OFFICIAL - IRS HQ construction

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Another step....TIF commission approval.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

One more step to go....Congress approval and then leasing negotiations begin.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... ily27.html

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I heard at the RevUpKC / city council QA last night that this was going ahead and was a sure thing from Bonnie Sue Cooper...not sure about the veracity of that, but she seemed pretty certain.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

That's great news. The momentum downtown is simply fantastic.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yeah, maybe one day it'll be like a real downtown, after 5, too.

I sure hope so.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

real downtown? I think KC downtown is like a typical downtown in the US right now.....hopefully we'll rise above that.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I say, too bad, so sad.....pay the 1%.....bring jobs back to the city. They won't have to pay for parking...IRS will give them parking obviously.

No matter how much you don't make......you still shop and Crown Center and Union Station being close to their workplace will have some effect...if nothing more than putting it in their minds to bring people back on their days off.

macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post office

Post by macnw »

Any thoughts on how the IRS project may effect future housing in the area? What about the proposal for housing in Penn Valley Park? The Freighthouse seems like another logical place to further some of these stalled developments. Has anyone heard what the buildings will look like. Will they try to retain the feel of the area(Art Deco) or go modern?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

the biggest stumbling block to further housing and development in the freighthouse area, and specifically the Stuart Hall Building, is the continued existenceb of the damn PCB building, at 2100 Wyandotte. It is right outside my window and a huge eyesore. It is apparantly a Superfund site, and requires federal involvement for its demolition.

Does anyone familiar with this building or other simarily contaminated buildings know what the timetable is on the demolition. I do know that it is supposed to come down, but WHEN??????? :evil: :evil:
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

PCB Building

Post by KCDowntown »

I have no idea what the timetable for the demolition of the PCB building is. However, I do recall reading somewhere that it will be demolished brick-by-brick - to keep from releasing a lot of contimation into the air.

KCDowntown
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

:cheers:
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

woohoo!!!!! very very cool! Actually never expected it to move this fast, especiallly with the feds involved!!! :P
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

In KCTV5's story on this project they mentioned something about IRS workers griping about having to work downtown. They're going to have their own parking ramp and will be locating in one of the best parts of the city...what a bunch of babies!!! I'd be happy to work across the street from Union Station and next door to Crown Center.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

trailerkid wrote:In KCTV5's story on this project they mentioned something about IRS workers griping about having to work downtown.
I woud imagine that right now most of them live southern burbs and beyond, since the two current offices are on Bannister and 119th and Whatever. For someone who lives in Harrisonville that would double their commute, so it's undestandable they would be unhappy.

Eventually they will move closer, get used to the commute, or switch jobs. The latter seems pretty likely since most of these jobs seem to be low-wage and high-turnover. This will provide a huge employment opportunity for people in the city.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Excellent!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

awesome!!!! Fastest thing I've ever seen the government do......let's get ground moving.

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

another thing that would bring more traffic and revenue into union station would be to turn the old Fitz's restaurant into a night club. It has a separate entrance off the parking lot. That would sure bring a good crowd into the station from the hotels at crown center. People would be in station from early morning till late at night!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Tat...I agree completely....what I actually thought was something like a Gameworks or Dave and Buster's...something that kind of ties into the "kid's" theme but turning more for "big kids" as the night went on.

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

If i remember correctly, that was the original intent of the theatre disctict. To have educational type shows till the evening, then move into a more adult oriented area. It never materialized.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

tat2kc wrote:If i remember correctly, that was the original intent of the theatre disctict. To have educational type shows till the evening, then move into a more adult oriented area. It never materialized.
It was, but they haven't really offered anything that interested anyone, at least until the now. I have heard Late Night Catechism is doing really well, but haven't seen it myself. Maybe this will encourage them to bring some of the smaller local theater groups in addition to their Disney-style shows. It might have been cool if the Late Night Theater group had moved in there when the Old Chelsea got torn down.