some of that parking to the UMKC campus. They will need to provide alternative parking for the convention hotels that use the BAP garage while a new garage is built, or if spaces are lost to the UMKC project.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote:It makes sense long-term if the City is considering rebuilding the Barney Allis Plaza parking garage, or losing some of that parking to the UMKC campus. They will need to provide alternative parking for the convention hotels that use the BAP garage while a new garage is built, or if spaces are lost to the UMKC project.
...but the city charges for Barney Allis Plaza parking.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Couldn't they make the money by charging for parking? Or at least a reasonable amount? Like, why free?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

exactly
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WoodDraw wrote:Couldn't they make the money by charging for parking? Or at least a reasonable amount? Like, why free?
Garages aren't profitable because of the initial cost + operating overhead. That's why they're often incentivized, municipally owned/managed, or dedicated to one user who can cover the losses.

Here's the city manager's response to how it would be paid for (sort of a non-answer): https://twitter.com/KCMOManager/status/ ... 2156352513