KC's IRS center survives closings

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

KC's IRS center survives closings

Post by earthling »

Three are closing around country including a big one in Austin closing by 2024. KC survived. IRS employment has been reducing partly because of electronic filings.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... =mainstage
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: KC's IRS center survives closings

Post by FangKC »

Good lord imagine what would have happened had they closed the KC facility? How long would it take to fill that mammoth complex with a new tenant?

Has anyone been inside to see the layout and configuration? Is the layout even designed in a way that it could be easily rented to a new tenant(s) quickly?
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

I was in it once in 2006 when it was new. Don't remember too much. Would be a bit surprised if all three centers actually close since I believe they've announced closing of at least Fresno before.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i'd rather have the buildings they tore down to build this spec monstrosity. at the same time, glad it isn't vacant!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

They closed 3 out of 5 facilities. Will there be any jobs added in KC? Seems like they would almost have to move people in spite of the trend toward electronic filings.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Hey I work at that place!

I can't imagine it would really be possible to cohabitate with another tenant unless the IRS was shuttled either totally into the old post office building or totally into the "spec monstrosity". The spec monstrosity in particular is on one hand very adaptable and one hand very specific to the needs of the IRS. It is a completely open floor on the bottom floor and an upper floor that is pretty much a cube farm. Here is an image that shows half of one third of the building and the upper/lower configuration. This particular shot is where most of the data entry for return processing happens on the lower floor.

One thing to note though is that even if the processing part of what the IRS does in Kansas City was eliminated there is still a pretty large number of folks (including myself) who work other jobs not directly related to processing paper returns.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It looks like the new wing in the photo would be easily adaptable into a retail space for a store like Target. One might have trouble using all three wings for retail though.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Highlander wrote:They closed 3 out of 5 facilities. Will there be any jobs added in KC? Seems like they would almost have to move people in spite of the trend toward electronic filings.
If there are functions at other sites that KC site doesn't perform today, is plausible those functions/jobs move to the KC site.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote:i'd rather have the buildings they tore down to build this spec monstrosity. at the same time, glad it isn't vacant!
Do the Feds own that building? If IRS continues to shrink and use less space, is possible other Fed divisions move some operations to KC.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think DST Real Estate built the new structure for the IRS to lease, but I don't know if DST still owns it since they have been selling off their real estate.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

earthling wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:i'd rather have the buildings they tore down to build this spec monstrosity. at the same time, glad it isn't vacant!
Do the Feds own that building? If IRS continues to shrink and use less space, is possible other Fed divisions move some operations to KC.
The Federal Reserve building (though not technically govt) is busting at the seams. Already have moved a ton of employee amenities into the basement, every floor will eventually be reconfigured to fit more cubes.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

shaffe wrote:Here is an image that shows half of one third of the building and the upper/lower configuration. This particular shot is where most of the data entry for return processing happens on the lower floor.

I had a nightmare about hell last night. It looked just like this picture. I guess if the IRS left, they could turn it into a haunted house.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Isn't most of the building empty except for the tax season?
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Isn't most of the building empty except for the tax season?
Most of the bottom floor is, yes. The second floor and the post office building is pretty filled year round.