OFFICIAL - The Gallerie (27th & Gillham)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
smh
Supporter

Re: OFFICIAL - The Gallerie (27th & Gillham)

Post by smh »

Critical_Mass wrote:They seem to be nicer than the 27th & Campbell ones but maybe not as high-end as the ones they build near 63rd & Oak (which are $500k or more)

2 BRs are 1474 sf (plus 2 car garage)
3 BRs are 1621 and 1633 sf (plus 2 car garage)
So around $250 per finished sq foot
I have also reached out the developer but haven't heard anything back, so this information is appreciated.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

smh wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:Not that much better.
I hear you, but as a downtown worker I feel like I can still pretty easily live a carless life at 27th/McGee. Currently a little more difficult at 27th/Campbell though that is definitely changing fast. Imagine if the city made 27th attractive through that corridor instead of a traffic sewer. Could be real nice.
I'm with you there. We looked at the Campbell ones. We are a 1 car family and are trying to keep it that way. Would have been more challenging from that location.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

smh wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:Not that much better.
I hear you, but as a downtown worker I feel like I can still pretty easily live a carless life at 27th/McGee. Currently a little more difficult at 27th/Campbell though that is definitely changing fast. Imagine if the city made 27th attractive through that corridor instead of a traffic sewer. Could be real nice.
I was taking photos of the townhouses at 27th and Campbell and noticed that they are exposed to a lot of traffic noise. The ones on McGee Trafficway up against the cemetery would probably be quieter, and if they were 3-stories high, would have nice bucolic cemetery views from the back of the houses.

The convenience store across the street with the ratty chain link fence probably doesn't help sell those townhouses.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Looking west at 27th and Gillham.

Looking at the SE corner of 27th and McGee.

I also noticed that landscaping has been done on the north side of 27th Street at McGee Trafficway.

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Can't wait to see this. Thanks.
Last edited by missingkc on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

This is starting to look interesting viewed from mid block McGee. The masses of apartment blocks rise in three misaligned tiers. There are glimpses of open interior courtyards. Sort of a Euro vibe. There will be 5 types of cladding and 2 colors of window and frame.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Was there supposed to be bike lanes on 27th connecting Grand and McGee?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Eon Blue wrote:Was there supposed to be bike lanes on 27th connecting Grand and McGee?
I believe the final product is a bike lane part way that continues up the hill on the sidewalk or something like that. My understanding is that you can thank the prior BikeKC person and PW generally for that. They are convinced that 27th will need to be widened at some point and are loathe to let me see what it could be otherwise.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Hmmm.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

27th Street is now completely missing adjacent to this project. That was a surprise on my way to work this morning.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

scooterj wrote:27th Street is now completely missing adjacent to this project. That was a surprise on my way to work this morning.
Supposed to be blocked for around 12 weeks :(
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The plans for 9 townhomes in phase 2 of this development have been uploaded to the Development Tracker.

http://maps.kcmo.org/kcgis/rest/service ... ents/30415

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

27th Street just west of Gillham has been completely removed down to bare dirt. Excavation has begun for the apartment building SW of 27th & McGee.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

From 27th Terrace & McGee this is going to look like either a modernist hill town or a Soviet apartment block. Not sure. The windows going in are dark framed dark smokey glass. Varied groupings of mostly narrow floor to ceiling in ones, twos or threes. I think this is going to somehow appear very harmonious with the original Crown Center of 45 years ago. Excavation on SW corner for other apartments reveals basements of buildings long vanished, being used as retaining walls for construction of underground parking level. This is going to be an instant new neighborhood where nothing but empty lots have existed for most living memories. Quite a contrast with the old town Victorian veneer of Union Hill 2 blocks south. Will there always be a no-mans land in between or what design will prevail? Tomorrowland or Main St USA?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

moderne wrote: Will there always be a no-mans land in between or what design will prevail? Tomorrowland or Main St USA?
Milhaus has an option to purchase that land. I don't recall when it expires, but I'm guessing they will exercise it, unless the current phase bombs or they are too busy with their Crossroads and Troost projects.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

moderne wrote:From 27th Terrace & McGee this is going to look like either a modernist hill town or a Soviet apartment block. Not sure. The windows going in are dark framed dark smokey glass. Varied groupings of mostly narrow floor to ceiling in ones, twos or threes. I think this is going to somehow appear very harmonious with the original Crown Center of 45 years ago. Excavation on SW corner for other apartments reveals basements of buildings long vanished, being used as retaining walls for construction of underground parking level. This is going to be an instant new neighborhood where nothing but empty lots have existed for most living memories. Quite a contrast with the old town Victorian veneer of Union Hill 2 blocks south. Will there always be a no-mans land in between or what design will prevail? Tomorrowland or Main St USA?
I'd love to see some photos. Although I was never crazy about the renderings, I thought the proposed townhomes would be perfectly located. McGee Trafficway is to some extent being transformed into one of the more urbane streets in KC outside of downtown itself. That said, the design could be better - I really do not like the Founders just to the south and they present a really ugly face driving south on McGee Trafficway. I hope they do a better job of interacting with the street at the Gallerie.
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

Any idea what the condos will go for and when they will go on the market?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The view from the MAX headed south on Grand:

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

July 13, 2018.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

July 19, 2018.

Looking west at the intersection of Gillham and E. 27th.

Looking north from McGee Trafficway around E. 28th Street.