Downtown Baseball Stadium

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

No Que, I hate that idea, what would that be, just slightly better than Blue Ridge? We aren't going to straddle the river to get the northlands support. Screw KS if they can't support the urban core financially because it's in Missouri. More of the population of the Kansas side burbs are closer to the core than the Missouri side burbs that ussually foot the bill for projects like this without help from KS.

I would support an arena in Downtown KCK if that city had any life whatsoever (like St.Paul or something), but now I wouldn't, it would just embarris our metro, especially if they built it out at the redneck village.

Between the River and CC, THIS TOWN NEEDS CRITICAL MASS!
Last edited by GRID on Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

LyRiCaL GanGsTa wrote:Imagine - a new 40K seat stadium, the views, the urbanity, the pleasure of having world class fun within walking distance, just what KC downtown needs. Also imagine - 2 NEW high-rise hotels MINIMUM, that would be built RIGHT AWAY in anticipation of the new stadium. Think of the NEW mid-to-high-rise residential complexes within walking distance of the new stadium that would also happen IMMEDIATELY. Light rail would follow within 5 years if we did this, it would make perfect sense then, even to suburban dorks. This would be the biggest boon for downtown ever. This is needed 100 times more than a new arena, and we DESPERATLY need a new arena. .
Exactly, KC needs an arena bad, very bad, but a ballpark would do more for the city in a few years than an arena could do in a lifetime.

Why this town can't see some of the things being posted on this thread, I will never understand.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

GRID wrote:
LyRiCaL GanGsTa wrote:Imagine - a new 40K seat stadium, the views, the urbanity, the pleasure of having world class fun within walking distance, just what KC downtown needs. Also imagine - 2 NEW high-rise hotels MINIMUM, that would be built RIGHT AWAY in anticipation of the new stadium. Think of the NEW mid-to-high-rise residential complexes within walking distance of the new stadium that would also happen IMMEDIATELY. Light rail would follow within 5 years if we did this, it would make perfect sense then, even to suburban dorks. This would be the biggest boon for downtown ever. This is needed 100 times more than a new arena, and we DESPERATLY need a new arena. .
Exactly, KC needs an arena bad, very bad, but a ballpark would do more for the city in a few years than an arena could do in a lifetime.

Why this town can't see some of the things being posted on this thread, I will never understand.
You two echo my sentiments to a T. Very well said.

These things are just common sense. Baseball first, arena second. And we MUST get a new arena downtown. It would be the perfect complement to a new downtown stadium. Baseball provides 81 dates per year, mainly during weeknights. A new arena would complement, at the very least, with high profile weekend concert, truck pull, etc dates during the season and many more of the same plus NCAA stuff in the off season (MLB). ALL happening downtown.

Downtown would be SO much the better for it all too. All these people moving into lofts would prolly appreciate the variety as well. They moved downtown cuz they love downtown living, the bar/grill scene, arts, close location to work and would THEN have the option of going to events at a new arena and a Royals game.

This is a no brainer, folks. A no brainer.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Out of all the possible locations for a ballpark, do you think that the Washington Square location is the best place?

From the perpsective of the Crossroads development, no. This area is coming back strong, so it does not actually NEED something like a ballpark to spur development.

From the perspective of baseball fans, possibly. It sure would give folks something to do before and after the game. I do like that it is close enough to the entertainment district that people can walk, but still not right on top of it. I'd want definate assurances from the city though, that the developers would not come in and wipe out huge parcels of land and drive out the galleries and lofts and small businesses in the area.

What about putting the ballpark where the area supposedly is going, and put the arena down by washington square park? Is there enough space downtown for that or would streets have to be closed? Is one city block large enough or would some street closings be required?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like a riverfront baseball stadium the best....don't ask me why. Putting it in the Washington square area would be damn cool but might kill what's happening in the crossroads.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

tat2kc wrote:Out of all the possible locations for a ballpark, do you think that the Washington Square location is the best place?

From the perpsective of the Crossroads development, no. This area is coming back strong, so it does not actually NEED something like a ballpark to spur development.

From the perspective of baseball fans, possibly. It sure would give folks something to do before and after the game. I do like that it is close enough to the entertainment district that people can walk, but still not right on top of it. I'd want definate assurances from the city though, that the developers would not come in and wipe out huge parcels of land and drive out the galleries and lofts and small businesses in the area.

What about putting the ballpark where the area supposedly is going, and put the arena down by washington square park? Is there enough space downtown for that or would streets have to be closed? Is one city block large enough or would some street closings be required?
great points, tat2. i would welcome a well placed stadium downtown that serves as a win win win win for all involved. certainly, if the crossroads doesn't depend on a new stadium for continued development and another location of dowtown's development WOULD depend on a stadium, i'd be all for it.

the riverfront would seem to be a great idea, KC. i like that one as well....not as convenient for me personally, but who cares, it would be a great central location and wonderful for downtown and a redevloping riverfront that has so much potential and sorely needs stimulous to help attain that potential.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

tat2kc wrote:What about putting the ballpark where the area supposedly is going, and put the arena down by washington square park? Is there enough space downtown for that or would streets have to be closed? Is one city block large enough or would some street closings be required?
re: arena in washington park.

using my simple minded logic, the arena in this location would not be a bad idea. it would be hosting several musical artist's concerts and such. thus, it would tie in a little better with the sorrounding community and establishments. plus, a new arena would seem to take less total land area...maybe not a whole lot less, but certainly some.

just a thought.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

GRID wrote:No Que, I hate that idea
Aye, I guess I hate that idea too. It had been an idea to put a soccer stadium off Cambridge though.

Anyhow, I don't want to see a big ass blue Royals stickin' up in the middle of Washington Square Park between CC, Crossroads, Union Station, etc. I'd perfer it to be on the eastside of downtown, next to I-70 and 71, between Troost and The Paseo. Let the arena flood KC Live with people while the new Kauffman spurs more eastside development. Nothin' ever happens east of Troost when you compare it to the development to the west.
Last edited by QueSi2Opie on Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

First, I think the Crossroads District will become a victim of it’s own success regardless of where the stadium goes. That area just will not stay low profile, it’s location is just too good. I would like to see it stay the way it is though, KC already has plenty of places for yuppies.

Second, I don’t like the idea of a riverfront stadium. There just isn’t the infrastructure to support it (traffic jams would be horrible), you would have to construct a ton of parking garages, and there just isn’t much around there, nor will there ever be. The riverfront would be a nice condo development and or office park and of course keep improving the actual park itself and the bike trails etc.

The stadium needs to be a part of the fabric of Downtown, an anchor that is easy to get to and connects to other anchors of Downtown like the PAC, arena, CC, KC Live, Union Station, 18th & Vine etc.

The crossroads area is a big area and still by far, most of it is underused, but if you don’t to build to close to the galleries and don’t want to build on Washington Park, than go east of Crossroads to connect Crossroads to the Vine District, say north of the Hyatt, south of the new Star Press and that will spur needed development towards the jazz district and the east side of Downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I wouldn't mind the arena and stadium switching (bball stadium to the north), the only problem with that is the arena would be used a lot for conventions (big ones) and having it walkable to Bartle is key.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

good discussion.....i like everyone's logical input

GRID, you always say stuff i never think about....thanks for the perspective

KC....nice take on the arena tiein with bartle hall conventions. how deep do you thinks those ties would really be? in other words, do you really envision a new arena hosting enough "convention" type stuff to warrant being closer to bartle?

just thinking aloud
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The big reason I say that is I think that could be a huge selling point for bigger conventions as well as being a selling point to people who think we don't need a new arena.

I like the riverfront idea in theory, not practice for just what Grid said...infrastructure couldn't handle it.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If the new baseball stadium is placed in the Crossroads on Truman Road and Cherry near Bruce Watkins Expressway, it is likely to help many areas: the Union Station/Freighthouse, Crossroads Art District, Crown Center, KC Live, and Jazz District. The same goes for if it's placed in Washington Sq. Park.

If the baseball stadium does eventually come downtown-- and once Arrowhead becomes decrepit and obsolete, there will be pressure to build a new football stadium downtown as well. The most likely locations:

1,(Assuming the baseball stadium is built at the Truman Road and Cherry location) The football stadium could be built south of E. 18th St. between McGee and Campbell with part of the upper levels of the stadium built over the railroad tracks. If this option is chosen, the football stadium could use existing parking garages at Crown Center and Union Station, and the baseball stadium use parking garages at KC Live. In addition, a couple more could be constructed on blocks between E. 16th and 18th streets, and Cherry and Oak. This choice would really benefit the Grand Ave. corridor as well.

2. Assuming the baseball stadium is built at Washington Square Park, the football stadium could be built at the Cherry and Truman Road location. The baseball stadium would use existing parking garages at Crown Center and Union Station. The football stadium would use parking garages at KC Live.

3. Another option available if the baseball stadium is built at Washington Square Park is to place the football stadium at the SE corner of E. 18th and McGee. This option would allow both stadiums to use the existing garages at Crown Center and Union Station. This would also be the best option if one considers the advantage of using Union Station and commuter rail to deal with potential traffic problems in the future. These locations would also be on the BRT transit corridor. This option would benefit Crown Center, Union Station, and the Crossroads Art District the most.

4. The parcel bounded by Troost and Paseo, and Truman Rd. and E. 18th Street--the Jazz District location. If this option is chosen, the stadiums could share parking garages that would be built between Bruce Watkins and Troost, and Truman Road and E. 18th Street. In all likelihood, a bridge would be constructed over or under Bruce Watkins to allow people to access the baseball stadium from the parking garages.

Options 1, 2, and 3 could all utilize existing parking garages (or ones that will exist when the stadiums open).

Options 1 and 2 would equally benefit Crown Center and Union Station, and KC Live.

Option 4 would be the most expensive option because parking garages would have to be constructed to service both stadiums. This option would benefit the Jazz District and KC Live the most.

Any downtown location for both stadiums would greatly benefit the existing hotels in the central business district, Crown Center, and Union Hill. Homegames for both teams would bring in the out-of-town players, team officials, and visiting journalists.

One sidenote: I would thing having the baseball stadium between E. 18th, Cherry, and Truman Road would benefit the Negro Baseball Hall of Fame.
Last edited by FangKC on Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no fifth destination.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

I like a riverfront baseball stadium the best....don't ask me why
My idea, at the foot of Grand?
A new Royals stadium at Washington Square won't have any more impact on The Crossroads Art galleries than The new IRS complex taking over the old post office will. Let the artists stay west of Grand Avenue. The new stadium will help spur pedestrian traffic.
Last edited by LyRiCaL GanGsTa on Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

nice avatar, GanGtA
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The football stadium should stay at the complex. Ideally a new stadium or major renovations could occur there along with a soccer stadium and soccer field complex.
The stadium gets used only a few times a year and would take up way too much space in the core and replace it with dead space most of the time, plus, it would hurt mid jackson county area too much to removed the entire complex.

The acres of surface parking and football go hand in hand for tailgaiting etc and since going to a football game is typically an all day event, the few time a year there is a game probably wouldn't generate a lot of traffic for other attractions anyway. There would be little spin-off development around a new football stadium.

Just two different animals and we should treat them that way.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Anyhow, I don't want to see a big ass blue Royals stickin' up in the middle of Washington Square Park between CC, Crossroads, Union Station, etc.
I don't think anyone wants to see that. remember, Royals Stadium was built during the suburban cheese craze and the icons and emblems used were crap, but hip during that time. I see more of an artsy, urban feel for a new stadium in Washington Square, something that pulls from the urbanity of CC, the historical, art-deco simplicity of Union Station & Liberty memorial and the artistic hipness of The Crossroads.
With CC, Union Station and the new IRS (4-6000 strong) workforce PLUS the loop, this new stadium would pull thousands of foot traffic spectators and THE BEST KC has to offer would be right outside the stadiums front door for all of the world to see. KC would show the world how great this city is. Light rail would have to happen, talk about a critical mass!!!!!!
Last edited by LyRiCaL GanGsTa on Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

LyRiCaL GanGsTa wrote:
Anyhow, I don't want to see a big ass blue Royals stickin' up in the middle of Washington Square Park between CC, Crossroads, Union Station, etc.
I don't think anyone wants to see that. remember, Royals Stadium was built during the suburban cheese craze and the icons and emblems used were crap, but hip during that time. I see more of an artsy, urban feel for a new stadium in Washington Square, something that pulls from the urbanity of CC, the historical, art-deco simplicity of Union Station & Liberty memorial and the artistic hipness of The Crossroads.

With CC, Union Station and the new IRS (4-6000 strong) workforce PLUS the loop, this new stadium would pull thousands of foot traffic spectators and THE BEST KC has to offer would be right outside the stadiums front door for all of the world to see. KC would show the world how great this city is. Light rail would have to happen, talk about a critical mass!!!!!!
the primary finishing on the exterior of the stadium, if built in wash square, could be either lighter in tone to matchup with the aesthetics of crown center or brickish to mimic the warehouses and stuff in the crossroads area.

OR a mix thereof in some fashion
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I would love to see A BIGGER royals scoreboard on a stadium downtown. Be proud of our team.
Sticking the stadium east of downtown would be a big mistake IMO.
I would rather have the stadium where you can BE downtown and around the tallest buildings of the state. Downtown is alot more important than 18th & Vine or any other place in the eastside.

Cincinatti is how KC should look (stadium wise, not skyline or anything)
As is STL:

When you think of any city with a stadium they have an active downtown and more international/national perspective. Sure, we are just as big as these two but we aren't getting the attention we need.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

If the new baseball stadium is placed in the Crossroads on Truman Road and Cherry near Bruce Watkins Expressway, it is likely to help many areas: the Union Station/Freighthouse, Crossroads Art District, Crown Center, KC Live, and Jazz District. The same goes for if it's placed in Washington Sq. Park.
I humbly disagree (again)... People in this town won't walk more than 4-5 blocks...it just won't happen. Especially if the stadium is on the 'fringe'...where redeveloment is scarce. Suburbanites will only avoid the traffic and 'unsafe stigma' associated with downtown. "likely to help" is what they said about Kemper helping the West Bottoms and the West side, it didn't happen. Kemper was a typical "fringe" monstrosity that became a ghost town after the event. NO..NO..NO. This is pie in the sky to think we can put a $350 million project on the fringe of anything. I submit that we build the stadium in Washington Square park and watch downtown expand out to help 18th & Vine, not the other way around.

Having lived in KC all of my life, it's apparent to me we need the new stadium right in the middle of it all. We could even get by with a 35,000 seat stadium, more intimate than Kaufman, because of our market size. People from Kansas, Omaha, Des Moines, Iowa, Missouri and Arkansas will see all of KC's unique destinations. Downtown would freakin blow up!