OFFICIAL - East Village

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL: East Village downtown neighborhood

Post by FangKC »

Here is a map showing who owns parcels in the East Village Redevelopment District.

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Really? After all this time ownership hasn't been addressed? What the heck has Swope been doing?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Why buy before needing? Besides that takes money, money they may not have until a project is approved.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCDowntown wrote:There's a line item on next week's TIF meeting to terminate the development agreement with Swope Community Builders.

KCDowntown
did it get approved?
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

DaveKCMO wrote:
KCDowntown wrote:There's a line item on next week's TIF meeting to terminate the development agreement with Swope Community Builders.

KCDowntown
did it get approved?
Still waiting for an update on this. The east village area really needs something like what's being built on Quality Hill to round out the loop.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Transit-oriented projects aim to catalyze 18th Street, East Village:

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... plans.html
The Kansas City Area Transportation Authority, which has been working on its first transit-oriented development project in the River Market, is working on two more. One could incorporate new offices for the authority in a mixed-use development on 18th Street. The other would relocate the busy transit plaza at 10th and Main streets.
Subscriber only article. Anyone with a subscription want to give some more info?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

18th street:
Makinen said he envisions new residential and retail development on the 18th Street sites, which lie in the middle of a six-block stretch separating the booming East Crossroads district and the Historic 18th & Vine Jazz District, where the city is spending millions on revitalization projects.

"This (KCATA) building is old, and I'm tired of pouring money down a hole," said Makinen, who'd like to see new KCATA offices incorporated in the new transit-oriented development along with new retail and residential components.

He'd also like to see KCATA retain some equity in the new development, which would fulfill one of the authority's goals of getting more involved in economic development: a new revenue stream for the bistate transit operator.
east village/10th and main:
Makinen said Downtown Council of Kansas City and other downtown stakeholders are supportive of the plan to relocate the 10th and Main transit plaza.

In addition to eliminating congestion at the key downtown intersection, which is difficult for 40-foot buses to navigate, relocation of the transit plaza would open up prime real estate at the southwest corner of 10th and Main streets for high-rise commercial development, he said.

Sean O'Byrne, vice president of business development for the Downtown Council, said the search for a new transit-oriented development site currently is focused on four potential locations on the east side of the downtown loop.

They include the former site of a Greyhound bus depot northwest of 12th and Charlotte streets, which the city toppled in 2009 as part of a $12 million effort to remove blight in the East Village redevelopment area.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Fucking yes please
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

councilwoman justus said at a community meeting tonight that swope/vantrust had a new plan for east village and that it included a high school.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Interesting. Is that tied to crossroads academy I assume? They were looking for a location on streetcar line last I heard
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

KCPowercat wrote:Interesting. Is that tied to crossroads academy I assume? They were looking for a location on streetcar line last I heard
I am fairly confident it is tied to the Crossroads Academy. It would be brand new, ground up construction. Exciting stuff!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

hartliss wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Interesting. Is that tied to crossroads academy I assume? They were looking for a location on streetcar line last I heard
I am fairly confident it is tied to the Crossroads Academy. It would be brand new, ground up construction. Exciting stuff!
Hopefully it is part of a mixed-use development. I don't think the East Village area needs any additional single purpose institutional uses.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I can't help by be disappointed that Swope is still the lead on East Village development, after years of inactivity while practically every other part of downtown (RCP corridor, really) has seen action. I'm optimistic for a school, but fear that it will be a bland 2-story building accentuated with corrugate metal and chain link fence with two blocks of surface parking, and Swope will call it a win.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kcjak wrote:I can't help by be disappointed that Swope is still the lead on East Village development, after years of inactivity while practically every other part of downtown (RCP corridor, really) has seen action. I'm optimistic for a school, but fear that it will be a bland 2-story building accentuated with corrugate metal and chain link fence with two blocks of surface parking, and Swope KCMOwill call it a win.
The real shame.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

DaveKCMO wrote:councilwoman justus said at a community meeting tonight that swope/vantrust had a new plan for east village and that it included a high school.
Any updates or announcements for this?
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

I don't think this has been discussed yet, but it looks like Vantrust is now the lead developer for the east village. Swope is still on as co-developer, but hopefully this means things are picking up...

http://cityscenekc.com/vantrust-assumes ... ment-area/
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Mentioned in the article:

VanTrust is considering office development with a more suburban style, larger floor plates and low-rise buildings.

“We do think there’s a market for that kind of product downtown,” Muller said.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Every downtown deserves it's own office park. Open 9-5 weekdays.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

I have a complex question and I'm not sure anyone can answer it but...uh...why is every KC-based developer completely fucking brain dead?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

JBmidtown wrote:I have a complex question and I'm not sure anyone can answer it but...uh...why is every KC-based developer completely fucking brain dead?
Conservative local banks and people with $$$...when developers say they are responding to the "market", they mean banks