OFFICIAL - Ashland at River Market

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

OFFICIAL - Ashland at River Market

Post by kboish »

http://cityscenekc.com/developer-consid ... r-station/
KC Commercial Realty Group, which opened the 56-unit, five-story Centropolis project last year, has acquired property at 110 E. Third St. now occupied by Paw Paws.
So nice to have Collison breaking some stories for us again.

This would be a huge improvement for that sorry spot...unfortunately it is the same people who did Centropolis. Hopefully their second go round is a little more pedestrian friendly and attractive at street level, but you couldn't get much worse than what is already there.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: OFFICIAL - Ashland at River Market

Post by taxi »

Centropolis isn't my style, but it gets an A for effort. There is certainly room for improvement. I would say it's better than most of the other recently completed residential developments in the RM. The garage entrance is criminal, as is the mess outside the front door, making it completely inaccessible.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

That spot on 3rd between the asian market and the parking garage is a dead space that sucks the live out of a potentially vibrant block. A multi-level, multi-use development would be killer.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

They already received vacation of a small alley space to enable this project. Pretty sure it's going to proceed.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So nice to see this crappy lot finally with a plan. River Market appears to have a plan for every remaining large lot along streetcar line except for the one W of Minsky's (or does it?).

The Centropolis project was fine except at streetlevel. Let's hope they get the message for this one.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Retail on first floor is what I heard would happen.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

taxi wrote:Centropolis isn't my style, but it gets an A for effort. There is certainly room for improvement. I would say it's better than most of the other recently completed residential developments in the RM. The garage entrance is criminal, as is the mess outside the front door, making it completely inaccessible.
I'm glad it is there and not an empty gravel lot, but I still give them a C, C+ for effort. They intentionally forewent retail on the ground level because "it would compete with City Market", which of course they manage. That was a good decision for them, but a bad decision for Kansas City. They made zero attempt at any transparency at ground level. Delightful place for a mugging. Also the aforementioned shitshow outside the front door.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

All downtown developers should put a holding place for retail at ground level even if not initially used for retail. It could be temporarily used for exercise room, party/pool table room or even storage until good timing to use as retail or restaurant space. I'd go as far to say that this should be a requirement for buildings facing most core downtown streets. Developers typically don't think of 50+ year impact of their designs, city planners need to be allowed to enforce long term impact.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

All armchair developers should go get a very large loan and then pay the interest on it while they try to find a viable retail tenant, which is a thriving segment of the commercial rental marketplace. While they are at it, get another loan to install a kitchen and then find a restaurateur who will not go out of business.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

taxi wrote:While they are at it, get another loan to install a kitchen and then find a restaurateur who will not go out of business.
McDonalds?

Something like 60% of restaurants die within 3 years. So it's a coin toss on if a developer can find one that won't
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

taxi wrote:All armchair developers should go get a very large loan and then pay the interest on it while they try to find a viable retail tenant, which is a thriving segment of the commercial rental marketplace. While they are at it, get another loan to install a kitchen and then find a restaurateur who will not go out of business.
While I take your point and completely acknowledge KC's difficulty in this area historically, it will always be the case that not doing street level retail is cheaper than doing it. In which case we would end up with no street level retail.

If you don't push or incentivize it'll never happen.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Retail doesn't have to mean a restaurant - how about a dog groomer, nail salon, dry cleaner, laundromat, alterations, clothing store, etc.? Not everything is going to make it, but if you have a good product and fill a void in the market, you're already ahead of the game.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Fortunately, in at least some instances, parking garage space can be repurposed as retail.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

taxi wrote:All armchair developers should go get a very large loan and then pay the interest on it while they try to find a viable retail tenant, which is a thriving segment of the commercial rental marketplace. While they are at it, get another loan to install a kitchen and then find a restaurateur who will not go out of business.
What's the alternative? Blank walls across the entire city? If we can't put retail, or at least ground floor transparency at corners along our most visible transit route then where can we ever hope to have them?
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Found a new rendering...

This is for an 87-unit apartment building directly north of the River Market North streetcar stop. The development is called 'Ashland's' and it was designed by NPSJ.

Based on the rendering it looks like it is mostly a 6-story building, but 7 on the far east side. I see 2 spaces for street-level commercial/retail along 3rd although one or both could just be entrances.

Looks like it has some above-ground structured parking hidden on the back side of the building.

Here is the link.

KCDowntown
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by FangKC »

I like it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah that would work.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I approve
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

chrizow wrote:Looks good - is that project actually happening or just a preliminary rendering
GIS Plot has the same name as this project
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Talk about all white people in renderings, this one takes the cake!