Downtown Baseball Stadium

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: And for those that live in Lawrence, KS even with Bistate II, you would not have to pay for the debt.
So the challenge is how can we pay for the stadium? And be realistic about it.

I work and vote in the metro, and after May I will most likely live in KCMO (if everything works out). I think that Bistate II could be reworked so that the same amount of money is used for a new stadium rather than improvements to the old one. This is what most of the sports architecture firms in town are saying.
On to the Next One
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:And for those that live in Lawrence, KS even with Bistate II, you would not have to pay for the debt.
As Bistate II is a sales tax, residents of Douglas County would indeed pay a share of the debt as many shop in Jo Co and at the Plaza.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

As Bistate II is a sales tax, residents of Douglas County would indeed pay a share of the debt as many shop in Jo Co and at the Plaza.[/quote]

The point that I wish to make is that 99.9% of my shopping would be covered with the Bistate sales tax. However, for those in Douglas County, although some shopping would be in the Bistate area, most of the shopping would be in Douglas County. If you are so gung ho on this why not push the idea of Douglas County being included in Bistate. That is a good idea. There would be a higher tax base to draw on and therefore more funds could be raised.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:The point that I wish to make is that 99.9% of my shopping would be covered with the Bistate sales tax. However, for those in Douglas County, although some shopping would be in the Bistate area, most of the shopping would be in Douglas County. If you are so gung ho on this why not push the idea of Douglas County being included in Bistate. That is a good idea. There would be a higher tax base to draw on and therefore more funds could be raised.
Considering it is hard enough to draw support in main metro counties, I don't think Douglas County is ready to be thrown into the mix.

The point is, don't tell us who pays and who doesn't pay for things when a portion of Jo Co sales taxes come from people who shop and/or work in Jo Co and live in Lawrence.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

trailerkid wrote:As The Star is constantly cosigning on the new stadium, why don't they put their money where their big fat mouth is...naming rights.

Knight Ridder Park or
Kansas City Star Stadium
Why not put your money where your mouth is and pay the full share of taxes if Bistate II passes, even better, push to have Douglas County included.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Douglas does not even want to be a part of KC's MSA, let alone it's Bi-State taxes.

I wish Lawrence was more like Boulder. Boulder residents do help pay for Coors Field and Mile High (Investco?). We can't get suburbs literaly five miles away from Downtown KCMO to be a part of regional funding issues just because they are in a different state.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

GRID wrote:Douglas does not even want to be a part of KC's MSA, let alone it's Bi-State taxes.

I wish Lawrence was more like Boulder. Boulder residents do help pay for Coors Field and Mile High (Investco?). We can't get suburbs literaly five miles away from Downtown KCMO to be a part of regional funding issues just because they are in a different state.
The point that I wish to make is that many people are making strong statements about what Kansas City needs but they are not part of the financial picture. In this instance, it would be like me telling Lawrence, Kansas they need to fix their roads, sidewalks, curbs, and have a large entertainment and dining area and I don't have to pay for these items, unless I may go there once a year.
Yes, opinions are wanted but put them in perspective.
And I hope you mean more than "five miles away from Downtown KCMO".
Kansas City, Missouri has many financial needs besides a downtown arena, baseball field, entertainment area, and so on. These are regional issues and should be solved on a regional basis. People should not look at just KCMO to pay for everything, or 99.9% of the cost.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: I don't have to pay for these items, unless I may go there once a year...
People should not look at just KCMO to pay for everything, or 99.9% of the cost.
The only people paying for Bistate, are people who shop. Therefore, where you live makes absolutely no difference.

Obviously a BISTATE tax would mean the burden is not just on KCMO. I don't know where a new stadium or renovations were ever mentioned as somethin KCMO would pay alone. There would be no reality where Jackson Coutny could pay for a new stadium currently. Hell, they need help just to fix the Sports Complex up.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

The big problem is that KC can't afford it with a sales tax increase.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The downtown stadium is officially becoming a water cooler discussion...Whitlock is writing about it:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 344235.htm

[quote]Posted on Sat, Apr. 03, 2004

Kemper keen on downtown

JASON WHITLOCK

For those of you hoping that this city's leaders would aggressively take on the task of developing downtown Kansas City, there's real hope.

My Kansas City Star colleague Kevin Collison tracked down R. Crosby Kemper III, arguably this town's most influential and financially sound business and civic leader and persuaded Kemper to comment on downtown redevelopment and a possible downtown stadium/arena. Collison captured Kemper's thoughts in a column that ran earlier this week in the business section.

The column was so interesting — Kemper said he supported building a downtown baseball stadium — that it only seemed natural to track down Kemper for a few more thoughts and clarification. What Kemper had to say during a 20-minute-plus radio interview was inspiring and the most positive news yet for those of us thirsting for something sporty to happen downtown.

“One of the things the city hasn't been really good at over the last few years is planning for the future,â€
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

My comments about who pays were not clear. Realize the discussion about a stadium concerns Bistate II which would affect counties that pass the sales tax. However, the arena and KC Live discussions and current thoughts are that KC alone would bear any tax burden. For KCMO to do that as well as finance other needs, such as bridges, roads, sidewalks, curbs, buildings, parks, etc., is too much for it alone at one time.
With regards to TIFS and all for KC Live it is quite possible that the taxes collected will not be sufficient to pay the required debt. In the budget just passed the City has to make $42 million in payments to make up shortfalls in other TIF projects.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

In addition, the city has other debts to settle. They need to redefine how they draw in money, rather than try to amplify the already destructive system they use.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

First Monday in April... 2008

http://www.geocities.com/xplicitkc/april
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

May people get off the little red wagon trying to get a downtown stadium and get behind Bistate II to save the Royals and the Chiefs. Only if Bistate II does not pass should attention be given to a new stadium.
You cannot do a new stadium for the funds necessary to remodel Royals stadium. And it appears that almost all of the decision makers are not willing to do a new stadium at this time.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Forget that. The Hendricks rant makes me want the downtown stadium all the more.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Wow LG great pic.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:save the Royals and the Chiefs. Only if Bistate II does not pass should attention be given to a new stadium.
Get a clue, Glass is saying he won't move the Royals and the Chiefs make a ridiculous amount of money with outdated Arrowhead.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

At this time neither the Chiefs or the Royals can move - their leases tie them here for the next few years. However, for the Royals if they do not get the improvements Glass cannot make additional funds and therefore increase payrolls. And you know where that will lead.
Hunt hasn't threaten to move either. But he is facing a so called cash crunch. Many bonuses to players are paid up front and that takes cash. Other teams have a greater cash flow at this time for whatever reason and that is one reason why the Chiefs are limited recuiting new players. That has been mentioned a few times in the paper.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Wouldn't the Chiefs only financial obstacle in recruting players be the salary cap?

I find it hard to believe that an organization which has sold out an 80K seat stadium for every game over a decade would be in a financial crunch.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Jus' watched FOX 4 News...they had some interviews about constructing a new Royals stadium in downtown. Heard some positive comments from three people at the game...two from Overland Park, one from Mission Hills...ALL vocalized strong support and wanted a new stadium in downtown! Then again, maybe they were Missourians in disguise since many of you clowns are convinced that JOCO is out to bash and ruin KCMO.
Last edited by QueSi2Opie on Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.