3rd & Grand to be redeveloped as TOD

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: 3rd & Grand to be redeveloped as TOD

Post by kboish »

Highlander wrote:At 200,000 sq ft, this is a pretty good sized office project. I'm wondering what happened to the building that was formerly occupied by the architectural firm (Populous??). Whoever it was, they moved to the plaza. Is that space vacant or has it been leased since? Very un-Kansas City like for an entity to build a spec building at this scale with a relatively new office building sitting vacant in the same area (if it is indeed vacant).
Still (mostly) vacant
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

From KCBJ, 5/16:
New York-based commercial real estate firm Somera Road Inc. acquired the four-story, 94,846-square-foot building in 2016 and rebranded it as 3Y. It also made extensive improvements aimed at refilling the former Populous headquarters.

Sandbox, which took over the second and third floors at 300 Wyandotte St., aimed to incorporate a warm and modern look in its area, Whitehill said.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

An ordinance regarding this project was introduced to the council yesterday:
Authorizing the City Manager to negotiate a development agreement with Briarcliff Development Company and the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority in relation to the financing and construction of a mixed-use development at 3rd _ Grand.
WHEREAS, the KCATA, in cooperation with the City, selected Briarcliff Development Company (the “Developer”) to construct and own a project that is expected to include two (2) 150,000 square foot office towers, an approximately 2,000 square foot multi-modal transportation facility, up to 10,000 square feet of ground level retail space, and a parking garage containing not less than 568 stalls (collectively, the “Project”)
http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... bdUZKKc7Ho
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm happy something is finally happening there.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:54 pm An ordinance regarding this project was introduced to the council yesterday:
Authorizing the City Manager to negotiate a development agreement with Briarcliff Development Company and the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority in relation to the financing and construction of a mixed-use development at 3rd _ Grand.
WHEREAS, the KCATA, in cooperation with the City, selected Briarcliff Development Company (the “Developer”) to construct and own a project that is expected to include two (2) 150,000 square foot office towers, an approximately 2,000 square foot multi-modal transportation facility, up to 10,000 square feet of ground level retail space, and a parking garage containing not less than 568 stalls (collectively, the “Project”)
http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... bdUZKKc7Ho
Looks like the numbers increased on this project? Back to 300k sf up from 200k sf?
Two 150k sf towers is 50k sf larger than Strata's 250k sf on 16 floors.
568 space garage vs 750 spaces at Strata.
If Strata was 300k sf it would be 19 floors.
This could be a pretty sizable project with the increased square footage plus incorporating the parking on-site.
I'm guessing two 8 floor towers on top of retail & parking. Maybe 10 floors total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

They were talking about moving the parking to north of the power plant. It's not clear if that's part of the submitted plan.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC Council to take up incentives for River Market mixed-use project
The Kansas City Council on Thursday is scheduled to take up a long-discussed project that would turn a block of surface parking in the River Market into a transit-oriented development.

On the council's agenda is an ordinance authorizing the city manager to to negotiate a development agreement with the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority (KCATA) and Briarcliff Development Co. in relation to the financing and construction of the development at Third Street and Grand Avenue.
The city would aid the project with $14.75 million in incentives for the garage, according to the ordinance.
https://tinyurl.com/yae8lzwq

taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I hope no one on the council mentions to Garney that this is south of the river. At least not until it's finished.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Star article today says size is 200k sf: https://t.co/lYSabPXJcn
Would accomodate up to 800 tech jobs.
Timber frame construction.
568 space garage available to public nights and weekends (125 available to public 24 hrs)

Looks to be 5 or 6 stories.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

New design. I wish it was as tall as the Cold Storage Lofts though. :?

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I know it's only an initial rendering, but really liked that grassy knoll over the concrete plaza.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If there is a grassy knoll though, the Secret Service will never let any US President near the City Market.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Last edited by TheLastGentleman on Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

Isn't that right there at that Oriental store? I hope it isn't disturbed. I like to go down there and pick up some things from time to time.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Darlene wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:29 am Isn't that right there at that Oriental store? I hope it isn't disturbed. I like to go down there and pick up some things from time to time.
Not sure which of the five Asian markets you mean. Chinatown Market, Hung Vuong, Huong Que, Yoki and Hien Vuong. Though none should be impacted.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:40 pm Image

I was really confused by this and thought they were going to tear down City Diner and re-align Grand for some reason, before I finally figured out there wasn't any space between these pictures. :lol:
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

scooterj wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:06 am
I was really confused by this and thought they were going to tear down City Diner and re-align Grand for some reason, before I finally figured out there wasn't any space between these pictures. :lol:
I spent a couple of minutes trying to figure it out as well.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Fixed!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Last edited by normalthings on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:24 pm New design. I wish it was as tall as the Cold Storage Lofts though. :?