California tech firm will move HQ, create 300 jobs in downtown KC

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Maybe this deserves its own thread...

Tech company from LA area (automotive data mining and analysis) moving HQ to downtown KC, 300 high paying jobs. Downtown location not determined yet...

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... -jobs.html

Gotta wonder how much free streetcar was a factor, outside of course KC's low cost of living..
After a comprehensive evaluation of major markets, AutoAlert said in the release, it selected Kansas City due to its revitalized and growing downtown area, access to tech talent and convenient transportation options.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: California tech firm will move HQ, create 300 jobs in downtown KC

Post by KCDowntown »

FYI - Just from watching the Kiva permits the last month - I've seen Tenant Finish permits for this company in the old Kansas City Southern headquarters building (streetview here)

KCDowntown
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

KCDowntown wrote:FYI - Just from watching the Kiva permits the last month - I've seen Tenant Finish permits for this company in the old Kansas City Southern headquarters building (streetview here)
KCDowntown
If true, they would have great access to the new YMCA across the street.
Does anyone know of a plan to develop the northwest corner of 11th & Wyandotte?
Another parking garage?
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

They acquired Raytown based MotoFuze last year and that accounts for 30% of there current employment base, so that might be part of the why they were willing to move to the area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Have heard that Swiss Re will also be moving their 100+ jobs to a new location downtown in the next year.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^That's a good scoop if true. Are they still over near Metcalf/Johnson Drive area?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

earthling wrote:^That's a good scoop if true. Are they still over near Metcalf/Johnson Drive area?
Yes. Was told they have already announced it to their employees. Younger employees are ecstatic, older ones not so much. DT is going to kick some JC butt in a few years when millenials are in more power positions.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Biz Journal article updated with rumors of focus on City Center Sq.
One source said he heard reports that a large employer was zeroing in on a deal at City Center Square, 1100 Main St. If it's AutoAlert, the company will be following in the footsteps of another California venture, Sungevity, which announced a move to the building in 2014.
If it's not AutoAlert, then nice to hear another company close to a deal. In fact it would be better if that's not AutoAlert, meaning potentially even more jobs downtown in the works. 2017 may finally be the year of decent downtown laborforce growth and it's pretty safe to say that a free to use highly functional streetcar tying downtown together will have much to do with it. Is plausible downtown sees speculative office building projects popup once Class A vacancy gets below 12% - was around 15% end of last year.

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

earthling wrote:Biz Journal article updated with rumors of focus on City Center Sq.
One source said he heard reports that a large employer was zeroing in on a deal at City Center Square, 1100 Main St. If it's AutoAlert, the company will be following in the footsteps of another California venture, Sungevity, which announced a move to the building in 2014.
If it's not AutoAlert, then nice to hear another company close to a deal. In fact it would be better if that's not AutoAlert, meaning potentially even more jobs downtown in the works. 2017 may finally be the year of decent downtown laborforce growth and it's pretty safe to say that a free to use highly functional streetcar tying downtown together will have much to do with it. Is plausible downtown sees speculative office building projects popup once Class A vacancy gets below 12% - was around 15% end of last year.

Now bizjournal confirms that AutoAlert is going into the old KC Southern Building on 11th street. Soo, that means another large employer is zeroing in on City Center Square...
beautyfromashes wrote:Have heard that Swiss Re will also be moving their 100+ jobs to a new location downtown in the next year.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, KCS Railway building it is...
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... lding.html

And yeah, is doubly good news that it means another 'large' employer looking at CC Square.

The Rag delivers on its solid scoops.

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

NorthOak wrote:
KCDowntown wrote:FYI - Just from watching the Kiva permits the last month - I've seen Tenant Finish permits for this company in the old Kansas City Southern headquarters building (streetview here)
KCDowntown
If true, they would have great access to the new YMCA across the street.
Does anyone know of a plan to develop the northwest corner of 11th & Wyandotte?
Another parking garage?
The latest word on the street is that the YMCA plans to have its main entrance facing that parking lot which--if it comes to pass--ensures the continued existence of that parking lot for some time.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote:The latest word on the street is that the YMCA plans to have its main entrance facing that parking lot which--if it comes to pass--ensures the continued existence of that parking lot for some time.
that's sooooo DST...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I thought they were building an annex building on that parking lot attached to the Lyric?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote:I thought they were building an annex building on that parking lot attached to the Lyric?
My understanding is it is just a renovation of the Lyric--haven't seen anything about a new building next to it. But I'm by no means the authority on the Y project.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

From Orange County, CA paper on AutoAlert...
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/auto ... ounty.html
Lucy Dunn, president and chief executive of the Orange County Business Council, said she was “not surprised” by the decision.

“Companies are struggling here because housing is so difficult to find for their workforce. California has a difficult regulatory climate as well,” Dunn said. “One of the most important things Orange County must focus on is growing high-paying jobs. We’re losing our young families because it is too expensive to live here, and our county is aging.”
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

Interesting comment from the President of the Orange County Business Council. I think the only reason places like Orange County have been able to get by is because so many of their homeowners got a windfall from when their homes appreciated, but they're now figuring out their market is at a major disadvantage particularly for young people because the cost of housing is crazy and they didn't own homes before values shot up. If KC could do more to get the attention of some of those firms, there's a great opportunity for KC to capitalize and increase our growth rate. When you factor in the cost of living here and how much of a non-issue traffic is, KC is a great market to be based out of. Plus, you can fly almost anywhere in the country within 2.5-3 hours when you need to travel. I also think being in the central time zone is a nice advantage in doing business nationwide.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Plus, you can fly almost anywhere in the country within 2.5-3 hours when you need to travel.
While I agree with nearly everything you wrote re: KC as a business destination, I would argue that the availability of flights out of MCI (or rather lack thereof) is actually a negative for KC. Relative to larger peers like Dallas, Denver, Minneapolis (which all have reasonable cost-of-living also), airline access to the rest of the country and world is much more difficult.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

We have a very different definition of reasonable costs of living.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

I had to move to Dallas from KC several years ago. I can assure you the cost of living in Dallas is much higher. Dallas has reached that tipping point in population where rents have gone sky high. New buildings in Uptown want $1500 for 500 sq ft. Depending on the area, it's 30 to 40% higher than KC. I miss the ease of life in KC - no traffic, free and plentiful parking, good service. Housing is also higher and factor in a property tax rate of 3 to 4%. This makes up for no state income tax in state revenue.

Flying out of DFW is a complete hassle. KCI has adequate flights for any business.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

We have a very different definition of reasonable costs of living.
Fair point. As compared to Orange County (referenced above) or other coastal markets I would argue the central metros I mentioned are indeed "reasonable". All three certainly have higher housing costs than KC, especially/primarily when talking urban core.

However, for a company looking to move from CA due to cost of living issues, KC is certainly not alone in offering more reasonable cost of living.