Church of the Resurrection Downtown Campus

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Church of the Resurrection Downtown Campus

Post by bobbyhawks »

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

bobbyhawks wrote:Ha. Initial rendering in post 2 of this thread vs. the recent photo. Yikes! Cooler modern college campus-like building with a cross on it vs. 1990s Ultra-Suburbo Police HQ.
Everything you see in the rendering is still in the project. But construction isn’t complete so it’s not all installed yet.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I have a feeling that in 20 years that building gets demolished for an office tower.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote:I have a feeling that in 20 years that building gets demolished for an office tower.
They own the land and don't pay taxes on it. What's their incentive to sell?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

People stop going to the church? Have you seen the statistics on church attendance lately among millennials.

https://www.cnn.com/2015/05/12/living/p ... index.html
Only 2 in 10 Americans under 30 believe attending a church is important or worthwhile (an all-time low).
https://faithit.com/12-reasons-millenni ... sam-eaton/

It's happened before. There are empty former churches all over Kansas City that closed due to lack of attendance.
Last edited by FangKC on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DaveKCMO wrote:
FangKC wrote:I have a feeling that in 20 years that building gets demolished for an office tower.
Money. Same as everyone. If it's not bringing in enough money to cover their expenses (insurance, maintenance and so on) then they will sell to put that money toward other programs. Unless they feel it's worth losing money on to subsidize from their other campuses.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm not religious, but man, you guys are hard on this development. It's a nice little infill development and new construction too and will probably add to the community. I think they did a good job making a modern church fit in with the crossroads architecture style and it's not overly gaudy either. There is a shit ton of other empty lots, parking lots etc for development. Its' not like Downtown KC is running out of room for development anytime soon.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

shinatoo wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
Money. Same as everyone. If it's not bringing in enough money to cover their expenses (insurance, maintenance and so on) then they will sell to put that money toward other programs. Unless they feel it's worth losing money on to subsidize from their other campuses.
You both and others here are complete boob idiots. COR is downtown to meet the spiritual needs of those with faith that happen to live downtown. Something you and the other degenerates here would know nothing at all about as you are totally clueless about life outside of your worthless, prejudiced, metro-homo-tri-bi-draw-the-line-at-sheep-sexual, masturbatory, soy-drinking, self-indulged, meaningless existence.

I'm glad to see them building new, my earlier comment about the building is that they could have done something a bit more extravagant and architecturally better.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

GRID wrote:I'm not religious, but man, you guys are hard on this development. It's a nice little infill development and new construction too and will probably add to the community. I think they did a good job making a modern church fit in with the crossroads architecture style and it's not overly gaudy either. There is a shit ton of other empty lots, parking lots etc for development. Its' not like Downtown KC is running out of room for development anytime soon.
Grid, I think it's because they choose an entire city block on a major artery street. Had it been a vacant lot at E. 18th and Cherry, or 19th and Oak, I don't think you would see the same level of complaints.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

FangKC wrote:
GRID wrote:I'm not religious, but man, you guys are hard on this development. It's a nice little infill development and new construction too and will probably add to the community. I think they did a good job making a modern church fit in with the crossroads architecture style and it's not overly gaudy either. There is a shit ton of other empty lots, parking lots etc for development. Its' not like Downtown KC is running out of room for development anytime soon.
Grid, I think it's because they choose an entire city block on a major artery street. Had it been a vacant lot at E. 18th and Cherry, or 19th and Oak, I don't think you would see the same level of complaints.
I get that , but Grand has a bazillion blocks that needs to be developed or re-developed. Most of Grand looks like hell outside a few blocks here and there. It will take decades worth of KC paced development just to bring Grand up to decent urban build up and it won't be all 10-20 story buildings. All things considered, I think this is a pretty nice development for the area and it will be a community asset just like a grocery store as long as they are not too conservative and start going after the strip clubs or fighting the streetcar tax etc. Again, I'm not religious but I'm sure it will serve a need for the residents in the area. Plus an urban church investing in the community like that is just more activity, more chances for community interaction etc. Trust me, KC is not going to turn into OKC because they are building a church downtown. KC has a totally different vibe than OKC and always will. Just looking on the bright side I guess. I do think the city should tear down that cowboy sign. I still hate that thing :).
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

NorthOak wrote:You both and others here are complete boob idiots. COR is downtown to meet the spiritual needs of those with faith that happen to live downtown. Something you and the other degenerates here would know nothing at all about as you are totally clueless about life outside of your worthless, prejudiced, metro-homo-tri-bi-draw-the-line-at-sheep-sexual, masturbatory, soy-drinking, self-indulged, meaningless existence.

I'm glad to see them building new, my earlier comment about the building is that they could have done something a bit more extravagant and architecturally better.
Oh this troll again. :roll:
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

NorthOak wrote:
shinatoo wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
You both and others here are complete boob idiots. COR is downtown to meet the spiritual needs of those with faith that happen to live downtown. Something you and the other degenerates here would know nothing at all about as you are totally clueless about life outside of your worthless, prejudiced, metro-homo-tri-bi-draw-the-line-at-sheep-sexual, masturbatory, soy-drinking, self-indulged, meaningless existence.

COR is downtown to meet the spiritual needs of those with faith that happen to live downtown.
You could have made the same point without calling people names.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Fang, looking at that land, the church must have gotten that land cheap. I would think that land value for a ready to build large site would be too high for a small church, but maybe they slipped in and grabbed it while it was cheap. It could be worse, the Star could have land-banked the parking lot and it would just remain that forever.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

GRID wrote:Fang, looking at that land, the church must have gotten that land cheap. I would think that land value for a ready to build large site would be too high for a small church, but maybe they slipped in and grabbed it while it was cheap. It could be worse, the Star could have land-banked the parking lot and it would just remain that forever.
Forever is a long time and at the Star it's current trajectory doesn't point to them being around forever. Someone better figure out what to do with that glass printing pavilion once the newspaper shutters or tear it down for an office building.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Star is already selling assets. They sold their long-time headquarters building on Grand, and several of their other properties in the neighborhood.

My point though is that there are probably 3-4 entire block parcels--that are already cleared--on Grand that a big employer lured downtown might build on (10th and Grand, 12th and Grand, 16th and Grand, and 20th and Grand). Main and Grand are the preferred streets for big employers. I don't see BATS, Tradebot, Seaboard, KCP&L , Waddell & Reed, or YRC moving to a new office building at 8th and Charlotte.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCLover wrote: Forever is a long time and at the Star it's current trajectory doesn't point to them being around forever. Someone better figure out what to do with that glass printing pavilion once the newspaper shutters or tear it down for an office building.
New city aquarium. This was decided by kcrag long ago.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCLover wrote:Forever is a long time and at the Star it's current trajectory doesn't point to them being around forever. Someone better figure out what to do with that glass printing pavilion once the newspaper shutters or tear it down for an office building.
Move science city into it so that union station might have a chance at functioning again
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Star Pavilion also might be modified for some type of arcade type retail operation.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I feel like a museum would be a great addition to the star building if they end up leaving it
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

mean wrote:Oh this troll again. :roll:
Stop crying you spoiled turd. Your comment is the epitome of what a troll is and does.
You just can't keep your anti-religious hatred and close-mindedness to yourself.
Anyone with half-a-brain can read these comments taking cheap shots at people of faith and religion and see the hatred and bias.
I'm just calling you close-minded worms out.
Move to an atheist state, we'd all be so much happier.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.