Church of the Resurrection Downtown Campus

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Church of the Resurrection Downtown Campus

Post by DaveKCMO »

starting a unique thread for this project.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 97300.html
The church needs additional parking for the more than 1,000 people its downtown campus at 1522 McGee St. attracts each weekend, as well as offices, classrooms and additional worship space nearby.

It also expects to build on the site in the future, maintaining the parking capacity, said Scott M. Chrostek, pastor for the downtown campus, which is part of the United Methodist Church of the Resurrection based in Leawood.
heard two rumors about this today:

1. they're headed for an initial approval (CPC) on dec 15
2. they're in the midst of a capital campaign to pay for it
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Church of the Resurrection Downtown Campus

Post by DaveKCMO »

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

If the giant glass cross display goes up, do we get to take down the giant cowboy display in the P&L? I respect what this organization is attempting from what little I know, but I don't want KC to read as Oklahoma or Arkansas.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Lets just get a giant 50 story cross put up downtown, it will be a like our version of the space needle or something.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I think the building is kinda cool. Glad to see something modern and not a failed attempt to look historic.

Really is the cross a problem? I mean, we have a giant gold dome with a cross on it in our skyline. I don't find it offensive or distracting...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

...and it's, you know, a church.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Holy Crosstown Station, Batman!
Holy Crossroads, Robin!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I would have preferred that parking lot be developed into residential housing with retail space below. It's an entire city block that is already cleared. You could put in an interior garage and still have room to wrap apartments around it.

If they want to have a congregation downtown why not take over an empty, existing church and build a new addition next to it. Like this:

http://tinyurl.com/pdsbtrw

http://tinyurl.com/nh3jkjx

http://tinyurl.com/hyceb59
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The location is on the edge of downtown. The building was designed to function as a church. There is a vacant lot next to the church building for any new addition. There are adjacent vacant lots for parking. Pews and pulpits can be purchased.

The building I reference appears to be boarded up right now. Are you confusing the building that I have linked to Arts Asylum down the street?

http://tinyurl.com/jz7czfc
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

It's a great suggestion Fang. That old Christian Scientist church is a wonderful building.

My guess....? They would be 'afraid' of the location.

Anticipate that they are not will not see the broad change that is coming and how they could play a significant role.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

It's not like there's an overabundance of churches in the Crossroads. There's one next to Tapcade and I think one of the art galleries was church sponsored had a sign up about something happening there. There's a bunch of churches going east once you get past Woodland or so.

Also, would this be the first new church building in the loop/crossroads area in like 60+ years?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

harbinger911 wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:...and it's, you know, a church.
DaveKCMO are you proud of being an anti-Christian bigot?
That's real inclusive and open-minded of you man!

You others, also have exposed yourselves as smarmy bigots.
Here's a church that is investing in the urban core with new construction and helping those less fortunate and you pinheads are having a progressive Hitlarian hissy fit. Maybe you should start your own "house of worship" dedicated to the prostrate gland, freaks.
Sorry the progress in your reading comprehension and overall mental health is going so slow. Keep trying, though! Both are worth it.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

longviewmo wrote:It's not like there's an overabundance of churches in the Crossroads. There's one next to Tapcade and I think one of the art galleries was church sponsored had a sign up about something happening there. There's a bunch of churches going east once you get past Woodland or so.

Also, would this be the first new church building in the loop/crossroads area in like 60+ years?
looks like it is the first new church building. there's been some existing space reused by new churches but no new building

Churches are clearly a benchmark of an area like a grocery store.
There should be a minimum of 16-20 different religions and denominations downtown at a minimum. When you add the walkable aspect to it I would expect to see 30-40 churches. Right now most of them are on the long-standing residential areas.

There aren't anywhere near that many existing church buildings downtown.

My guess, the number of churches downtown should double in the coming years.
The River Market looks to have one. Add a couple thousand people and that could go to 3-4
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

pash wrote:Thirty or forty churches, each inevitably with parking sized for rare congregations of hundreds people, would mean nothing else downtown.

I am hugely disappointed by this use of one of only two full-block development parcels in the core of the Crossroads.
Parking for hundreds of people, by design under utilized during business hours and an org looking to bring in money for their outreach ministry, would be exactly what we need to provide shared parking for the owners who own small lots their workers use.

I see an opportunity to turn over more small parking lots into profitable small buildings.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I'm fine with the building design, and I'm glad that something is happening with the giant parking lot, but I don't think that this function will contribute to many people wanting to move nearby and live here. From what I understand, the congregation is mostly made up of a moderately progressive people, who will mostly be driving in from other parts of the metro to worship. If the church had sprung up out of an organic need within the downtown community, I would be more excited. This church and a few others like it are grappling with the view that they are around for the "a white many set them free" pat on the back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sfE0Ev ... 14F342B47D
My initial comment was mostly around the fact that a downtown full of giant cowboy posters and churches is not really representative of what has been happening in the urban community over the last 20 or so years. That is Tulsa. If the church results in a lot of people moving downtown, then I'll be very happy. If it involves a bunch of people moving from suburban areas and trying to suburbanize an urban area, I'll be a bit upset. Lots of unknowns so far, but I think they are a genuine congregation who means well, and I hope they wish to add to the growing cultural identity of downtown rather than to control it.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

bobbyhawks wrote:My initial comment was mostly around the fact that a downtown full of giant cowboy posters and churches is not really representative of what has been happening in the urban community over the last 20 or so years. That is Tulsa.
Off topic, but Tulsa is completely underrated.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Or, ya know, they saw an opportunity to buy the lot next door and bought it.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.