OFFICIAL - Crossroads Westside

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

OFFICIAL - Crossroads Westside

Post by KCDowntown »

Here is another unknown project entitled Crossroads West that had a rezoning permit come through. This is the 3rd permit that I mentioned in one of the new Quality Hill project threads yesterday.

This one rezones 3 parcels between I-35, Broadway/West Pennway & the railroad tracks as residential, shown here. Here is a streetview of the area.

This project also appears to be undertaken by the same Indianapolis company associated with the Summit on Quality Hill & Apex on Quality Hill projects, Cityscape Residential. Here is a link to some of Cityscape Residential's current work.

Permit

KCDowntown

Downtown Development Map
smh
Supporter

Re: Crossroads West

Post by smh »

KCDowntown wrote:Here is another unknown project entitled Crossroads West that had a rezoning permit come through. This is the 3rd permit that I mentioned in one of the new Quality Hill project threads yesterday.

This one rezones 3 parcels between I-35, Broadway/West Pennway & the railroad tracks as residential, shown here. Here is a streetview of the area.

This project also appears to be undertaken by the same Indianapolis company associated with the Summit on Quality Hill & Apex on Quality Hill projects, Cityscape Residential. Here is a link to some of Cityscape Residential's current work.

Permit

KCDowntown

Downtown Development Map

Interesting. Those parcels are all zoned B4-2, allowing for higher intensity uses. I wonder why a rezoning is necessary?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I can't tell what they're trying to do from the permit but my guess is they want higher density residential if mixed or to move to a downtown zoning

B4 = Heavy Business/Commercial 4- 88-120-01
-2 is the residential density allowed in mixed use- 88-120-04-B
B4, Heavy Business/Commercial 4
The primary purpose of the B4, Heavy Business/Commercial district is to accommodate "heavier" commercial activities and a limited range of industrial uses with operating characteristics that make them generally incompatible with mixed-use or neighborhood-oriented environments
the dash number basically controls the density of the residential in mixed use. like -2 requres 750 sq ft of lot for every residential unit. a -3 would almost halve that.
the key points are maximum height, floor area to lot size ratio (higher means more floors for a skinny lot)
the percentage required to be given to commercial uses
I've also seen elsewhere determines how many parking spots are needed per sq ft

a residential district has open space requirements and isn't appropriate, it's more suburban

a DR-3 or -5 seems like a logical change.

88-130-02-D. DR, Downtown Residential
The DR, Downtown Residential district is primarily intended to accommodate residential development and small-scale commercial uses on lower floors, with residential units above.
I could see DX working too
The DX, Downtown Mixed-Use district is primarily intended to accommodate office, commercial, custom manufacturing, public, institutional, and residential development, generally at lower intensities than in the DC district. The DX district promotes a mix of land uses both horizontally (i.e., adjacent to one another) and vertically (i.e., within the same building).
kcmidtowner
Can't Start New Threads
Can't Start New Threads

Post by kcmidtowner »

Sitting at home with a sick, sleeping baby this morning gave me the time to create this map of all the parcels in question for all three of the permits.

Here's the link (editable): https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... pT3QHL1JI8

These may not be perfect, but I think they are close. Takeaway: All of these parcels (Quality Hill and W. Crossroads) are adjacent or very near medium density residential or mixed use. Lots of potential here for expanding some nice walkable, urban neighborhoods.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kcmidtowner wrote:Sitting at home with a sick, sleeping baby this morning gave me the time to create this map of all the parcels in question for all three of the permits.

Here's the link (editable): https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... pT3QHL1JI8

These may not be perfect, but I think they are close. Takeaway: All of these parcels (Quality Hill and W. Crossroads) are adjacent or very near medium density residential or mixed use. Lots of potential here for expanding some nice walkable, urban neighborhoods.
Could imagine some nice infill residential on the parcel that borders Case Park. I imagine that would lead to significant improvements in the quality of that park.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

All this development is exciting.

Can't help but feel a little jealous! I've thought about these sites in the past, they all seem so obvious for development. If only I had the capitol to get a project moving. Good thing is, KC has a million sites like these. More work to be done!!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

oh, i think i know of this project. it's to redevelop the old jones store warehouse, right?

they should rezone to DX-15, which removes the parking minimums and is crossroads specific.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If I were a developer with the capital, I would put residential towers, with balconies, at the Quality Hill Case Park site, and the 12th and Pennsylvania parcels. Both sites are large enough to construct big underground parking garages, and place fairly tall, dense apartment towers on top. I think I'd also line the street-level with townhouses with separate entrances. Both sites would provide residents with great views of the city.

This would provide additional units inside the Loop without having to demolish other buildings, or worry about finding space for parking. Hopefully enough parking would be available to rent out so that the two parking lots that HNTB owns south of 12th street could be repurposed for development.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

the crossroads project seems like anything could go on it. perfect location

I do wonder about quality hill. how much weight and work does the geography allow at these sites?

look at how things are built today, all the towers are set back from the edge and everything right at it is closer to 3-5 stories or has their bottom foundation at level ground like the garage at 7th/Pennslyvania

look at HNTB. they put parking lots on the dropoff edges and their building further back and their tallest structure, the garage, on the side that is furthest away from the bluff

the case park lot is a street width away from the drop off. how much weight can you put in before a chunk of rock cleaves off? there's a reason there's retaining walls along I-35 today

I bet we'll see low rises next to the park like Market Station and the Penn site is basically built like a wedge, with more Quality Hill Condos next to the highway and more Quality Hill Towers as you go to the NE.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

According to the permits, this project and the 2 Quality Hill projects are slated to go in front of the City Plan Commission on April 21. So we should find out more info the week before when they release the docket for that meeting.

KCDowntown

Downtown Development Map
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

FangKC wrote:If I were a developer with the capital, I would put residential towers, with balconies, at the Quality Hill Case Park site, and the 12th and Pennsylvania parcels. Both sites are large enough to construct big underground parking garages, and place fairly tall, dense apartment towers on top. I think I'd also line the street-level with townhouses with separate entrances. Both sites would provide residents with great views of the city.

This would provide additional units inside the Loop without having to demolish other buildings, or worry about finding space for parking. Hopefully enough parking would be available to rent out so that the two parking lots that HNTB owns south of 12th street could be repurposed for development.
Man I like how you think. Might as well go big! These parcels are completely blank slates and could easily hold tall buildings. Your thought of having high rise residential wrapped in townhomes for these blocks is a great one.

Flying Ember though, you bring up an interesting point. Not sure the geographic limitations concerning the cliff. I would think these lots would be fine for high rises, at least in the short term. Now I don't know what the land would look like 100 years from now. No doubt they would make sure the base of the buildings went deep.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

500+ residential units is the plan at this point.
jxsmith
Surface Lot

Post by jxsmith »

DaveKCMO wrote:500+ residential units is the plan at this point.
Is that split between all four parcels? Do you know if there will be any mixed use as part of this?
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

DaveKCMO wrote:500+ residential units is the plan at this point.
Wow this just made all this talk way more interesting. Do you have any more information for us Dave, or must we be kept on the edge of our seats? :D

Even if this is a split between Quality Hill, that is a lot of residential units. This could be a compact development. Now if we are talking 500+ just for this site, then hot damn! Didn't expect a high-rise in this location, but that would be awesome.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

a few pics of the site from west pennway:

building included are the large brick warehouse that abuts I-35 and the smaller white one. the parcel goes all the way south to the terminal railway and east under west pennway (including the billboard, but not the two low-rise buildings or fenced parking lot in the foreground).
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

^ hopefully there is not another “perpetual” visual easement protecting that billboard
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Interesting this and the QH project have went unnoticed by media. Good pickup!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:Interesting this and the QH project have went unnoticed by media. Good pickup!

So far, isn't our only knowledge of these projects from what was gleaned from the KIVA filings? I expect we'll be hearing more about them very soon.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

- 273 market rate units ($1.50/sq ft rents)
- structured and surface parking (including under West Pennway) with bike parking, one space per bedroom
- 50% one bedrooms, 50% two bedrooms
- will not condemn billboards
- parcels not yet purchased (arvest bank current owner)
- will seek tax abatement
- developer claims they will maintain pigeon abatement system under I-35 viaduct (supposed to be MoDOT/city responsibility) and contribute to triangle park plan (already designed with PIAC funding)
- main "people" entrance will be on cesar chavez, but vehicle access to parking garage will be via washington, 22nd, and 24th streets
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

smh wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Interesting this and the QH project have went unnoticed by media. Good pickup!

So far, isn't our only knowledge of these projects from what was gleaned from the KIVA filings? I expect we'll be hearing more about them very soon.
Right. I would think development reporters would be doing the same.