OFFICIAL - Second and Delaware

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Second and Delaware

Post by loftguy »

taxi wrote: Perhaps it would help to change the name back to the River Quay.
Perhaps if you hadn't missed the meeting in '97 it would have been....
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i [heart] this thread.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

loftguy wrote:
harbinger911 wrote: 3rd Street is another high profile street that suburbanites drive down and it has virtually no street front development, making it look ghetto.

Seems like developers don't mind developing the back yard of the Market area while avoiding the riff-raff along the major streets.
Ahhh, it couldn't remain a secret.

In October of 1997, all the developers in the River Market gathered at a secret meeting at Cafe' Al Dente.

At this meeting, the inevitable problem of suburbanites in the neighborhood was discussed in frightening detail.

Recognizing that roundabouts and Panera's were magnets for 'these people', it was decided that the neighborhood should take steps to insure that the elites would never feel comfortable in the area and that eliminating finish, polish and excessive refinements from the future hood was necessary to prevent infestation with pink persons.

What you see today, is the result of their ingenious plans.

Sidewalks are cracked and weedy. Parking lots are tight, heavily signed with towing threats and these lots are distributed to prime corners of 3rd and 5th streets. The smell of urine lurks around every corner. The City Market is filled with and a broad range of brown-skinned peoples....Sudanese, Bangladeshi, Honduran and the like. Parallel parking has been preserved in every possible location (elites can't p-p in public). Pedestrians and bicyclists have been distributed throughout the area with instructions to slowly enter crosswalks when sub's are seen entering the area. Restaurants are alerted to ask haughtily "But, did you make a reservation?! .....upon encountering such tattoo-lacking foreigners entering even empty establishments.

Your help is needed though. If in doubt, don't smile, don't say 'howdy', give them wrong directions. It's for the good of the community.
Perfect
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Fine Homebuilding magazine provides an in depth review of this development and its importance http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/12 ... be-a-giant
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 92071.html
A Kansas City taxing authority on Thursday approved issuance and sale of up to $30 million in Multifamily Housing Revenue Bonds to help finance acquisition and construction of the Second and Delaware apartment project in the River Market.

The authorization by the Planned Industrial Expansion Authority is part of the financing needed by developer Jonathan Arnold for the residential complex that’s earning national attention for its innovative energy-efficiency and “lean construction” processes.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

from tomorrow's CPC agenda:
Case No. 1718-V - A request to vacate Delaware Street north of the north line of Second Street and south of the Missouri River.
Applicant: SK Design Group Inc., John Chamberlin
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

DaveKCMO wrote:from tomorrow's CPC agenda:
Case No. 1718-V - A request to vacate Delaware Street north of the north line of Second Street and south of the Missouri River.
Applicant: SK Design Group Inc., John Chamberlin

I am excited about this development, yet I really dislike vacating another street. I know this particular street is only a street in name, as it is mostly overgrown, inaccessible gravel that goes nowhere, but it shows a disregard for the historic fabric of the city at its origin point. This is DELAWARE STREET north of 2nd - this is one of the gulleys, one of the three or four original paths from the river to the bluff. This is a stretch that was graded down almost one-hundred feet to make it habitable and accessible. Couldn't the developer recognize this significance? If we continue to vacate streets without consideration and develop superblocks over the oldest, most significant strata of our city, there will be no remnant of place left. Rejecting the grid so wholeheartedly is like a desperate version of accepting the highway loop devastation for economic purposes, a 'we have to do it because the developers tell us this is the only way.' It is not the only way. It is the easy way, the homogeneous way that deflates what little connection we have left to what makes our city our place.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think the physical cut of the street will remain. I think they are vacating it as a city street so that the pedestrian bridge between the two sides of the complex can be constructed. It will also become one of the entrances to the below-grade garages on each side of the street.

If you look at the photos on the developer's website, you see that the physical cut where the street runs will remain. It also appears that pedestrians will be able to walk down that grade to the river if they want.

http://www.arnolddevelopmentgroup.com/p ... ry11456]/0
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

http://www.arnolddevelopmentgroup.com/p ... ry11456]/3

this one shows a gap below the bridge making it more clear there's a slope. quirky address with the square brackets. copy the whole line and it will work
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Wouldn't vacating this significant, historic right of way put it under private control? That is ceding a part of our public place to a private entity, and it is happens all of the time around downtown, whether it is an alley behind Grinders or McGee Street through the loop. Now our grid is a patchwork and there is no entity that considers the overall impact.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It depends I think. I think there are ways in the process where the City can mandate that the closed street must remain available to the public for access to the riverfront. Maybe not car traffic, but as a pedestrian corridor.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

FangKC wrote:Image
It is a very attractive project. This is a great project for our city, but man, this site is so unique, and maybe deserves something more engaging and public in nature. Also, look how the rendering doesn't even show the Missouri River, at least in the way it is cropped - as if it isn't even there. So the use of the former Delaware Street will be public indefinitely, even if the land is now privately held? Is there a chance a fence could block it off?

I know we don't use or need this access now, but man, this is a powerful site and I'd hate to permanently remove one of our precious few connections to the river for an apartment project.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I bet it gets fenced off. Don't know if it still is, but that used to be a homeless highway to the woods below. I'm sure they don't want that to continue through the middle of their development.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I'll take a privatized alley or street that is attractive and well taken care of over a dilapidated and abandoned public one any day.

This project is attractive aesthetically, but more importantly it takes green architecture to a new level that has been done in the U.S. before. It will be very good for the city's image
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

This project is raising the bar for downtown development. It's not another cheap fucco box or suburban kit shoehorned into an urban site. It's the kind of thing that will still be economically and environmentally viable in 50 years instead of a redevelopment target clamoring for incentives.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

No incentives on 2nd & Del???