OFFICIAL - Hampton Inn (16th & Main)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Another 16th & Main hotel

Post by KCPowercat »

No Main Street driveway please!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:No Main Street driveway.
call/email the planner and 4th district council reps...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Will do...wasn't limiting driveways onto Main part of the zoning standard or something when the streetcar was built...is there some standard to point to when sending the email?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
Will do...wasn't limiting driveways onto Main part of the zoning standard or something when the streetcar was built...is there some standard to point to when sending the email?
believe it or not, no. you'd need the TOD policy in effect at that streetcar stop.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I know everyone will be excited about new development on Main, but I'm starting to wonder if some of these hotels aren't good for the Crossroads environment. They don't really fit into the history look (painted plaster to look like brick, carcentric, modern color, etc). Plus, we seem to be getting mid grade hotels instead of more high end chains. Does having more of these hurt is in attracting higher end?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah can't say Hampton inn excites me too much....Would much rather an aloft or something as I think that would fit the neighborhood more....The hotel indigo and one by Lulu's (forgot the name) seem to fit the neighborhood.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:Yeah can't say Hampton inn excites me too much....Would much rather an aloft or something as I think that would fit the neighborhood more....The hotel indigo and one by Lulu's (forgot the name) seem to fit the neighborhood.
It's next door to an auto repair place...
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

flyingember wrote: It's next door to an auto repair place...
I wonder if in a few years the developers of the auto repair lot will say, "But, its next door to a Hampton Inn."?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

An auto repair place for sale....Not sure your point.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

beautyfromashes wrote:I know everyone will be excited about new development on Main, but I'm starting to wonder if some of these hotels aren't good for the Crossroads environment. They don't really fit into the history look (painted plaster to look like brick, carcentric, modern color, etc). Plus, we seem to be getting mid grade hotels instead of more high end chains. Does having more of these hurt is in attracting higher end?
Don't know about the effect in the future but I believe all of these smaller hotels did have an effect on the size of the proposed convention hotel. First they were shooting for 1,000 rooms now the proposal is for 800 rooms.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

beautyfromashes wrote:
flyingember wrote: It's next door to an auto repair place...
I wonder if in a few years the developers of the auto repair lot will say, "But, its next door to a Hampton Inn."?
I don't get it
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

In a few years, this area will be full of converted condos, high end restaurants, luxury business towers, etc. This is already starting to happen. By the time the auto repair spot is developed I could see a Hampton Inn being one of the less favorable buildings in the area. To me, it just doesn't fit. The Residence Inn across the street doesn't fit either, but they built it before the area has started to boom. I just hope the city doesn't fill the best locations along the streetcar with lower quality developments just because we remember when anything filling a spot was a good thing.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I suppose Hampton Inn did their research and found the market to be a good fit for them. If the market changes, the building can be reflagged.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:I know everyone will be excited about new development on Main, but I'm starting to wonder if some of these hotels aren't good for the Crossroads environment. They don't really fit into the history look (painted plaster to look like brick, carcentric, modern color, etc). Plus, we seem to be getting mid grade hotels instead of more high end chains. Does having more of these hurt is in attracting higher end?
Don't know about the effect in the future but I believe all of these smaller hotels did have an effect on the size of the proposed convention hotel. First they were shooting for 1,000 rooms now the proposal is for 800 rooms.
The financial issues that made the hotel smaller are probably closer linked to the time it's taken since that idea was first conceived many moons ago(Costs have increased a lot) as well as no city guarantee.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Right...the convention hotel didn't go to 800 rooms because of a smattering of hotels popping up around downtown.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote:Right...the convention hotel didn't go to 800 rooms because of a smattering of hotels popping up around downtown.
Well it seemed like they decided on 800 rooms well before many of these hotels where announced.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

Hampton Inn & Suites Renderings

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ldai_phs wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Right...the convention hotel didn't go to 800 rooms because of a smattering of hotels popping up around downtown.
Well it seemed like they decided on 800 rooms well before many of these hotels where announced.
We agree with each other
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

From what I can tell the announcement that it was to be a hotel with only 800 rooms was in May 2015. Before that the talk was 1,000 rooms. So I would imagine there were many new hotel announcements before May 2015, especially with those completed and now in construction.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

Is there any time frame for when construction will begin?