Bryant Building

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Bryant Building

Post by shinatoo »

Stupidly I had always pictured the Bryant Building as the SW Bell building. I thought the black and white faced was what they put on in 74. But obviously, it's not. The black on the Bryant Building is filthy terra cotta between each floors windows. Whats the story on this building? Almost nothing on the internet. I consider it to be the ugliest building in our skyline. Wash your damn building.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Bryant Building

Post by shinatoo »

A little more searching and it appears it's now called 1102 Grand and is mainly a data center. Business journal thinks this is a good use as it has no dedicated parking. It's like some kind of zombie building. Clean it up.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Funny, this is one of my favorite buildings DT.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Up close I think it's fine and has a lot of potential. But from a distance...ugh.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote:A little more searching and it appears it's now called 1102 Grand and is mainly a data center. Business journal thinks this is a good use as it has no dedicated parking. It's like some kind of zombie building. Clean it up.
It's a data center and carrier hotel

http://www.netralityproperties.com/loca ... ansas-city

it's one of the few buildings downtown with generators. they're really hard to get approved. one former employer had the space and couldn't make it happen
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

beautyfromashes wrote:Funny, this is one of my favorite buildings DT.
Mine also. This building is a gem!
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I understand why you would hate the pollution, but the entire building? I think it's one of the city's best examples of art deco, better than the P&L building honestly.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Like I said. Hate it from a distance. Mainly because it looks like vertical black and white stripes. Also, the mechanical units on top are offensive. Clean it up and it would probably be fine. It's fine now up close. Probably great if it was cleaned up. Street level offers nothing. Prime location for retail and it's just a bunch of privacy windows. Complain about the Corrigan Building and we already have spaces like this that aren't being utilized.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Looks like some work is being done in the arcade. Too bad nobody will get to experience it.....
You can barely see it past the reflections, but there's some nice grillwork in the entry
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Some interesting pictures of what the thing looks like inside and such, from here: https://netrality.com/locations/data-ce ... nsas-city/

Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

It would be cool if the building owners would use some lighting to make it stand out at night. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen it’s exterior lighted. Maybe there are archived photos with some kind of original exterior lighting?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

When the Sydney's chain existed they had a grille on the Petticoat Lane side. The architect of One KC Place liked Bryant so much he used 2 halves of it's profile with the profile of City Hall stuck in between all in glass for the design.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Major KC Fan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:21 pm It would be cool if the building owners would use some lighting to make it stand out at night. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen it’s exterior lighted. Maybe there are archived photos with some kind of original exterior lighting?
They're pretty militant about security, so I doubt they'd want to call attention to the building with decorative lighting. It would be cool though! So much detail above street view.
crazywarriorman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by crazywarriorman »

I stumbled across these historic photos online. What's really cool is that it was the tallest building in Kansas City at the time of construction and that it only took a mere 7 months to complete. It also was so large that it needed its own power substation in the sub basement in order to provide enough power to the building.

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Awesome find! Thanks for sharing
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

A previous Bryant Building was demolished to allow that Bryant Building to be constructed.

https://kchistory.org/islandora/object/ ... fset%5D=12
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:29 pm
Major KC Fan wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:21 pm It would be cool if the building owners would use some lighting to make it stand out at night. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen it’s exterior lighted. Maybe there are archived photos with some kind of original exterior lighting?
They're pretty militant about security, so I doubt they'd want to call attention to the building with decorative lighting. It would be cool though! So much detail above street view.
Makes some sense they’d want to keep low profile. But if this were 100% why is there a big pink/purple/orange signage at street level with the company name and calling out “cloud journey” pretty much screams tech something going on. It would be cool to spruce up the exterior with cool lights though
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Could not have been tallest in KC at the time. SW Bell in background was and is taller. Would like to see the exterior floodlighting mentioned revived. Design was influenced by a rejected entry for the Chicago Tribune design competition. Interesting they tout Ready Mixed Concrete, which was boss Tom Pendergast's company.