Church of the Resurrection Downtown Campus

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Church of the Resurrection Downtown Campus

Post by DaveKCMO »

Open house!

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

July 13, 2018.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Wow. That is not a flattering picture. Is there a flattering angle to this thing at all? I mean, I'm still happy they're here and built on a parking lot but...
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Is that the new Social Security office/dialysis clinic that they resurrected the original 1983 plans for?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

shinatoo wrote:Is that the new Social Security office/dialysis clinic that they resurrected the original 1983 plans for?
In their defense it's very nice on the inside...
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I’m actually glad it’s spartan. So many churches seem to be about “look how rich we are!”
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

And yet this lovely old church sits boarded-up in view of downtown.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

shinatoo wrote:Is that the new Social Security office/dialysis clinic that they resurrected the original 1983 plans for?
I predict it will be a bank branch in 20 years.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

flyingember wrote:I’m actually glad it’s spartan. So many churches seem to be about “look how rich we are!”
I guess my point was if you're going to make it look like an office building, make it a nice modern office building.

And if you are right on the nose with your comment. Just look at their main campus.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote:
flyingember wrote:I’m actually glad it’s spartan. So many churches seem to be about “look how rich we are!”
I guess my point was if you're going to make it look like an office building, make it a nice modern office building.

And if you are right on the nose with your comment. Just look at their main campus.
Yeah, their Leawood location fits that bill and it's still not quite as bad as some. One elevation is just a simple concrete wall.
Compare that to the Catholic Church downtown which has actual gold leaf on it.

I imagine they were trying to make it fit in with all the brick buildings in the crossroads. Something tells me it will fit in better in ten years as the brick gets it's patina
mykn

Post by mykn »

flyingember wrote:Something tells me it will fit in better in ten years as the brick gets it's patina
And the church moves out, a brewery comes in, knocks out a few exterior walls, adds some trendy siding and outdoor seating.... or so I hope.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I'll take back some of my criticism and say I'm happy to have more diversity in types of businesses and lifestyle opportunities downtown. I'm glad the glass-enclosed cross is not there, but my earlier description of 1990s Ultra-Suburbo Police HQ isn't far off. It could be way worse, but our downtown development continues to be architecturally uninteresting outside of the KCPA (as far as new builds go). We seem to either follow 10-year-old trends or throw up something without even thinking of the aesthetic. I like that they tried to do something with red brick, but the brick box is pretty much the least interesting thing you can do with it. It is still better than the Courtyard/Residence Inn and the Home2 Suites.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Most large metropolitan newspapers have an architectural critic on staff. I don't think the Star has had one for at least a decade.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

The thing that troubles me about the existence of this church - not the building - is that Grand Avenue Temple, also UMC, is less than a mile away and, if I'm not mistaken, has been struggling financially for decades.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I was thinking the same thing just seconds before you posted MissingKC.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

They have that distinctive old building and I think they've had trouble keeping a good roof on it.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I was in the Grand Ave Temple over a decade ago with Historic KC. The interior was literally melting. Water infiltration was dissolving the plaster architecture. Its was in worse shape than any building that has been rescued.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

missingkc wrote:The thing that troubles me about the existence of this church - not the building - is that Grand Avenue Temple, also UMC, is less than a mile away and, if I'm not mistaken, has been struggling financially for decades.
Churches are now a full-on business. There's a limited market of customers, and you have to compete for them.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Grand ave temple with its accompanying office tower is one of my favorite downtown building groupings. Would be tragic to see anything bad happen to them
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DaveKCMO wrote:
In their defense it's very nice on the inside...
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... g/435776/1

Here are photos of the interior of the Grand Avenue Temple from another thread.

viewtopic.php?t=14438

The Grand Avenue Temple is still an active church. It has a beautiful interior and lovely stained glass windows. I can't imagine the new church is as beautiful.

http://www.grandavenuetempleumc.org/

I don't know the politics of the Methodist church. I guess they can operate independent branches that have no interaction with the others. It still seems odd to me though that there would be two branches of the Methodist church within seven blocks of each other. That a new Methodist church would be constructed when another one--up the street--doesn't have the money to repair the roof.