Mapping Downtown Parking

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Mapping Downtown Parking

Post by normalthings »

I know it has been often brought up here that suburbanites struggles to find our many free or low cost public parking lots. Let’s fix this problem ourselves. If you know of any public parking places in downtown, mark then on Google and Apple maps. That way visitors to our beloved downtown will be better informed where they can park.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Mapping Downtown Parking

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I think they also struggle to parallel park. There are plenty of spots on the street
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

On a related note, you can also map bicycle parking. There is an app called bicycle parking that allows users to mark bicycle parking. Kansas City is very empty on that app.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I think they also struggle to parallel park. There are plenty of spots on the street
Downtown is approx 23 blocks E-W and 28 blocks N-S

So 28 * 23 *2 for N-S and E-W each
So that's 1736 city blocks

If 60% of street space has parking and there's room for 10 spots per block

10,400 on street spots downtown.

With 1 hour parking allowed 8-5 and perfect turnover, that's room for 93,000 cars downtown daily visiting local businesses.

If every car had four people in it could see 372,000 people downtown daily only using on street parking.

The idea that downtown is short on parking entirely has to do with problems accessing it and getting people to destinations. We know the streetcar helps people park elsewhere for the city market, a downtown only free bus could go a long way to providing options for more parts of downtown.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

No thanks, its taken me years to learn where the free parking is. I'm not giving away my secret spots.