Downtown Baseball Stadium

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

screw the nay-sayers, we can get a downtown stadium done! I'm not listening to anybody that makes excuse after excuse. Baseball belongs downtown in the center of the city. Let's just get it done like every other city in America.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

You know I'd like to see a poll done metro wide to see who would and wouldn't be in favor of a downtown stadium. The # of JoCo'ers in favor of a stadium would probably suprise us. Those people I'm sure aren't as vocal about their opinion as those against the idea.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCNorthlander wrote:You know I'd like to see a poll done metro wide to see who would and wouldn't be in favor of a downtown stadium. The # of JoCo'ers in favor of a stadium would probably suprise us. Those people I'm sure aren't as vocal about their opinion as those against the idea.
I think people need to understand what a downtown stadium really means before they make a decision. Many just love Kauffman and automatically say no. It is like jurors from a trial. They must try to suspend their previous experiences and emotions, and listen to the facts. The facts and vision speak loud enough.
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Hunt hasn't threaten to move either. But he is facing a so called cash crunch.
This is hilarious. :lol:

A cash crunch is a single mother of 3 who works part time at Wal-Mart not the owner of the NFL's premiere franchise KC Chiefs not willing to pay huge bonuses for players.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I think before people make a decision about the stadium they need to visit the website ;)
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The cash crunch is easy. Bonuses are usually paid up front and take cash. If there is a bonus of $5,000,000 paid and a contract of 5 years then the bonus is prorated over the five years for salary cap purposes. However, the cash is paid now. That is why the Chiefs have not gone after some players - not having the cash to pay upfront. The latest this was in the paper was with John Tait and one reason why the Chiefs did not try to retain him. The bonus in his contract.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

trailerkid wrote:A cash crunch is a single mother of 3 who works part time at Wal-Mart not the owner of the NFL's premiere franchise KC Chiefs not willing to pay huge bonuses for players.
Exactly. If a team's or league's business models are unsustainable, that's not a taxpayer problem.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

I called a talk show last night on KKFI (90.1 FM) and discussed a DT baseball stadium. The 3 guys on the show ( it wasn't a sports show, just a call-in free-for-all) were liberal, urban and supposedly progressive in thought. Turns out they were against a downtown stadium because The K is good enough. When I mentioned this website and talked about the pros of a stadium downtown, they totally ended up agreeing with me. I was pretty shocked to hear them originally spill the same cliches that DT stadium opponents do before I had a chance to talk to them. I mentioned acouple of things that a DT stadium might do. When I started talking about light-rail, Union Station and CC benefiting and new residential associated with a neighborhood baseball park, they totally did a 180 degree turn. We really have our work cut out in this stupid city, people are so brainwashed into the sprawly herd mentality.
Last edited by LyRiCaL GanGsTa on Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Interesting, because KKFI, as I have seen, has had one of the most urban voices of any station in KC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

LyRiCaL GanGsTa wrote:I called a talk show last night on KKFI (90.1 FM) and discussed a DT baseball stadium. The 3 guys on the show ( it wasn't a sports show, just a call-in free-for-all) were liberal, urban and supposedly progressive in thought. Turns out they were against a downtown stadium because The K is good enough. When I mentioned this website and talked about the pros of a stadium downtown, they totally ended up agreeing with me. I was pretty shocked to hear them originally spill the same cliches that DT stadium opponents do before I had a chance to talk to them. I mentioned acouple of things that a DT stadium might do. When I started talking about light-rail, Union Station and CC benefiting and new residential associated with a neighborhood baseball park, they totally did a 180 degree turn. We really have our work cut out in this stupid city, people are so brainwashed into the sprawly herd mentality.
Nice work LG, keep it up!
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:The latest this was in the paper was with John Tait and one reason why the Chiefs did not try to retain him. The bonus in his contract.
The Chiefs did not resign Tait because the offer from the bears was ridiculus, and would have made him the highest paid Chiefs player ever. He would have made more than the superstars (Holmes, Tony G, Green, Roaf, Shields, etc.) It was a business choice. They could have paid him, but there would be no room left to sign draft picks.
On to the Next One
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

I know I keep asking this, but has the website been completed and released to the KC public yet???

I see that right now there are only 450 hits, so I am guessing that it hasn't. One quick suggestion would be to change the pole wording to:

Are you in favor of a downtown stadium:

Yes - I live in KCMO
Yes - I live in JOCO
NO - I live in KCMO
NO - I live in JOCO

etc, etc.....

I so badly want to write an email to Witlock, and KK, and the KC scene to pump not only the baseball site but kcskyscrapers and this forum. Can somebody give me permission.... KC - I'm calling you out, this is an amazing site and needs to be shared with all of KC, there is interest out there.
On to the Next One
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I wouldn't limit it to just JoCo, I think the poll ought to be broken out country-by-county so we can see what areas of the metro are willing to head downtown and what areas aren't. Eastern Jackson County should be listed separately from KC-south of the river if you decide to go this route.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

I like the poll idea, would it be too much hassle to do this...?

Are you in favor of a downtown stadium?

Yes___

NO___

I live in (choose one)

KCMO(urban)__
KC (north)__
KC (south)__
MO suburbs___
JO KS __
WY KS __
other __
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

I agree, that is basically what I meant by etc, etc..... Let's do it!
On to the Next One
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I think the wording should be changed from, "Are you in favor of a downtown stadium," to "Are you willing to pay for a downtown stadium."
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Here's what Kauffman would look like downtown across from Crown Center...
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Looks a little red to be the K...

My fear, should this go through, is surface lots. Does anyone think that it could be slowed down by surface lots being expensive(wasteful) to include?
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

no surface lots, only garages :)
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

It's an old pic...should've found a newer one...
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I really really recognize those seats, and I won't mention why...