OFFICIAL - Courtyard/Residence Inn Marriott (16th & Baltimore)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Crossroads Hotel

Post by GRID »

The city better pass this and not let Sporting innovations kill this project. Crossroads desperately needs infill like this (especially without subsidies) and I can't believe sporting would oppose it for any reason, selfish or not.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/12/11/46 ... llion.html
Chartwell Hospitality plans to break ground in March on a $46 million hotel and garage that will occupy much of the block northeast of 16th Street and Baltimore Avenue. The 10-story building will jointly house a 104-room Residence Inn and a 153-room Courtyard Marriott.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The only objection to the hotel, which would open in late 2015, was by its next door neighbor to the north, Sporting Innovations, which occupies the newly-renovated former Hanna Rubber Co. building at 1511 Baltimore. The firm objected the Chartwell hotel project will be separated from its six-story building by eight feet.

But Council members dismissed that objection, noting that zoning in the downtown area allows and even encourages buildings to be erected in close proximity.

“To believe you’ll have nothing adjacent in downtown is wishful thinking,” said Councilman Scott Wagner. “It’s a good project, there’s no other way to put it.
=D>
Last edited by kboish on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

yup, sometimes we get things right. neighborhood was supportive, too.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

there is one sad thing. anyone notice how in the rendering in the article that the building has parking on three sides. and to build this they have to tear out a building.

granted, the building was never going to have anything substantial in it again. but this shows just how much someone being willing to sell can determine where a project goes.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Sucks about the building, but this development is worth it, imo. Is the parking situation a sure thing or just what shows up on google earth right now? It appeared that the rendering was made in google earth, so maybe the parking was just left "as is". Wishful thinking I suppose.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

While this development is great, it is too bad it isn't being built directly across the street (on the nw corner of 16th & Baltimore). Is there a reason this parking lot and grassy area has never been developed? That cliff has always looked out of place. Seems like it would be the perfect location.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Nice project!
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Great idea, glad something's going in there, but the design isn't doing much for me. The plan and elevation were out on Twitter last week, and they're not too exciting. There are a couple of design elements that are restrained to the point of being halfhearted. But, like Pash, I'll wait for the thing to be more fleshed out. Hopefully the materials go more toward brick and less stucco or EIFS. It's going to be visible for miles from the south and east.

Project architects:
http://www.bngarchitects.com/
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Parking on 3 sides? I only see parking on 1 side. Unless you are counting the vacant lots across the streets.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

moderne wrote:Parking on 3 sides? I only see parking on 1 side. Unless you are counting the vacant lots across the streets.
downtown across the street effectively counts as parking on one side. One could argue that point in the suburbs, but not downtown.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

It's encouraging to see the Council demand street-level retail in a portion of the garage instead of settling for dead space at the pedestrian level.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

flyingember wrote:
moderne wrote:Parking on 3 sides? I only see parking on 1 side. Unless you are counting the vacant lots across the streets.
downtown across the street effectively counts as parking on one side. One could argue that point in the suburbs, but not downtown.
What the hell are you talking about? Unless those "across the street" lots are part of the hotel plan, we can't really clamor for a better design, now can we?
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

flyingember wrote:
So you're upset that there's a parking lot across the street on property not owned by the hotel. How in the world is that a problem with the hotel? Given the current state of the Crossroads, there will always be a parking lot across the street.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

upset? no. it's an opportunity.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I think embers point is that the project had to tear down an existing building to get completed while three lots with no land surround the development. It's a shame it wasn't able to go on a completely empty parcel, but you can only buy/build where someone is willing to sell. He wasn't referring to the parking being provided by the hotel.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Is there a rendering for the project yet?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

beautyfromashes wrote:Is there a rendering for the project yet?
In the Star article.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Nothing closer up? Surely the board didn't make a decision from a 2 mile away mock up.