Church of the Resurrection Downtown Campus

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Church of the Resurrection Downtown Campus

Post by TheLastGentleman »

FangKC wrote:The Star Pavilion also might be modified for some type of arcade type retail operation.
Sounds like a shopping mall. You'd be turning an outdated building into another outdated building
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

NorthOak wrote:Stop crying you spoiled turd. Your comment is the epitome of what a troll is and does.
You just can't keep your anti-religious hatred and close-mindedness to yourself.
Anyone with half-a-brain can read these comments taking cheap shots at people of faith and religion and see the hatred and bias.
I'm just calling you close-minded worms out.
Move to an atheist state, we'd all be so much happier.
Is this what being "triggered" is like?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

NorthOak wrote:
shinatoo wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
They own the land and don't pay taxes on it. What's their incentive to sell?
Money. Same as everyone. If it's not bringing in enough money to cover their expenses (insurance, maintenance and so on) then they will sell to put that money toward other programs. Unless they feel it's worth losing money on to subsidize from their other campuses.
You both and others here are complete boob idiots. COR is downtown to meet the spiritual needs of those with faith that happen to live downtown. Something you and the other degenerates here would know nothing at all about as you are totally clueless about life outside of your worthless, prejudiced, metro-homo-tri-bi-draw-the-line-at-sheep-sexual, masturbatory, soy-drinking, self-indulged, meaningless existence.

I'm glad to see them building new, my earlier comment about the building is that they could have done something a bit more extravagant and architecturally better.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NorthOak wrote:
mean wrote:Oh this troll again. :roll:
Stop crying you spoiled turd. Your comment is the epitome of what a troll is and does.
You just can't keep your anti-religious hatred and close-mindedness to yourself.
Anyone with half-a-brain can read these comments taking cheap shots at people of faith and religion and see the hatred and bias.
Move to an atheist state, we'd all be so much happier
You aren't going to get into heaven with that potty mouth, and attitude.

Pope suggests it's better to be an atheist than a bad Christian
"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone. "'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone!"
https://www.cnn.com/2017/02/23/world/po ... index.html
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

NorthOak wrote:
Stop crying you spoiled turd. Your comment is the epitome of what a troll is and does.
Bye, Felicia.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

was that a ban hammer?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

NorthOak wrote:
Honestly I wasn't trying to say anything controversial just stating what I had noticed. Also I know for christians it feels like they are being prosecuted but I've heard that pastors convince young people to join coffee shops to evangelize people. I also used to work at a coffee shop on the plaza that was called the atheist shop since we didn't want to play Christian worship music there. Honestly if it was treated like every other religion I wouldn't have a problem. I get annoyed that if people aren't a part or source very legitimate data, that we are somehow trying to destroy Christianity.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

FangKC wrote:The Star is already selling assets. They sold their long-time headquarters building on Grand, and several of their other properties in the neighborhood.

My point though is that there are probably 3-4 entire block parcels--that are already cleared--on Grand that a big employer lured downtown might build on (10th and Grand, 12th and Grand, 16th and Grand, and 20th and Grand). Main and Grand are the preferred streets for big employers. I don't see BATS, Tradebot, Seaboard, KCP&L , Waddell & Reed, or YRC moving to a new office building at 8th and Charlotte.
'
When is the last time a private company built a large project downtown? H&R Block is pretty much it since Hallmark in the late 70's. I can't even think of any other large projects that an actual company put up. Most if not all of the towers that went up in the 80's were spec, although Town Pavilion had a large tenant signed (At&t). And KC no longer has developers that would build an urban spec tower. Unless an out of town developer discovers KC, those days are over, especially since the local corporate community seems to have little interest in filling downtown towers. AT least in the 80's KC had a lot of companies that wanted to be downtown. Those companies have almost all left for Johnson County and they don't seem to be coming back.

There have been a few smaller projects like the low rise UMB Bank building at 11th and Walnut along with State Street and HNTB in Quality Hill over the span of like 30 years. Office development in downtown KC is so rare that even a development like State Street or UMB would be a HUGE deal for downtown today and both of those are relatively small and could fit in dozens of locations around downtown, even if demo is needed. There are still tons of blocks that are mostly surface parking with a few crappy buildings that could be easily torn down for a large development.

I guess what I'm saying is that land banking for a corporate development really doesn't make a lot of sense. Especially when you have massive chunks of land like all the parking lots in the north loop and east of Grand inside the loop, let alone the crossroads and tons of spots right the core of the CBD that could easily accommodate a million sq ft highrise (12&Grand, 10th & Main) etc.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

mean wrote:
NorthOak wrote:
Bye, Felicia.
Hallelujah.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Nothing is preventing the south half of the block from being redeveloped someday. It’s exactly the same as when the Star had it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

GRID wrote:
FangKC wrote:The Star is already selling assets. They sold their long-time headquarters building on Grand, and several of their other properties in the neighborhood.

My point though is that there are probably 3-4 entire block parcels--that are already cleared--on Grand that a big employer lured downtown might build on (10th and Grand, 12th and Grand, 16th and Grand, and 20th and Grand). Main and Grand are the preferred streets for big employers. I don't see BATS, Tradebot, Seaboard, KCP&L , Waddell & Reed, or YRC moving to a new office building at 8th and Charlotte.
'
When is the last time a private company built a large project downtown?
J.E. Dunn headquarters.

https://goo.gl/images/m2akWk

Kansas City Star Print Pavilion.

Populous Headquarters in the River Market (since moved).

New Federal Reserve Bank (built 2008). I don't know if you will count it, since it's not technically a private company.

2600 Grand (built 2000)
2555 Grand (built 2003)
Last edited by FangKC on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:
GRID wrote: '
When is the last time a private company built a large project downtown?
J.E. Dunn headquarters.
Kansas City Star Print Pavilion.
Populous Headquarters in the River Market (since moved).
Children's Mercy put up a building at 22nd and Holmes after 2015
Truman Medical Center's University Health building, constructed after mid 2014
Boulevard started their expansion in summer 2017
The IRS service center in 2007
The federal reserve is private. they moved in 2008

So that's 8 projects in the past decade
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think he is more interested in private companies.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Imagine how much development we would have if these 5 companies had a downtown presence.

Cerner
Sprint
Garmin
Black & Veatch
Burns & McDonnell

That's 5 of the top 20 largest private-sector employers in the KC area.

The remaining?
Commerce Bank (downtown presence)
BNSF Railway
Olathe Health Systems
United Health Group
Hallmark Cards (downtown presence)
Honeywell
General Motors
Great Plains Energy (KCP&L) (downtown presence)
Prime Healthcare Services
Truman Medical Centers (downtown presence)
DST (downtown presence)
Children's Mercy (downtown presence)
Ford Motor
St Lukes Health System
HCA Midwest Health

The majority of those are Hospitals or Factories.
mykn

Post by mykn »

NorthOak wrote:
You sound very devout
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Don't forget Freightquote, Seaboard, Smithfield/Farmland Foods/National Beef, Bartlett Inc., Lockton, YRC, BATS, Tradebot, Midland Loan, Dairy Farmers of America, Farmers Insurance, InTouch Solutions, Farrellgas, Waddell & Reed, Netsmart Technologies, Empower Retirement, North America Savings Bank, ProPharma Group, DEG, KBP Foods, Henderson Engineers (all of them--not branch), and AMC.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Are we not counting Power and Light, H&R Block and 1 and 2 light as large private projects?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

FangKC wrote:Image

God that's a plain building.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

...and a plain God building.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCLover wrote:
GRID wrote:Fang, looking at that land, the church must have gotten that land cheap. I would think that land value for a ready to build large site would be too high for a small church, but maybe they slipped in and grabbed it while it was cheap. It could be worse, the Star could have land-banked the parking lot and it would just remain that forever.
Forever is a long time and at the Star it's current trajectory doesn't point to them being around forever. Someone better figure out what to do with that glass printing pavilion once the newspaper shutters or tear it down for an office building.

Considering the many various printing needs in the KC metro area outside of the paper I would think those printing presses will be in use for a long time.