1515 Gennessee - West Bottoms

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

1515 Gennessee - West Bottoms

Post by loftguy »

Kevin Collison reports today in the KC Star, that Bill Haw is to develop a new mixed-use building at 1515 Genessee.

Eleven apartments and ground floor commercial, in a modern shell.

Bill controls a lot of property down there and he has the depth to make significant things happen.

Go Bill................

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... ttoms.html
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 1515 Gennessee - West Bottoms

Post by KCMax »

Bill is so passionate about the West Bottoms. Go Bill!
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Not tall enough, design sucks, too suburban/looks like 175th and Bumfuck, not dense enough, doesn't interact with street right, too much parking, materials look cheap, not enough groundfloorretail, missed opportunity, better to wait for something gooder, probably should have asked me first...
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Cool location. You're just around the corner from the Lower Westside via Genessee & 25th Street.
It'll be interesting how they market this to artists. Just 5 years ago, artists could rent massive spaces in the WB for the same prices they'll be now asked to pile atop each other, like in a real city.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Chingon .
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chingon wrote:Not tall enough, design sucks, too suburban/looks like 175th and Bumfuck, not dense enough, doesn't interact with street right, too much parking, materials look cheap, not enough groundfloorretail, missed opportunity, better to wait for something gooder, probably should have asked me first...
The crazy thing is it is actually properly designed. Something too often missing from new developments.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Tax abatement? Really Bill Haw? I thought you were against tax abatement...but maybe not for your projects. [-X

Actually like to the project...hope its successful!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Screw you guys, the Bottoms are great! The thrift/antique places are maintaining the building stock until they're ripe for other endeavors. Between Genessee, Voltaire and Woodswether, I've got my food options covered, and now I hear about another bar, The Ship. Throw in the multitude of festivals, Boulevardia, Baconfest, Royal and you're just a little residential away from vibrancy. Go Bill Haw!
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Grovester's right, WB is over, WB has arrived.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Great project!
Looks like the image from the Star article may have been stretched without maintaining the aspect ratio, making it appear taller than it otherwise would. Here is the same image from the Centric Projects website:

http://www.centricprojects.com/projects/
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:Grovester's right, WB is over, WB has arrived.
To quote Nick Cave last night:

I'm vibrating
I'm transforming
Look at me now
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Critical_Mass wrote:Great project!
Looks like the image from the Star article may have been stretched without maintaining the aspect ratio, making it appear taller than it otherwise would. Here is the same image from the Centric Projects website:

I'm curious about the materials, but it's a nice looking building. Shoutout to KEM Studio for the great work they do.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

grovester wrote:Screw you guys, the Bottoms are great! The thrift/antique places are maintaining the building stock until they're ripe for other endeavors. Between Genessee, Voltaire and Woodswether, I've got my food options covered, and now I hear about another bar, The Ship. Throw in the multitude of festivals, Boulevardia, Baconfest, Royal and you're just a little residential away from vibrancy. Go Bill Haw!
Don't forget Amigoni. A great night is to get a glass of wine at Amigoni before it closes (they also have Boulevard on tap) and to walk down to Voltaire for dinner.

There was an article many months ago about a 24 hour diner that is allegedly going to open (no idea of the timetable now) operated by the owners of Pole Worx. They have been working on the ground floor space on the Southeast corner of 16th and Genessee (across from Golden Ox) for a while, but I haven't heard about that project for some time.

It is also really fun to ride your bike around the WB, wandering around the Kemper grounds when it isn't too busy or taking the bike/ped trail across the pedestrian bridge to Kaw Point.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

harbinger911 wrote: I wish there were 20 of these projects with a few more floors being built in the River Market instead.
Uhhh...There are something like 500 units in the pipeline in the River Market area... closer to 1000 if you include the riverfront.
Worn Copy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Worn Copy »

chaglang wrote:
Critical_Mass wrote:Great project!

I'm curious about the materials, but it's a nice looking building. Shoutout to KEM Studio for the great work they do.
KCMO needs about 100 of these built, like, yesterday.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

grovester wrote:

I'm vibrating
I'm transforming
Look at me now
That's about transcendence, soft loft developments are about profit and mediocrity.

I'm so bored with the USA
But what can I do?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:
grovester wrote:

I'm vibrating
I'm transforming
Look at me now
That's about transcendence, soft loft developments are about profit and mediocrity.

I'm so bored with the USA
But what can I do?
I think even Nick would tell you to lighten up a little.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

This project seems to be moving pretty quickly - here is a New Commerical Building Permit that came through today.

KCDowntown
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

grovester wrote:Screw you guys, the Bottoms are great! The thrift/antique places are maintaining the building stock until they're ripe for other endeavors. Between Genessee, Voltaire and Woodswether, I've got my food options covered, and now I hear about another bar, The Ship. Throw in the multitude of festivals, Boulevardia, Baconfest, Royal and you're just a little residential away from vibrancy. Go Bill Haw!
I stumbled into the West Bottoms by accident on my recent trip to KC. The place was hopping. I arrived totally by accident during "Warehouse Weekend" (I think that was what it was called) and it was an extremely well attended event. I really liked the options the food trucks brought along. But they've got to do something with the odor down there - it certainly discouraged any appetite. The smell of sewage was pretty strong and pervasive while we were there; I am hoping that is not a regular occurrence.