Fixing KC's lack of downtown parking?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Fixing KC's lack of downtown parking?

Postby AllThingsKC » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 pm

I'm all for adding more signs if that works. But I was a suburbanite for years and I didn't need signs to tell me where to park.

If they help, great! But I have heard no complaints from suburbanites I know about downtown parking.
beautyfromashes wrote:This thread is now worse than the Downtown Stadium/ Save our Stadiums thread. It makes me want to shoot myself in the head everytime I see it turn red. Congratulations ATKC, you now = kcdcchef.

Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Postby Highlander » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:11 am

AllThingsKC wrote:I'm all for adding more signs if that works. But I was a suburbanite for years and I didn't need signs to tell me where to park.

If they help, great! But I have heard no complaints from suburbanites I know about downtown parking.

I've not heard complaints but I've certainly read them. Most of the complaints are from people unaware of the wealth of parking available and are looking instead for the non-existent parking equivalent to low hanging fruit. I also suspect many complain simply because parking is rarely free. I spent a lot of time downtown and still do when I'm in townand I never had an issue with parking because I pretty much know where to park now and expect to pay. I can understand why it my be a little problematic to suburbanites accustomed to parking immediately next to their destination with absolutely no ambiguity about getting towed or ticketed.

I really enjoyed the German practice of putting signs on the outskirts of town with all the parking garages and how many free spaces they had and then displaying well marked routes to each garage once in the city. That would be helpful in any US city. Much to my surprise there is help out there - here's a website I found

https://en.parkopedia.com/parking/downt ... 1802190300

that list doesn't look complete - isn't there public parking beneath Barney Allis Plaza?

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:02 am

Highlander wrote:
here's a website I found

https://en.parkopedia.com/parking/downt ... 1802190300

that list doesn't look complete - isn't there public parking beneath Barney Allis Plaza?

Yes. The Kauffman Center garage is huge and isn’t marked either

Return to “Downtown”