Church of the Resurrection Downtown Campus

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Church of the Resurrection Downtown Campus

Post by swid »

WWJD(evelop)?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

There are many things a church can do that are positive.
1. Attract members to move nearby. True, many may not be the young, single types. Instead it would be older, probably empty nest and/or retired couples. They too eat out, go to events, shop and probably have more money to spend than the younger, single twenty somethings.
2. Many church-goers do go out to eat after services, and if it is a late morning service maybe beforehand. Good for the restaurants.
3. It's likely that older couples will not move as often as younger singles and that would contribute to some stability to the area.
4. Many churches are not dead zones 6 days a week. And it's activity would be during the day and evening. A baseball stadium would likely be a dead zone 6 months out of the year. And in the other 6 months only half of the time. Yes, when a stadium is busy it is busy but when it is dead it is dead.
5. Depending on how the facilities are constructed and equipped there can be spaces for the surrounding community. It can be used for meetings, parties, and other gatherings.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

This kcrag freak-out is one of the cutest ones ever.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Never have I ever seen so many NIMBY's taking issue with a development downtown..

It's a church, yes. They're building a new building, yes. That's a win no matter how you try to spin it, yes.

Sure there's a few old crusty churches in the area that need to be rehabbed and occupied again, but what makes you think that it's this organizations job to do that? Questioning why a modern church may not want to rehab an old, purpose-built building instead of building new shows just how out of touch you folks are with what a modern, action filled, broadly appealing church needs. This isn't the Catholic church we're talking about. Someone mentioned pews..this place probably doesn't even have a single pew in the entire building! Wake up! This group needs 21st century lighting, staging, seating, USB ports, network closets, high voltage power, and other amenities. So instead of questioning why a modern church isn't willing to take over an old crusty church to rehab (An awfully simple minded idea), why don't you question why NOBODY else is rehabbing and redeveloping those old churches. Can they not be turned into office space, warehouses, condos, or something else? Is there some stigma around old church buildings that makes nobody want them? If that's true then how can you claim not to care about religion or have no belief in a "God" while recognizing a stigma and choosing not to rehab old church buildings into something else? Hypocrite much? :shock: Obviously denial is more than a river in Egypt, and clearly we have a huge problem with masked insecurities here in the US.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

There's a few places that are. This is a former church at 9th/Harrison, roughly a block away from the other existing alternate choice church example earlier in the thread at 9th/Forest.

http://www.theartsasylum.org/
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

im2kull wrote:Never have I ever seen so many NIMBY's taking issue with a development downtown..
How quickly we forget the Jimmy John's drive thru on Broadway shit storm last year.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote:
im2kull wrote:Never have I ever seen so many NIMBY's taking issue with a development downtown..
How quickly we forget the Jimmy John's drive thru on Broadway shit storm last year.
Save the Plaza had large groups out picketing. Nothing downtown has come close.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

how quickly we forget the downtowners who showed up to testify at city hall.
glacier890
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by glacier890 »

I attend rez downtown. I do kind of wish they would've kept using their first building (the Grand Avenue Temple on 9th and Grand), but since they didn't control the building, I think they were having issues with modernizing it(I don't know the full story on that so i could be wrong). Obviously I am biased, but I think they are a positive addition to downtown. I think they do a good job every other Saturday doing various service projects in either downtown or the Wendell Phillips neighborhood and other places between downtown and Prospect. It also seems that the pastor encourages groups to meetup with others and dine at downtown restaurants after service. Obviously many organizations/faith groups do things like this, just pointing it out to say that I think their motivations for being downtown are fairly genuine. Looking at the pics of the future building, I do worry about how much surface parking there is. Hopefully as the street car gets going they will educate the long time members to park further away and either take the street car or just walk. I think Kansas City as a whole throughout the next decade as downtown gets more dense is going to be more tolerant of not having to park right next to their destination so it will be an easier sell.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

The perking by the door mentality is epidemic.

Anecdotally, I was at an event at "The Vow Exchange", which is in the alley between McGee and Oak south of 17th, a couple of weeks ago on a Monday night. There were maybe 30 people there. 75% of the people were complaining that there was no place to park. One lady drove up the ally, right up to the door, rolled down here window and almost in tears said "I just don't understand where I am supposed to park". I parked on Oak and I was the only car! Maybe walked 30 feet to the door. Not to mention how many people were talking about how it was a shame such a nice venue was in such a bad part of town. Nobody was interested in my reasonable take on the situation.

If anything, a church like this will draw more people into downtown from the burbs, and hopefully they will have their perceptions changed.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

shinatoo wrote:The perking by the door mentality is epidemic.

Anecdotally, I was at an event at "The Vow Exchange", which is in the alley between McGee and Oak south of 17th, a couple of weeks ago on a Monday night. There were maybe 30 people there. 75% of the people were complaining that there was no place to park. One lady drove up the ally, right up to the door, rolled down here window and almost in tears said "I just don't understand where I am supposed to park". I parked on Oak and I was the only car! Maybe walked 30 feet to the door. Not to mention how many people were talking about how it was a shame such a nice venue was in such a bad part of town. Nobody was interested in my reasonable take on the situation.

If anything, a church like this will draw more people into downtown from the burbs, and hopefully they will have their perceptions changed.
Ugh
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the renderings i posted are just the first phase. they'll build more later after they acquire the rest of the property (the plans they submitted to city planning reflect this). also of note: they plan to capture stormwater runoff on site (still very much a rarity in KC). i also suggested asking for a parking variance, since they're just outside of the "downtown rail zone" and are thus required to provide x spaces per y square feet.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

This is just another example of how parking controls and enforcement plays a big part in how people use an area. We know perception matters as much as reality.

The policy of allowing someone to park at 6pm on Friday and not move their car off the street until 7am Monday takes away a lot of spots at key areas downtown.

There should be a really simple method for a place that wants to be open on the weekend to get new signs put up controlling on street parking nearby 24x7. Maybe have a small fee for the signs and a premium that helps pay to cover greater boot/tow hours.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

glacier890 wrote:I attend rez downtown. I do kind of wish they would've kept using their first building (the Grand Avenue Temple on 9th and Grand), but since they didn't control the building, I think they were having issues with modernizing it(I don't know the full story on that so i could be wrong). Obviously I am biased, but I think they are a positive addition to downtown. I think they do a good job every other Saturday doing various service projects in either downtown or the Wendell Phillips neighborhood and other places between downtown and Prospect. It also seems that the pastor encourages groups to meetup with others and dine at downtown restaurants after service. Obviously many organizations/faith groups do things like this, just pointing it out to say that I think their motivations for being downtown are fairly genuine. Looking at the pics of the future building, I do worry about how much surface parking there is. Hopefully as the street car gets going they will educate the long time members to park further away and either take the street car or just walk. I think Kansas City as a whole throughout the next decade as downtown gets more dense is going to be more tolerant of not having to park right next to their destination so it will be an easier sell.
Thanks for the inside take on the situation! It will be interesting to see how things evolve as the current congregants age and more people move downtown. I'd be interested to know what percentage of the church lives in the River through Crown and/or River through Plaza area.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I recall hearing about a similar church in the Westport area (maybe Redeemer?) that, based on my very limited understanding, sounded like they had better luck with people actually moving to the area. I know of at least one couple who had 2 or 3 kids and an heirloom family house in the Shawnee Mission East territory that decided to move to Hyde Park. It sounded like there were other families moving nearby as well. My friends from out of town mentioned that Oddly Correct somehow tied into this scene, but I'm not sure of the connection. If that were to happen downtown, I'd be all for it, but I haven't really seen it yet.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

The guy that owns Oddly Correct is a member at Redeemer.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

CPC approved: http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... roads.html

they were already doing core samples in the lot today.
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

I'm a Redeemer member. The culture there is definitely extremely pro-urban core. A huge percentage of the church membership lives in neighborhoods like Squier Park, Hyde Park, Colemand Highlands, etc. As a Waldo resident, I often feel like I'm not close enough to the core to be considered a true Kansas Citian.

Redeemer did start a sister church in OP last year, which has attracted most of the members/attendees who used to drive in every Sunday, so I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of midtown members are actually KCMO residents.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

On the agenda for today's PZED Meeting:
Rezoning an area of approximately 1.2 acres generally located south of E. 16th Street between Grand Boulevard and McGee Street from Districts B4-5 and UR to District DX-10 (Downtown Mixed Use, Dash 10), and approving a development plan for a church, parking and grounds, which plan also serves as a preliminary plat. (14619-P and 14619-P-1)
http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Meeti ... genda.aspx