New York Life building, trapped cat

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

New York Life building, trapped cat

Post by HalcyonKC »

While walking home from Milwaukee Deli this evening, I noticed loud meows coming from a window well on the southwest corner of the New York Life building at 9th and Baltimore. I turned the flashlight on my iPhone on, peered down through the bars and saw a pair of glowing green eyes way down in the dark looking back up at me. Unfortunately, it appeared to go down about 10 feet and connect to some kind of tunnel space underneath Baltimore Street itself.

Any urban explorers on here know if that space under the street connects somewhere that the kitty might eventually let himself out? Or is the cat trapped and out of luck?

The way the windows at the New York Life building continue below the street level, it also makes me wonder about the history of the area and if this is one of the streets whose level was altered at some point in the past, or if it has always been that way.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: New York Life building, trapped cat

Post by FangKC »

There is probably some drainage tunnels that run under the streets to storm drains, and drain those window-wells, and the cat got in that way.