Downtown Hotels

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.

What Hotels Would You Like To See Downtown?

Hyatt
26%
W Hotels
53%
Motel 6
5%
Marriot Marquis
8%
Radisson
3%
Renaissance
No votes
Other
5%

Total votes: 38

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Downtown Hotels

Post by normalthings »

Seems like there is now a sizable number of hotels in downtown with many in the pipeline. Does anyone have a list of everything in the works or open?

Going Forward....
What hotels would you like to see in downtown KC?
What types of hotels and sizes do you think we need/would work the best?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Downtown Hotels

Post by kcjak »

I think the next step forward would be to see a W hotel, but the 21c and Crossroads hotels will really go a long way toward that hip quotient. Aside from a boutique hotel in the River Market, budget hotel (Best Western Plus or La Qunita types) seem logical. Does anyone think KC will ever attract a major resort hotel like JW Marriott or Marriott Marquis?
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

kcjak wrote:I think the next step forward would be to see a W hotel, but the 21c and Crossroads hotels will really go a long way toward that hip quotient. Aside from a boutique hotel in the River Market, budget hotel (Best Western Plus or La Qunita types) seem logical. Does anyone think KC will ever attract a major resort hotel like JW Marriott or Marriott Marquis?
I don't see a JW or Marquis coming along until there's need for yet another convention hotel. Or something persuades them to overhaul/divide the existing convention Marriott into a higher level brand.

In terms of hotels that should come to DT, the hyatt brand is completely missing. That plus a larger Hilton presence would be nice.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I would expect to see more budget hotels pop up in the near downtown category. There's room for a hotel cluster in NKC on Burlington
I wouldn't be surprised for a mid range brand to build on the riverfront in a future phase of that development
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I'd love to see a Kimpton Brand hotel in the Crossroads but its seems like their growth has really slowed down. W Hotels seem so out of style to me and kind of past its prime. I can't stand Aloft's, they all seem to have these weird cologne smells in them
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Given Intercontinental is in KC a Kimpton flagged boutique hotel could be possible (IHG owns them). Hyatt seems a given downtown or Plaza at some point as long as they see room to add another large one. Hyatt has been wanting back in the market but may have lost interest as room count grows. KC is oversaturated with Marriott brands.

Boutique hotels seem to be hurt most by Airbnb (both tend to attract adventurous travelers). Some boutiques now list rooms on Airbnb. If KC doesn't regulate abnbs more strictly (not suggesting they should), might be difficult for KC to attract more boutiques unless they post rooms via abnb. But some very nice places in KC are pretty cheap. A friend in a Hyde Park Victorian gets solid bookings throughout week/weekend outside Jan/Feb, has to charge notably less than even a below avg hotel room because others nearby her are cheap. Would like to charge more but too much competition, and downtown hotel room count going up as well. Will be interesting to see how the chips fall but if KCMO doesn't touch local Airbnb'r with restrictions, increase in hotel rooms could slow down.

Which would you rather have - fewer BNBs or fewer additional hotel rooms? More hotel rooms and fewer BNBs would probably be better for city core economy. Of course even better if both could continue to increase.
Last edited by earthling on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote:Given Intercontinental is in KC a Kimpton flagged boutique hotel could be possible (IHG owns them). Hyatt seems a given downtown or Plaza at some point as long as they see room to add another large one. Hyatt has been wanting back in the market but may have lost interest as room count grows. KC is oversaturated with Marriott brands.

Boutique hotels seem to be hurt most by Airbnb (both tend to attract adventurous travelers). Some boutiques now list rooms on Airbnb. If KC doesn't regulate abnbs more strictly (not suggesting they should), might be difficult for KC to attract more boutiques unless they post rooms via abnb. But some very nice places in KC are pretty cheap. A friend in a Hyde Park Victorian gets solid bookings throughout week/weekend outside Jan/Feb, has to charge notably less than even a below avg hotel room because others nearby her are cheap. Would like to charge more but too much competition, and downtown hotel room count going up as well. Will be interesting to see how the chips fall but if KCMO doesn't touch local Airbnb'r with restrictions, increase in hotel rooms could slow down.

Which would you rather have - fewer BNBs or fewer hotel rooms? More hotel rooms and fewer BNBs would probably be better for city core economy. Of course even better if both could continue to increase.
Problem is that it's too easy for people to just use an Airbnb in NKC or such. KCMO Airbnb Restrictions would just make KCMO worse off.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, there are pros/cons to KCMO only restrictions if nearby burbs have no restrictions. Reduced BNB rooms could potentially be rented out though so fewer BNBs and more hotel rooms likely best for city core economy. The consequence could be a slowdown in downtown hotel room growth before hitting level it should be. Maybe 8K-10K+ rooms? Downtown Indy has 7K rooms within the walkways alone (if I recall). Hopefully downtown KC can reach 7K rooms within a couple blocks of streetcar. Isn't downtown about to hit 6K when all announced rooms complete, with over 90% near streetcar? If potential hotel operators want tighter BNB restrictions before downtown hits that point, won't be surprising if KCMO pulls the trigger.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I can't stand Aloft's, they all seem to have these weird cologne smells in them
...and really loud music.