OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
ULCajun
Pad site
Pad site

Re: OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Post by ULCajun » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:16 am

Anecdotal, but I work in the old creamery building, and they seem legit.

brewcrew1000
Penntower
Penntower

Post by brewcrew1000 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:08 am

"A sports pub with several outdoor sand volleyball courts on the north side of the property at the northwest corner of 17th and McGee"

I dunno, the sand volleyball courts just seems so weird to me. Wonder if we would be the first city in the US to have sand volleyball courts in a central downtown setting that isn't Park type land or some kind of fringe warehouse district

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by scooterj » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:01 am

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:08 am
"A sports pub with several outdoor sand volleyball courts on the north side of the property at the northwest corner of 17th and McGee"

I dunno, the sand volleyball courts just seems so weird to me. Wonder if we would be the first city in the US to have sand volleyball courts in a central downtown setting that isn't Park type land or some kind of fringe warehouse district
This is already under construction, isn't it? There were sand piles there a couple months back, and they already have a liquor license.

KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:52 pm

brewcrew1000 wrote:

Oklahoma City has sand volleyball in their Bricktown area called "Bricktown Beach."
http://www.tulsapeople.com/images/cache ... 8127340824

WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by WoodDraw » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:54 pm

I have no problem with volleyball courts being in that area, other than I hope the neighborhood is all in. I don't know that area super well, but outdoor volleyball tends to be loud. Music, drinking, talking, etc. There's a reason you normally don't find them in cities.

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveKCMO » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:56 pm

scooterj wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:01 am
brewcrew1000 wrote:

This is already under construction, isn't it? There were sand piles there a couple months back, and they already have a liquor license.
The way I understand it, the sports pub will occupy an add-on structure that has loading docks. They were going to demo it but decided to keep it once they got inside. They got the sand for cheap or free through some deal, so that's why it's been on site for a couple of months.

missingkc
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by missingkc » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:36 pm

I wonder what was on that block with the Star building prior to the parking lots.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:35 pm

I think the south side of the building originally had a large landscaped garden area that extended to 18th Street.

rxlexi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by rxlexi » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:19 am

The Star has new info on this development - now named Grand Place. If it all comes together as planned, should be an amazing addition to the city.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 07260.html

chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by chaglang » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:49 pm

RIP to the Hare and Hare-designed Italianate garden on the south side of the building.

Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Highlander » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:59 pm

I am assuming this development will be a bit like the Ferry Building Marketplace in San Francisco?

https://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/

rxlexi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by rxlexi » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:28 pm

I am assuming this development will be a bit like the Ferry Building Marketplace in San Francisco?
I don't believe the Ferry Building has the same concentration of office space that is planned here, it is more exclusively a food hall, to the best of my knowledge.

TheLastGentleman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheLastGentleman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:19 pm

Putting these here for convenience.

grecobs
Pad site
Pad site

Post by grecobs » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:35 pm

This is a game changer for downtown KC. Will spur a ton of development surround the site.

chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by chaglang » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:39 am

To me this project seems to be riding the wave development that’s already happened in the east crossroads and because of the streetcar. Which is fine, but I would be surprised if there was much ripple effect from it (despite whatever the incentives applications might say, haha).