OFFICIAL - Grand Place (former KC Star building)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - KC Star building redevelopment

Post by DaveKCMO »

On the docket: http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Docum ... 2bthxSreV7
BE IT ORDAINED BY THE COUNCIL OF KANSAS CITY:

Section 1. That the City Manager is hereby authorized to execute a Development Agreement with 1729 Grand, LLC that contemplates the City’s support for establishing the general framework for the construction and financing of the Project as defined in the Development Agreement. The Development Agreement is approved in substantial form as attached hereto.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Will be held one week, I heard.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah that was my reaction. Should have mixed some affordable housing in they would have gotten immediate approval.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: KC Star building redevelopment

Post by snigglefritz »

Combine this with the potential relocation of the UMKC Arts Campus along 18th Street and that whole corridor just blows the fuck up. Wowza.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Great location for an urban Target, maybe a Walgreens too. ?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I thought there was already some kind of food hall coming, i think it was on Locust maybe
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:07 am I thought there was already some kind of food hall coming, i think it was on Locust maybe
yeah, there can't be two within a couple blocks of each other. this project sounds exciting but the food hall/office concept no doubt will change substantially.

rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Agree with Chrizow. If this was a retail center, I would be absolutely ecstatic - and this is good location for it with the provided parking and visibility.

Not sure that we need or can support another large food-based marketplace. Or at least I would prefer any such development to piggyback on the existing, fantastic City Market. Also, the volleyball. This stuff exists elsewhere, and I would prefer to concentrate it.

Love the restoration of the old Star building though, and the potential for new construction on the lots surrounding it. The design of the marketplace looks awesome. Will wait and see how this takes shape; very happy to see the xroads continue to boom.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

A food hall ultimately is just a casual restaurant. Crossroads can support more casual restaurants. So happy Vince decided to go public with the details. I knew you all would be excited!

Also: TWO RESTORED SKYLIGHTS
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

A food hall ultimately is just a casual restaurant. Crossroads can support more casual restaurants. So happy Vince decided to go public with the details. I knew you all would be excited!
True enough.

But, give me this instead - http://www.tulsaboxyard.com/

Mix of food concepts, retail, services. Plus the additional office space included in the Star plan. Win win win.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:59 am
True enough.

But, give me this instead - http://www.tulsaboxyard.com/

Mix of food concepts, retail, services. Plus the additional office space included in the Star plan. Win win win.
Container Park in Las Vegas is even cooler than that.

https://downtowncontainerpark.com/photos/
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The food hall (for this development) sounds more like an actual grocery store with an attached outdoor market area, plus restaurants. It sounds great to me.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah this and parlor sounds way different even thought hey are both called food halls.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The four story underground garage is particularly interesting to me. Seems like a pretty fancy garage for an area with a lot of surface parking already. Perhaps they already have larger plans?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Does this developer have a reliable history? Smells like over promise to get breaks then cut back and deliver a cinder block. Hope I'm wrong.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Unless I'm looking at the wrong stuff, it looks like they've already started parts of this.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:00 pm Biz Journal coverage: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... pment.html
The project, called The Grand, would have 200,000 square feet of office and 50,000 square feet of retail, according to documents submitted to the city by developer 3D Development.

I wish they would call it The Star Chamber instead. :P
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

earthling wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:12 pm Does this developer have a reliable history? Smells like over promise to get breaks then cut back and deliver a cinder block. Hope I'm wrong.
Here is the developer's website.

http://dream-design-develop.com/
Bryant has had extensive experience renovating historic buildings in the Crossroads. His firm, 3D Development, renovated the former Creamery building at 2100 Central; the ON Broadway building at 2101 Broadway, and an office building at 18th and McGee.

His biggest project, done in partnership with Copaken Brooks, was the Corrigan Station renovation project. That 10-story building at 18th and Walnut was renovated as premier office space and a new garage built.

The project opened in 2016 and is 100 percent occupied.
https://cityscenekc.com/ambitious-95m-r ... d-parking/