OFFICIAL - 531 Grand

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

OFFICIAL - 531 Grand

Post by mgh7676 »

This updated rendering of 531 Grand was posted on twitter a couple days ago. Not bad!

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by FangKC »

I like it. This will make a nice gateway building when entering the River Market on Grand. Now if we could just get that drive-up bank facility to go away, and a decent sized building constructed on that lot as well.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

pash wrote:Per the developer's letter of intent [PDF], there will be 10,000 square feet of retail space. There are also 140 garage spaces for 140 units. Good to see the parking ratios finally seem to trend downward. ...
I wouldn't care if this building had 600 spots, as long as it was hidden within the walls or underground. It is great to see these lots (especially gravel lots) get filled in with these types of buildings.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If TIF or public funding helps fund any project that involves a garage, I would expect more spots than number of units with requirement to offer some free or cheap public parking. Or put another way, I have no issues with TIF that also has a public benefit, such as (and usually) free/cheap garage parking.

BTW, who owns the lot on W end of City Market, next to Minsky's. That is prime for development but also needs garage with at least same number of public parking in addition to cover whatever would go above it - preferably well hidden behind retail like most Plaza parking. I envision a fairly substantial mid-rise residential there (10-15 floors), maybe even boutique hotel/residential given on streetcar line. TIF would be appropriate to help with garage as long as same # of free/cheap public parking available. Downtown still needs to offset lost parking from infill projects in most cases as of course one streetcar line isn't going to suddenly reduce cars enough to cut parking.
Last edited by earthling on Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: 531 Grand

Post by DaveKCMO »

split this into a new thread.

groundbreaking is 10am april 6.
$24.3 million, 140-unit residential project of Block Real Estate Services, LLC and Cornerstone Associates, LLC.

The 531 Grand development will feature 10,000 square feet of street-level retail, and an outdoor swimming pool on part of the parking structure's roof. The development will feature five floors of studio through two-bedroom units on top of a two-story, 140-space parking pedestal.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Have been wondering when this one would kick off, will be a nice contiguous stretch with Centropolis also now a block down. Crossroads could use a few dozen more of these to fill in surface lots (and like Centropolis), with streetfront retail where appropriate.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Looking at the retail, 10k is easily large enough for a CVS or Walgreens. It's half the size of the smallest sized Target
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Am not a locatarian purist but would like to see River Market/Columbus Park stay chain free on every layer. The CVS on Main not far away and on streetcar line. The Loop could use a Walgreens as well.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Like to imagine a Natural Grocers, or a Sprouts market.
Likely not large enough for either of those, and perhaps too expensive.
Too bad. Cosentino's would benefit from friendly competition.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Did this project require incentives? If Soo, how much?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

earthling wrote:BTW, who owns the lot on W end of City Market, next to Minsky's. That is prime for development but also needs garage with at least same number of public parking in addition to cover whatever would go above it - preferably well hidden behind retail like most Plaza parking. I envision a fairly substantial mid-rise residential there (10-15 floors), maybe even boutique hotel/residential given on streetcar line. TIF would be appropriate to help with garage as long as same # of free/cheap public parking available. Downtown still needs to offset lost parking from infill projects in most cases as of course one streetcar line isn't going to suddenly reduce cars enough to cut parking.
The City owns that lot, and the one to the south across the street. They have already put out bids on redeveloping those surface lots, but I think they are still evaluating them. I don't recall anyone being picked.

I would imagine that any lots around the City Market that get developed will have to include some extra public parking in a garage. There are a lot of people that visit the City Market from surrounding areas that arrive by car. In addition, it's an opportunity to provide shared parking for property owners nearby, and thus encourage them to develop their small surface lots with infill buildings.

http://tinyurl.com/z92nlgk

http://tinyurl.com/jj2rke8

http://tinyurl.com/z95c64n
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

mgh7676 wrote:This updated rendering of 531 Grand was posted on twitter a couple days ago. Not bad!

I like this building. It has balconies, a variety of window sizes, and different textures/colors on the facade that break up the building into parts--thus making it more visually-interesting. I also like the massing for that site. I wish we had a view of the other side though to see how it looks next to the old Muehlebach building.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

At 7 floors, this would have to be steel or reinforced concrete construction - right? Sometimes I worry about the longevity of some of the new timber construction we're getting downtown.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Eon Blue wrote:At 7 floors, this would have to be steel or reinforced concrete construction - right? Sometimes I worry about the longevity of some of the new timber construction we're getting downtown.
it doesn't have to be

http://www.rethinkwood.com/sites/defaul ... v-2014.pdf
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It depends. There are a lot of projects around the world that are using mass timber to construct fairly tall buildings. It's still a fairly new practice, and probably won't be used in this project. However, it is more sustainable, and the fear of using mass timber in construction of larger buildings has been shown to be unwarranted.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is dependency on more sophisticated fire sprinkler systems the reason there is more acceptance for taller timber buildings? Obviously they are cheaper to build and methinks the results can be cheap if not with adequate soundproofing, etc.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

1914 Main did that style.

P&L north building is very close to this also.