Traders on Grand

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 15213
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Traders on Grand

Postby DaveKCMO » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:26 am

i figured this building needs its own thread, since a redevelopment plan seems imminent.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 96585.html

Swords said Sunflower has the 1963-era building under contract and hopes to begin a $55 million redevelopment plan next year. The plan calls for 196 market-rate apartments above two stories of office/retail.

Sword said the building hasn’t been renovated since the 1980s and needs to have windows and mechanical systems replaced. He said all except one of the few remaining office tenants are on month-to-month leases.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 15213
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby DaveKCMO » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:41 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... grand.html

The $69 million redevelopment project also calls for retail on the first floor, office on the second floor and a rooftop pool and amenity deck.

Mark Moberly, director of development for Sunflower Development Group, said other amenities, all in the basement, will include bicycle storage, a fitness center, a golf driving range simulator, social lounge and two movie rooms, including one in the old Traders Bank vault.

"In addition, we are discussing the concept of a 'smart apartment,' using the latest technology, such as Nest thermostats, smart LED light bulbs and Bluetooth Low Energy door locks," Moberly said.


Helix Architecture + Design is working on plans, Moberly said, and the developers are expected to select a general contractor within the next 30 days. Assuming that planning and incentive hurdles are cleared, construction could begin in July, allowing a January 2018 opening.

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3657
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby earthling » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Is it asking for any incentives? A better use for that building. DT office space continues to shrink as residential increases... not that suburban companies interested in moving downtown anyway. :(

Nice to get more residential/hotels along Grand and to east.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 15213
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby DaveKCMO » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:51 pm

they will probably ask for an abatement. good news is that they're meeting with jurisdictions already. sunflower is good at that.

snapped this view from the 11th floor looking south just now:

Image

my friend that works there said they have been in doing environmental work, probably to test for asbestos?

flyingember
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5578
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby flyingember » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:56 pm

DaveKCMO wrote:
my friend that works there said they have been in doing environmental work, probably to test for asbestos?


the building was built before the lead paint ban so that's probably in the mix

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14034
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby GRID » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:47 pm

Does locking that property up as parking for the traders building affect the potential development of the site into an office tower? Isn't that surface lot where the office tower is proposed? Although I suppose the new office tower would have a parking garage that the traders building could share.

With all these buildings going residential, I can't believe there would not be some demand for new construction office space downtown. Office towers are now going up again in most other cities (downtowns), so hopefully KC will see some action as well.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 15213
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby DaveKCMO » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:11 pm

GRID wrote:Does locking that property up as parking for the traders building affect the potential development of the site into an office tower? Isn't that surface lot where the office tower is proposed? Although I suppose the new office tower would have a parking garage that the traders building could share.

With all these buildings going residential, I can't believe there would not be some demand for new construction office space downtown. Office towers are now going up again in most other cities (downtowns), so hopefully KC will see some action as well.


copaken already allows tenants to park there. whatever is built would probably have structure parking anyway.

joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:55 pm
Location: Overland Park

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby joshmv » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:27 am

I'm not sure if these pictures would be of use to anybody, but I found myself in the Ambassador yesterday and figured I'd take a few pictures of the north side of the ToG building from 5 stories up. If you look closely at the interior you can see the ceilings are already ripped out in some places. Maybe that's for the environmental work going on?

Image

Image

User avatar
Eon Blue
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 895
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:28 pm
Location: Downtown KCMO

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby Eon Blue » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:15 am

It's always a bummer to see the scar on the side of an extant building from where its lost neighbor abutted it.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 15213
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby DaveKCMO » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:15 am

Eon Blue wrote:It's always a bummer to see the scar on the side of an extant building from where its lost neighbor abutted it.


and to see that it was replaced with a drive thru...

kboish
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1974
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby kboish » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:17 am

This was a cool tidbit from the bizjournal article.

Stephen Block, a BRES principal who leads the firm’s involvement in the project along with investment market broker Aaron Mesmer, said other amenities will include an outdoor off-leash dog park for tenants and a first-in-the-market service for apartment dwellers.

“We’ll have an electric car share program, where we’ll own or lease a fleet of electric cars our tenants can use,” Block said. “We believe it will allow folks who have been on the cusp of giving up their cars to go ahead and do so.”

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 15213
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby DaveKCMO » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:37 am

a little birdie tells me they'll have between 10 and 15 electric cars.

User avatar
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2676
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:27 pm
Location: Roanoke, KCMO

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby Midtownkid » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:19 pm

That brick wall looks terrible. I hate the building all together, but the wall is the worst part. You can see the line of each floor by the spalling of the brick. Any word on facade changes??

User avatar
smh
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2634
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby smh » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:36 pm

kboish wrote:This was a cool tidbit from the bizjournal article.

Stephen Block, a BRES principal who leads the firm’s involvement in the project along with investment market broker Aaron Mesmer, said other amenities will include an outdoor off-leash dog park for tenants and a first-in-the-market service for apartment dwellers.

“We’ll have an electric car share program, where we’ll own or lease a fleet of electric cars our tenants can use,” Block said. “We believe it will allow folks who have been on the cusp of giving up their cars to go ahead and do so.”


I don't mean to be the debbie downer, but what is the use of a car share fleet if everyone who resides in the building has to drive to JoCo or Cerner to work? Increasingly I'm becoming concerned that jobs are not following rooftops to the city. I hope I'm wrong and what we're experience is just the lag time in between.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 15213
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby DaveKCMO » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:45 pm

it might help a household of two who already work downtown get rid of one (or both) cars. ;-)

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3567
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby beautyfromashes » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:48 pm

Honestly, I think it will take a whole generation to change downtown back into the major location for business in the city. It's much easier to get people to come DT for a restaurant or show, or even get 10-20,000 people to move to the city. But, to get a mature business to move to the city, it takes close to a majority of employees accepting the move and the older leaders wanting to move that direction as well. On the bright side, it's inevitable that it will happen and, if you stay here long term, you'll have a front row seat for the continued rebuilding of a city. Not many people ever get that in their lifetimes.

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3657
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby earthling » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:49 pm

If there aren't enough parking spots for all units, then they'll simply have to market this particular building to those who do work within downtown or workplace directly on a bus route - or retired people. Permanent 'work from home' also significantly picking up with many companies (I do and bus to work if I needing to go in - only a few times a year).

ULCajun
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby ULCajun » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:23 pm

smh wrote:
kboish wrote:This was a cool tidbit from the bizjournal article.

Stephen Block, a BRES principal who leads the firm’s involvement in the project along with investment market broker Aaron Mesmer, said other amenities will include an outdoor off-leash dog park for tenants and a first-in-the-market service for apartment dwellers.

“We’ll have an electric car share program, where we’ll own or lease a fleet of electric cars our tenants can use,” Block said. “We believe it will allow folks who have been on the cusp of giving up their cars to go ahead and do so.”


I don't mean to be the debbie downer, but what is the use of a car share fleet if everyone who resides in the building has to drive to JoCo or Cerner to work? Increasingly I'm becoming concerned that jobs are not following rooftops to the city. I hope I'm wrong and what we're experience is just the lag time in between.


Both me and my partner live and work downtown. In the past year we have gotten rid of one of our cars. We are discussing getting rid of the other car. This would make it that much easier to get rid of the car because the biggest thing is going 10+ miles for an event or our bi-monthly costco trips.

User avatar
smh
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2634
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby smh » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:18 pm

ULCajun wrote:Both me and my partner live and work downtown. In the past year we have gotten rid of one of our cars. We are discussing getting rid of the other car. This would make it that much easier to get rid of the car because the biggest thing is going 10+ miles for an event or our bi-monthly costco trips.


That is true. if you move into the building. Which, perhaps you will. I agree it will help some people--I would in fact be in the same boat as you if I lived in the building. I already mostly walk everywhere and could easily live carless if ZipCar were downtown. I'm just concerned about all our office buildings becoming apartments. Again, hopefully we're just in the lag period between influx of residents and influx of offices. Hollis & Miller is a good bright spot, for example.

kboish
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1974
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Traders on Grand

Postby kboish » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:32 pm

smh wrote:
ULCajun wrote:Both me and my partner live and work downtown. In the past year we have gotten rid of one of our cars. We are discussing getting rid of the other car. This would make it that much easier to get rid of the car because the biggest thing is going 10+ miles for an event or our bi-monthly costco trips.


That is true. if you move into the building. Which, perhaps you will. I agree it will help some people--I would in fact be in the same boat as you if I lived in the building. I already mostly walk everywhere and could easily live carless if ZipCar were downtown. I'm just concerned about all our office buildings becoming apartments. Again, hopefully we're just in the lag period between influx of residents and influx of offices. Hollis & Miller is a good bright spot, for example.


I think we are seeing the shift finally. The KCATA's 3rd and Grand lot is a prime example. Initial talks were for multi-family, but it ultimately changed over to office. BTW, my prediction for that lot is BNIM. Potential for signature multi-modal, green development (likely with incentives), too easy. They will need an interim site though. Maybe old populous spot in RM?

Another example is Corrigan station- initially planned for rez, but shifted over to office.


Return to “Downtown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests