Amazon searching for second HQ

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Amazon searching for second HQ

Post by FangKC »

The more I read about Amazon, the more I am determined not to buy anything on Amazon.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah I'm not an activist shopper and will tend to do what's convenient/practical but developing a distaste for Amazon - have been on/off with Prime, not renewing again. Some alternatives are newegg.com ($50 membership/3 day shipping/zero restocking fees), ebay, shoprunner.com, shopping.google.com and jet.com (though now owned by Walmart).

Is pretty hard to escape companies that have some form of exploitation. Apple had their suicide factory and child labor issues and even though they try to stay on top of it, huge margin profits and pleasing shareholders is more important to them than sharing profits with factory workers.

Consumerism is a bitch and if you don't want to play you pretty much would have to disconnect from the grid and live off the land. Living small and going local the next best thing I suppose.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's becoming harder because of so much consolidation, and storefront retail going out of business.

I don't know at what point that it will be necessary to use anti-trust laws to break up some of these companies that are getting close to becoming monopolies in some markets.

For example, Wal-mart is often the only option for many small towns because Wal-mart caused much of the former, local retail to go out of business (grocery stores, hardware stores, auto centers).
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

And Wal-mart several years ago turned into a giant consignment shop - most vendors don't get paid until their product sells. It was a huge hit to vendors who had to move product back onto their books, but a boon to Wal-mart.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I just use Amazon or Google Shopping Tab to comparison shop then just buy it directly from the manufacturer or on another site

Example - A product I buy is 12 bucks on Amazon vs 8 directly from company - Its 4 bucks to ship directly from company but if i buy over over $50 worth its free shipping so i save 4 bucks - I need 7 of these items to get free shipping so the total is 56 bucks, now if i wanted to buy 7 of this same exact product from Amazon the total comes to a whopping 84 bucks, i mean what is the point of having Prime if you are overpaying by almost 30 bucks. Hell, you are still coming ahead if you only needed 2 of these items and paid the 4 bucks in shipping

This is probably an extreme example and there is probably lots of savings on Amazon but I really have no urge to shop on there because the pricing is wild from item to item
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

earthling wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:05 pm Yeah I'm not an activist shopper and will tend to do what's convenient/practical but developing a distaste for Amazon - have been on/off with Prime, not renewing again. Some alternatives are newegg.com ($50 membership/3 day shipping/zero restocking fees), ebay, shoprunner.com, shopping.google.com and jet.com (though now owned by Walmart).

Is pretty hard to escape companies that have some form of exploitation. Apple had their suicide factory and child labor issues and even though they try to stay on top of it, huge margin profits and pleasing shareholders is more important to them than sharing profits with factory workers.

Consumerism is a bitch and if you don't want to play you pretty much would have to disconnect from the grid and live off the land. Living small and going local the next best thing I suppose.
https://www.amazon.com/Communist-Manife ... SY340_QL65
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

=D>
phuqueue wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:38 pm
earthling wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:05 pm Yeah I'm not an activist shopper and will tend to do what's convenient/practical but developing a distaste for Amazon - have been on/off with Prime, not renewing again. Some alternatives are newegg.com ($50 membership/3 day shipping/zero restocking fees), ebay, shoprunner.com, shopping.google.com and jet.com (though now owned by Walmart).

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Me: "Amazon is an exploitative, hideous corporation which oppresses its employees and exacerbates ecological disaster."

Also Me: "[orders single furnace air filter with free next-day shipping, which is packaged in a box 10x larger than necessary]"
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

phuqueue wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:38 pm

Not following. There's a big difference between choosing at what level you are conscious of engaging in consumerism at a personal level and desiring a govt to force social engineering conditions on capitalism. And I didn't imply the latter.

IE, if you don't like companies like Apple making huge profits using labor essentially living below dignity, don't buy their products. Apple shouldn't be forced to share their profits with those who make their products, but I would challenge them about it - and point it out to their user base they are essentially supporting this.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Complaining about companies exploiting labor is way closer to what the book actually talks about than "desiring a govt to force social engineering conditions on capitalism."

And then, specifically, linking to it for sale on Amazon was a joke.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

New York Should Say No to Amazon
A city that thrives on the energy of its neighborhood merchants should not offer incentives and giveaways to an internet giant known for squashing small businesses.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/09/opin ... mw0-fxkjEA
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Amazon is putting 5000 corporate jobs in Nashville Yards development, DT Nashville. That city is on fire.

Would be incredible to see something like this in north or east loop. We have a long way to go.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/ ... 986508002/
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Is anyone else scared by this? I guarantee Amazon will not even focus on retail with these new locations, I guarantee these offices are going to be focused on ventures like AI, Automation, Augmented Reality, Robotics, Defense Contracting, Its like Amazon just throws darts at shit and trys to conquer it.

Could you imagine if Walmart went from being this small retail company to getting involved in all aspects of things related to the internet (Our Lives). There would be outrage.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Could you imagine if Walmart went from being this small retail company to getting involved in all aspects of things related to the internet (Our Lives). There would be outrage.
Can you imagine if Walmart put a multi-thousand job satellite office in DT KC? There would be celebration :D
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:26 pm
Take away the Internet and think of what walmart was.

Auto repair, grocery, music, electronics, books, craft supplies, sporting goods, clothing, housewares, pharmacy, gardening, furniture, office supplies, toys, hardware, pet supplies, photo were all separate businesses before walmart.

There was tons of outrage. Many cities fought walmart entering their town. It's well known they would often ignore the complaints and open the store just outside the city limits. To this day in urban areas you can see which places played ball with Walmart because if they didn't get the deal they wanted they moved to the next town over.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

flyingember wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:24 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:26 pm
Take away the Internet and think of what walmart was.

Auto repair, grocery, music, electronics, books, craft supplies, sporting goods, clothing, housewares, pharmacy, gardening, furniture, office supplies, toys, hardware, pet supplies, photo were all separate businesses before walmart.

There was tons of outrage. Many cities fought walmart entering their town. It's well known they would often ignore the complaints and open the store just outside the city limits. To this day in urban areas you can see which places played ball with Walmart because if they didn't get the deal they wanted they moved to the next town over.
Thats the point I was trying to make, Amazon is basically a Walmart now but there isn't a whole ton of pushback or outrage like walmart recieved
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Say "no" to the richest company in the world? This is America!
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

It's pretty cool how the $1.5 billion deal Andrew Cuomo cut with Amazon that everybody hates and that he intends to circumvent the City Council to push through got announced a week after the election. The system works!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

rxlexi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:52 pm
Can you imagine if Walmart put a multi-thousand job satellite office in DT KC? There would be celebration :D
Absolutely. A Walmart store is just there (or here) to suck wealth out of a city and bring it back to Fayeteville. Put a satellite HQ in KC and it's a game changer. I'd want both Walmart offices and Amazon but I could care less about getting a Walmart store - or for that matter buying anything from Amazon.

I normally avoid Amazon, not because of any issue with Amazon itself or sense of angst towards corporate America. I just want retail to survive and thrive. I'd be happy to pay a bit more, and suffer the inconveniences of walking and time consumption, to buy a book from Barnes and Noble over Amazon.