Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by hartliss »

FangKC wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:08 pm I wonder if they have a tenant in mind?
Waddel and Reed?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Hoefer Wysocki
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I've got to think if Waddel and Reed is moving downtown, they're going into a project that is already approved and moving toward construction. This fits that pretty well.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

hartliss wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:37 am
FangKC wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:08 pm I wonder if they have a tenant in mind?
Waddel and Reed?
It’s too small. W&R is in the 300K SF + range.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd think w&r would want their name on something tall.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Looking at the whole plan, it looks like there are still some angles, though not as dramatic as the original design's.

jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

Not Waddell and Reed.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This will be a nice and much needed infill project, but 13th and Wyandotte will be sort of overpowered by parking structures. The garage the Crown Plaza sits on is already too much, so to build a similar structure across the street won't do much for the pedestrian experience. Then Barney Allis Plaza is just a big retaining wall wrapped around a garage.

Still awesome to see some new construction for office space. That trumps the design I suppose.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

GRID wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:05 pm This will be a nice and much needed infill project, but 13th and Wyandotte will be sort of overpowered by parking structures. The garage the Crowne Plaza sits on is already too much, so to build a similar structure across the street won't do much for the pedestrian experience.
Thanks be to Oberlechner...

Parkplatz dreams and autocad realities.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Looks like the kind of shit they build in DC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chingon wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:27 am Looks like the kind of shit they build in DC.
If that was directed at me because I live in the DC area, you failed. First off, I'm not even all that fond of DC's new construction. Most of it is bland as hell. However, you almost never see pedestals in DC or above ground parking structures at all. So I really don't understand your point other than being upset with a little constructive criticism.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

GRID wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:43 am If that was directed at me because I live in the DC area, you failed. First off, I'm not even all that fond of DC's new construction. Most of it is bland as hell. However, you almost never see pedestals in DC or above ground parking structures at all. So I really don't understand your point other than being upset with a little constructive criticism.
It was not. It was directed at the bland, blocky design of the building.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chingon wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:29 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:43 am If that was directed at me because I live in the DC area, you failed. First off, I'm not even all that fond of DC's new construction. Most of it is bland as hell. However, you almost never see pedestals in DC or above ground parking structures at all. So I really don't understand your point other than being upset with a little constructive criticism.
It was not. It was directed at the bland, blocky design of the building.
Well then please accept my apology. People tend to jump on me when I criticize KC,so I jumped to conclusions. Yes, DC's new construction leaves a lot to be desired.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Actually, I think DC's new apartments are much more high-end looking than ours. The K-street corridor is monotonous, yes...but a lot of that has to do with the height restriction and developers trying to squeeze the maximum amount of SF out of their developments. Places like City Center, 14th Street, and Navy Yard (where I used to live) are not bad. They use much more masonry, windows that are not vinyl, and hide the parking very well.

They don't build crappy shit like Market Station or Crossroads Westside inside of the district!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Rents are much higher in DC that can justify better materials - and DC developers don't have to spend budget for mega parking. But rents are rising downtown KC (amazing KC can get over $2.50/sqft, to even $3+) so hopefully fewer lego block buildings down the road and more towers. Tri-function buildings would also mitigate risk for developers and may justify incentives given lower risk for City as well. And free metro bus would help cut down parking needs - we need to make this happen.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DC has a height limit so of course rents will be higher.

If our CBD had a 110 foot height limit we would have a lot more land filled with buildings rather than parking.

Our entire downtown is 200-300 feet taller than what's allowed in the district. It's why tall buildings are outside it. This puts a price premium on the district which will impact rental prices outside too.

It also means mega parking and parking podiums are a poor use of space.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

flyingember wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:48 pm DC has a height limit so of course rents will be higher.

If our CBD had a 110 foot height limit we would have a lot more land filled with buildings rather than parking.

Our entire downtown is 200-300 feet taller than what's allowed in the district. It's why tall buildings are outside it. This puts a price premium on the district which will impact rental prices outside too.

It also means mega parking and parking podiums are a poor use of space.
All true, but most importantly DC is...well DC! It's the capitol of the county and also one of the richest places in the country so it goes further than just the height of buildings.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Developer looking to close on office project in 2019; approval of additional documents at November for December meeting. Closing on Muehlebach in
second quarter of 2020 - LCRA

http://edckc-meetings.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 821%29.PDF
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Handsome infill if it can be pulled off as rendered...

https://cityscenekc.com/platform-ventur ... e-project/

$70M
14 floors
152K sqft (up from 70K originally proposed)
Targeting early 2020 start, complete late 2021
He said Platform Ventures’ office project already has “genuine interest” from tenants for over 50 percent of its space. It’s planned for the northwest corner of 13th and Wyandotte, directly across from Barney Allis Plaza.

grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

+1 Great project. Let’s get it built!