Tension Envelope Building

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Tension Envelope Building

Post by shinatoo »

Is this building still occupied? Seams like there are multiple code violations and a rehab/reuse would be incredible for that area. One of the biggest eyesores in Downtown!
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Tension Envelope Building

Post by JBmidtown »

I would say all the surface parking, warehouses and 71 are far worse eyesores than Tension. Also, there's definitely still envelopes being manufactured there.

Really I'm just a huge fan of that neon beauty on top
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I thought it was still an operating envelope factory. But I also thought "EDM" was some kind of embarrassing penis-related disease until like a week ago.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Looks like it's still in operation, but I cannot imagine they have anything more than two floors operating. Windows are busted out in the rest of them. Plus i would assume that the envelope business is not a growth industry.

JB I'm sure that the 71 Highway issues are much easier to tackle than a dilapidated six floor building&

And, do you think people would be more interested in developing surface lots next to a cool industrial rehab or a bombed out shit box?

How about some code enforcement down there!

I can agree with you on the sign. As much a landmark in KC as the Western Auto sign.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

This building has been coming up a lot in conversation. I don't think they're quite ready to sell, but someone's advising them.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:23 pm This building has been coming up a lot in conversation. I don't think they're quite ready to sell, but someone's advising them.
Key piece to connect East Crossroads to 18th & Vine. Would be a difficult project just to empty the building but could be huge payoff in the end. Goodwill building just to the north could be moving soon as well.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Both of those properties (Tension and Goodwill) would be good buildings to renovate for that Keystone innovation district that is being discussed.

http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2 ... ne#p584223
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Tension envelope is the family business of one of Kansas City's six living mayors. (Hint: it's not Mayor Wheeler). The family name was anglicized along the way, similar to the surname of another KC scion from the same neighborhood.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Berkley
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Used to be Berkowitz
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

Tension was definitely still making specialty envelopes (among other things) in that building 5 years ago, with loads of machines running on several floors. It seemed like a pretty sizable operation, but their bread and butter products were manufactured in China at the time.