OFFICIAL - McCown Gordon HQ

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCDevin

OFFICIAL - McCown Gordon HQ

Post by KCDevin »

Another win!
McCownGordon will move Downtown
McCownGordon Construction LLC will move to a now-empty building at 422 Admiral Blvd. after buying the building on Feb. 25, the company's CEO said Tuesday.

Pat McCown said he expects to move around the end of the year to the north end of Downtown. Timing will depend on economic incentives the company receives, McCown said.

He said he's encouraged about getting help after having met with officials of the Economic Development Corp. of Kansas City in January.

McCownGordon now leases office space at 1 W. Armour Blvd. in midtown Kansas City, where the company has been since its founding in 1999. McCown said he also had considered moving to Kansas City, Kan., but decided to stay in Kansas City because of work the company does for the city, most notably as construction adviser on the Bartle Hall expansion.

From 35 to 40 people work at McCownGordon's headquarters.

Ed Elder, a broker with Grubb & Ellis/The Winbury Group, represented McCownGordon in its building purchase. Pat McGannon of Kessinger/Hunter & Co. represented the building's seller.

The transaction's terms weren't disclosed.

McGannon wrote in an e-mail message to The Business Journal that the building was built in 1919 as a Ford dealership. The three-story structure was used for nearly 79 years by Holland Nameplate, which has moved to North Kansas City.

© 2004 American City Business Journals Inc.
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - McCown Gordon HQ

Post by KC Kropf »

YESSSS!!!! always good to see!
On to the Next One
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

McCown Gordon has submitted plans on the city's development tracker to relocate to the northwest corner of 9th and main. Their offices are currently located at 422 Admiral, so they are moving just a few blocks.

It looks like the new location is currently where Catholic Charities has some offices. It is unclear to me if they plan to tear down and rebuild or just gut the building and renovate.

Proposal

Current view

Also, mods may want to retitle this thread, but I thought I'd add this here since it is related to this same company so people can follow the history.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I am not of the mind that all new construction in the Downtown area needs to be high rise (Corrigan Station Phase 2 doesn't bother me), but this seems like a site that calls for larger/more dense development.

It does look like they could just be renovating and adding a small addition to the current building, which I guess would make this more excusable. If this is a complete tear down and new build, it should be larger.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The foundation level looks different. I bet it will be a teardown.
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: If this is a complete tear down and new build, it should be larger.
With this small a lot you have the standard issue of the taller you go the more of a floor is given up to elevators and utilities.

probably hit a practical sweet spot quickly
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

i would assume that it would be easier to purchase an empty lot somewhere else along the streetcar line than to purchase an existing building and tear it down. Guess my assumptions are wrong.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mister816 wrote:i would assume that it would be easier to purchase an empty lot somewhere else along the streetcar line than to purchase an existing building and tear it down. Guess my assumptions are wrong.
There’s only four true empty lots along the corridor
One is tied up with an occupied building and the rest are part of an announced project.

Don’t look at a parking lot and assume parking = for sale.
Remember that not every owner wants to sell.

In capitalism people get to keep their parking spots if they want to pay the price.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

confirmed this is a retrofit.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Star article says they will ask for incentives. Personally, I think on the streetcar line = no incentives. There shouldn't be a need.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote:Star article says they will ask for incentives. Personally, I think on the streetcar line = no incentives. There shouldn't be a need.
stop it. that's literally not a thing. the incentive policy doesn't specify projects on the streetcar line can't apply.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Don't be dumb. I didn't say they couldn't apply. What are they going to claim blight even though it's on one of the most highly sought after pieces of real estate in the city now? If that piece of property is blighted, then so is every other property in the entire city.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote:If that piece of property is blighted, then so is every other property in the entire city.
which is exactly why we have a TIF'd costo built on a greenfield in the northland. the playing field is level in KC, my friend.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

If you push pieces of property like that one as blighted, you're going to literally blow up the whole TIF program. People are going to rightfully call it a scam. Other companies have avoided TIF along the streetcar recently because they know its disingenuous to even ask. McCown Gordon should step up like these other companies and say the don't need TIF to make this a viable development. Heck, the building is even occupied and was redeveloped not that long ago. Embarrassed for McCown Gordon. Pat should say he won't take TIF.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Yeah that is just unabashed corporate welfare. Gross and not how TIF should be used at all.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Rezoning and development approved

incentives approved
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Ridiculous.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

McCownGordon Celebrates Start of Downtown Headquarters Project
McCownGordon Construction celebrated the start of a $10.5 million renovation project that will convert a three-story building at 850 Main St. into its new headquarters Wednesday.

“We wanted a home right in the heart of downtown Kansas City that would position our firm for the next 20 years,” CEO Ramin Cherafat told an audience gathered for the groundbreaking event.

The 45,000 square-foot building had been owned by the Catholic Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph and previously was occupied by Catholic Charities.

The renovation design by Helix Architecture + Design will remove the existing facade and replace it with glass. The firm, which employs 275 people locally, plans to relocate there in early 2019.
https://cityscenekc.com/mccowngordon-ce ... s-project/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Construction barrier is up and exterior demo has started.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Photo: July 13, 2018.