Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It does look like the office portion is being expanded. The original info called for 70,000 sq ft and they are now saying 100,000.

I wonder if the building would still have a similar design and how many stories it might be now.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

They will probably just plop extra floors on top. Copy & paste. :D
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

The latest LCRA meeting has an update on this project...

The conversion of the KC Club to a hotel is currently moving forward, and does not need LCRA assistance.

The developer is modifying their assistance request for the other projects and I found some interesting details:
  • Developer is requesting a yearly $250,000 payment over 25 years from the city to make the parking spaces available to the public at no cost after business hours and on the weekend
  • Increasing the number of residential units in the old Muehlebach building to 191 from 117 and dropping the avg unit size from 900 sqft to 570 sqft. The building envelope will remain intact (i.e. not building on top)
  • Rent per unit drops from 1,610 a month to 1,123 a month
  • Increasing the size of the rentable office space in the new building to 100,000 sqft from 70,000 sqft
  • Adding 40 parking space to the garage for 400 total
KCDowntown
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

the public can pay for their own goddamn parking
edit: average unit size of 570 seems pickwickian (even smaller, really).
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:05 pm It does look like the office portion is being expanded. The original info called for 70,000 sq ft and they are now saying 100,000.

I wonder if the building would still have a similar design and how many stories it might be now.
So, I wonder if the office building's chances of being built with this project are hindered by Strata Tower.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:29 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:05 pm It does look like the office portion is being expanded. The original info called for 70,000 sq ft and they are now saying 100,000.

So, I wonder if the office building's chances of being built with this project are hindered by Strata Tower.
A second entry could increase confidence that office construction is smart and strengthen interest.

Two projects also gives businesses options if they look at locating downtown. If option 1 is taken there’s still option 2.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It also solves a problem if businesses don't want to deal with a specific real estate company / developer. In a town the size of Kansas City, businesses can often have had a past dispute with a landlord. If that landlord is the only one with any sizeable holdings downtown, it explains why some companies haven't come downtown. That is why it hurts a downtown if one landlord controls most of the premium office space / and one or two of that landlord's banks control most of the lending market. The bank won't lend to any competing projects/developers, because the top dog developer's project might lose tenants.

Small market problems. Many developers, many banks make a city healthier.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The office building on Wyandotte will look even better with a few floors added. Closer in height to the adjacent Aladin Holiday Inn. For the first time since it was created over 60 years ago Barney Allis Plaza will have a contiguous building wall on all four sides.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'll just be happy to have the lot filled.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Here is the financial analysis for this project that confirms all of the changes that KCDowntown listed:

http://edckc-meetings.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 821%29.PDF

Another interesting detail is that the cost for the office/garage portion has increased from $29.0 million to $42.6 million
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Would prefer to see KCMO just charge people for parking and contribute that to the 250k.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:30 pm Here is the financial analysis for this project that confirms all of the changes that KCDowntown listed:

http://edckc-meetings.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 821%29.PDF

Another interesting detail is that the cost for the office/garage portion has increased from $29.0 million to $42.6 million
Thanks for sharing. this is an interesting tidbit that backs up the project cost increase.
The Developer increased rentable office space from 70,000 SF to 100,000 SF, and also increased the number of structured parking spaces from 360 to 400
I'm interested to see the renderings and see how many floors have been added. I would guess 4 more.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

Per KCBJ, the LCRA has approved incentives for this project.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... j=85640431
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Isn't it funny that the apartments in the Clubhouse Lofts are being converted to hotel rooms, and the hotel rooms in the Muehlebach Hotel are being converted into apartments. :?
Last edited by FangKC on Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

FangKC wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:37 pm It's it funny that the apartments in the Clubhouse Lofts are being converted to hotel rooms, and the hotel rooms in the Muehlebach Hotel are being converted into apartments. :?
It makes absolutely no sense
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Especially given they just booted renters out of the club building. Why not start with the residential and give them a chance to move over from the club building when done?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Why turn an apartment building into a hotel in the first place when you have an empty hotel building on the same block that's part of the same project???
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I don't get it either. Maybe we will get the point-of-view from one of the architects on here why the old Muehlebach Hotel isn't suitable for use as a hotel anymore.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sizes?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

My guess is interior spaces. Club bldg has nice lobby with tall ceilings, two story chapel space on floors 2 and 3, amazing rooftop event space. Muelbach doesn't compare. Developer said the new hotel will feature two restaurants. They have beautiful spaces for them in the club. Muelbach lobby is a small, split-level space.