Downtown Hy-Vee concept

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Downtown Hy-Vee concept

Post by KCtonic »

Market 3 is a huge benefit to the River Market. The deli & salad bar has continued to get better & better at reasonable prices. The food/dry goods selection is limited, but meant to be a convenience-type selection for that item you just need at a moments notice or just don't want to walk/drive/bus to the grocery store for. We use the place on a roughly weekly basis for an item or two and probably more for a quick salad or sandwich. The addition of the beer/wine recently makes it even better.
mykn

Post by mykn »

loftguy wrote:
mykn wrote: Market 3 was a huge disappointment when I went there a couple of years ago. Essentially had the same selection as a gas station.
I tried, but I just can't let this lie.

When first opened, Market 3 was in 2,000 square feet, but they managed to provide a fresh soup and salad bar, a deli counter, produce, frozen and chilled foods and basic grocery and snack items.

What an asset. This concept is what we need and should have 10x over throughout downtown.

They have since doubled their size. They have a bakery chef who is churning out dangerous goodies daily. They have a full liquor license.

They've gotten better all the time and they ask the community to tell them what else it is that they need to do.

They work their butts off and have taken the risk, to make something good happen.

A tip of my hat to this group....
Good to hear! Like I said, I haven't been there for a long time and the time I had been in there, I was disappointed by what I saw (A few metal shelves with the typical gas station items). I'll have to check them out again, it sounds like they have really improved the place since I last was there.

Edit: Just re-read your original message, where do/did they have the produce? I didn't see anything like that when I was in there.

Edit2: Just checked out their Yelp and in the photos they do have produce! Maybe when I was there they didn't, or something was different that day. Either way, I didn't mean to bad-mouth them when it seems like they provide a great service to the residents in the RM, just sharing my one experience. It looks like I'm going to need to go back and check them out.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

But, the best feature of Market 3 is that they carry Shakespeare's Pizza.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

smh wrote:But, the best feature of Market 3 is that they carry Shakespeare's Pizza.
nice! is there anywhere else in KC that does this?
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

chrizow wrote:
smh wrote:But, the best feature of Market 3 is that they carry Shakespeare's Pizza.
Most of the Hy-Vees in Missouri. http://shakespeares.com/fz-grocers/
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

longviewmo wrote:
chrizow wrote:
Most of the Hy-Vees in Missouri. http://shakespeares.com/fz-grocers/
I'd say that's about 3/4 of the metro hyvees based on the map.
add McGonigle's to that list
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

There you go.

Last time I looked at the Shakespeare's list most of the Hy-vees were pretty far outside the core. I.e., I don't think Gladstone had it back then (perhaps they do now). Anyway, when Market 3 started carrying it I was quite pleased.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I'm on board with the Market 3 love. I used to stop by after work/gym frequently for carryout prepared dinners. They have some delicious prepared items, and "just the basics" for most convenience store items, which is honestly fine for a small city market bodega-like place.

Totally agree with Loftguy that the city would be made immeasurably better with 10x this kind of place scattered along various street corners.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I had a chance to stop at the Downtown Des Moines yesterday and I was really impressed. Tons of hot food item selection in a buffet station setup you weigh by the pound or you can get prepared food at a taco station, sushi/hibachi station, deli, salad bar, italian, chinese, and an amazing looking bakery/dessert area. They also had a good liquor selection with a growler/crowler filling station. They also had good grocery selection but the main focus is grab and go, liquor, and even aisles of pharmacy/toiletry items. Its like the opposite of our downtown grocery store which seems to have just overpriced groceries and a salad bar. I am pretty sure this store is much bigger than our downtown grocery store but if Consentinos fails I really hope Hy-Vee steps in to fill it.

I could really see them opening these in other places like Downtown Omaha
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sounds like a convenience store....please do not replace our actual grocery store (they many of us use exclusively) with that.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Are they opening one in KC?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

loftguy wrote:Get ready.

http://www.themerc.coop/
That's a little cryptic - is The Merc opening downtown?

While I'm thankful for having a downtown grocery and think Cosentino's hits many of the marks, I can't help but think it's a little underwhelming after visiting downtown grocery stores in Salt Lake City, Austin, Des Moines and even StL.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCPowercat wrote:Sounds like a convenience store....please do not replace our actual grocery store (they many of us use exclusively) with that.
Its definitely not a convenience store, it has about the same amount of aisles of grocery as consetinos but a huge part is grab/go, hot food, similar to a whole foods but just many different stations
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

It’s been said before on other threads that Kansas scott needs a bodega. While another grocery store would be great, adding three or four bodegas from River Market to Crown center would add a lot IMO.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Sounds like a convenience store....please do not replace our actual grocery store (they many of us use exclusively) with that.
Its definitely not a convenience store, it has about the same amount of aisles of grocery as consetinos but a huge part is grab/go, hot food, similar to a whole foods but just many different stations
Cosentinos has a line of hot food....we have plenty of restaurants not sure I care to have the grocery also be a buffet.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

loftguy wrote:Get ready.

http://www.themerc.coop/
Looks like this is headed to downtown KCK https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/kc ... cery-store

Probably the last type of store I would imagine doing well in downtown KCK, but apparently they are prepared to cater to a different clientele and price point than they do with the Lawrence store. I'll give them a shot.