Getting involved downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Getting involved downtown

Post by WoodDraw »

I hope this is okay to start a new thread for.

I've recently moved back downtown after a few years away, and I'm feeling pretty out of it. Are there any good organizations to get in touch with? I'm thinking mostly on the development/advocacy side, but just anything interesting out there I'd love to hear.

Anything you guys like, send it at me.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Getting involved downtown

Post by AllThingsKC »

Number one on my list would probably be the downtown council. That's a good way of meeting other downtown residents and keeping up with downtown causes and events.

http://www.downtownkc.org

I'd also recommend the Downtown​ Neighborhood Association.
Last edited by AllThingsKC on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Downtown neighborhood association
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

A very accessible and informal option would be The Downtowners.
Dues free, this group primarily meets monthly at a luncheon and provides a guest speaker on topics related to the growth of downtown.
http://www.kcdowntowners.com/
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I'll second the Downtown Neighborhood Association for anyone living downtown. The next DNA event is a post-Election Day happy hour on the 4th: https://www.facebook.com/events/116585815541270/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Per another thread, would like to see DNA or other downtown orgs encourage downtown businesses/event managers to promote using transit in their Pitch or Ink ads. In large cities some biz will put in their ads which transit stop they are nearest along with address, such as... "2 blocks E of Crossroads streetcar stop"

If anyone a member, might bring that up.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

One really easy way to be involved is to report to 311 the clear violations that make downtown look bad.

Graffiti is an easy one. I mean tags specifically. It's not about penalizing the property owners but if the city has a record of a lot of tags they can use it for stronger prosecution if they catch the person.

The same idea says to report busted windows, fences and the like. Something that could let a thief into a building.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

loftguy wrote:A very accessible and informal option would be The Downtowners.
Dues free, this group primarily meets monthly at a luncheon and provides a guest speaker on topics related to the growth of downtown.
http://www.kcdowntowners.com/
Yes, I second this group. $25 bucks to go to lunch and listen to a speaker. No ongoing dues, come and go as you please.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

swid wrote:I'll second the Downtown Neighborhood Association for anyone living downtown. The next DNA event is a post-Election Day happy hour on the 4th: https://www.facebook.com/events/116585815541270/
ditto.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Super helpful. I went to the downtowners.

Is there any reason this isn't done as an after work event? I am by no means criticizing them, because everything was great. But it seemed a bit on the pretentious side... And by no fault of their own! But a bunch of people showing up in suits, expensed by their business, I mean... It doesn't exactly show inclusiveness to downtown.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I had always assumed that the Downtowners were a business-only group, to be honest.

Anyway, based on your description, I can guarantee you that the Downtown Neighborhood Association is *way* less pretentious. :-)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Does anyone know of any organizations or companies downtown that are offering summer internships or would be willing to? Generally in realestate, transit, or anything to do with growing downtown.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

WoodDraw wrote:Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Super helpful. I went to the downtowners.

Is there any reason this isn't done as an after work event? I am by no means criticizing them, because everything was great. But it seemed a bit on the pretentious side... And by no fault of their own! But a bunch of people showing up in suits, expensed by their business, I mean... It doesn't exactly show inclusiveness to downtown.
Hey, you are correct, the KCDowntowners is largely what you described. I am on the board, however, when I first joined I assumed it would be more casual and true downtown focus. After two years on the board and the one who handles the finances it is largely a gathering of bankers/developers/architects (i.e anyone with skin in the game). We talk constantly about diversifying our speaker lineup but also know that development projects (plus Mayor and City manager) draw the largest crowds. I totally hear you though.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Whatever the initial goal, charging for events that are held during the day turns it into a business-centric group. You basically copied a Rotary Club or Chamber of Commerce. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not a good public activity until the speaking events are free and on the weekend or evening.

Don't stop doing what works but there's room for an activity that doesn't exist today.

It's obviously hard to pick a place to live going from building to building and harder before a model unit goes up. Downtown also has unique challenges for living and working.

Hold a free downtown living and working support event together with the city, CID, chamber and big employers. Give space to developers, real estate agents where people can ask about their upcoming units. Combine this with a speaking event where the city, community groups and the like can tell about the latest changes coming to downtown and nearby. Get city representatives like for opening businesses, public relations, public works where people can have questions answered about what's allowed downtown in an urban environment.

Basically be a one stop shop for boosting downtown.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

flyingember wrote:Whatever the initial goal, charging for events that are held during the day turns it into a business-centric group. You basically copied a Rotary Club or Chamber of Commerce. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not a good public activity until the speaking events are free and on the weekend or evening.

Don't stop doing what works but there's room for an activity that doesn't exist today.

It's obviously hard to pick a place to live going from building to building and harder before a model unit goes up. Downtown also has unique challenges for living and working.

Hold a free downtown living and working support event together with the city, CID, chamber and big employers. Give space to developers, real estate agents where people can ask about their upcoming units. Combine this with a speaking event where the city, community groups and the like can tell about the latest changes coming to downtown and nearby. Get city representatives like for opening businesses, public relations, public works where people can have questions answered about what's allowed downtown in an urban environment.

Basically be a one stop shop for boosting downtown.
Agreed.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

You also have to pay to play, but the Urban Core Group has been providing adult field trips for many, many years.
http://kcurbancoregroup.com/
At one time they were a 'free' gathering that introduced people to downtown properties, businesses and developments of interest.
They still provide that link to what's going on, but you now have to pay to attend.
I believe they still provide food, wine and beer for attendees.....that's the reason for the cost associated.
That and the fact that they were attracting crowds in the hundreds and it was over the top.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

ldai_phs wrote:Does anyone know of any organizations or companies downtown that are offering summer internships or would be willing to? Generally in realestate, transit, or anything to do with growing downtown.
Check with the Downtown Council. They generally utilize interns over the summer and otherwise might be a good connector to other opportunities.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

hartliss wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Super helpful. I went to the downtowners.

Hey, you are correct, the KCDowntowners is largely what you described. I am on the board, however, when I first joined I assumed it would be more casual and true downtown focus. After two years on the board and the one who handles the finances it is largely a gathering of bankers/developers/architects (i.e anyone with skin in the game). We talk constantly about diversifying our speaker lineup but also know that development projects (plus Mayor and City manager) draw the largest crowds. I totally hear you though.
Thanks for the kind reply. I'll echo what flyingmember said in that holding a luncheon inevitably leads to this. Nothing wrong with it, and there is a place for it. But I found it a pretty intimidating atmosphere for a place that is supposedly supposed to be a gathering of people interested in downtown.

I have a sample size of one, but I also think we missed out on better questions of how the building will interact with the community instead of everyone congratulating themselves.

Criticism aside though, I really did enjoy it. Thanks for serving on the board and putting together a great event.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

WoodDraw wrote:
hartliss wrote:

Thanks for the kind reply. I'll echo what flyingmember said in that holding a luncheon inevitably leads to this. Nothing wrong with it, and there is a place for it. But I found it a pretty intimidating atmosphere for a place that is supposedly supposed to be a gathering of people interested in downtown.

I have a sample size of one, but I also think we missed out on better questions of how the building will interact with the community instead of everyone congratulating themselves.

Criticism aside though, I really did enjoy it. Thanks for serving on the board and putting together a great event.
Yea, I am in the same boat (Even though I am on the board). Needless to say my perception of the group is far different than what I actually a part of. Thanks for attending though!