OFFICIAL - Courtyard/Residence Inn Marriott (16th & Baltimore)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: 16th & Baltimore Hotel

Post by droopy »

FangKC wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... mplex.html
Strenth said Crossland is also kicking off work on a four-story, 72,000-square-foot, 156-space parking garage in the southeast corner of the lot located between Main Street and Baltimore Avenue.
I'm interesting in learning more about the 4-story parking garage on the SE corner of 16th and Baltimore--that is mentioned in the article. That parcel is owned by Walnut Creek Ranch LLC, which is Shirley Helzberg's real estate holding company.

http://maps.kcmo.org/apps/parcelviewer/ ... 1065897.05

Google Maps aerial of parcel:

http://tinyurl.com/npnyl66

Me too, but when I re-read it a couple times I believe it is the SE corner of the BLOCK (1524 Main) rather than the surface lot across 18th St next to Anton's. I think they are referring to the area next to the Lane building in Longview's pic, behind the hotel which they own on parcel viewer:

longviewmo wrote:Here it is last weekend:

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

droopy wrote:I think they are referring to the area next to the Lane building in Longview's pic, behind the hotel which they own on parcel viewer:
longviewmo wrote:Here it is last weekend:

you are correct.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Yeah, that's could be worded clearer.
Strenth said Crossland is also kicking off work on a four-story, 72,000-square-foot, 156-space parking garage in the southeast corner of the lot located between Main Street and Baltimore Avenue.
ould cbe more like
Strenth said Crossland is also kicking off work on a four-story, 72,000-square-foot, 156-space parking garage next to the hotel, at the northwest corner of 16th and Main
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

Garage? I don't recall the mention of a garage across from SportingKC/Hotel to be built...
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

The garage/retail spaces are in the building to the east (fronting Main Street) of the hotel tower.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

some pics taken from my walkthrough today: https://www.facebook.com/kccrossroads/p ... 2695743973
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The east side has windows in up to the 4th floor.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Looks like they're trying to beat winter on the exterior insulation
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Updated renderings of this project:
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

Those renderings are very entertaining. The Humvee in the last picture is my favorite design choice they made.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I'd like to set up a petition to get any city funds for this hotel removed.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:I'd like to set up a petition to get any city funds for this hotel removed.
I assume you're being sarcastic, since we know they didn't take any.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The new hotel building design does have three contrasts in the color of brick and stone (stucco?) used on the facade. There are also variations in the brick patterns. There are variations in the facade using idents that break up the surface of the facade. The garage portion uses a canopy over the street on Main, to separate the retail visually from the garage as seen from the sidewalk. Even the garage itself has four different color palettes used to provide some contrast--instead of just a monolithic design scheme over seen in many garages. My point is that the design could be much worse. At least the architects attempted to take a fairly simple building and insert some visual contrasts. They do a pretty good job in massing on both the Baltimore and Main sides. Again, we could easily have gotten a monochromatic design using one color of brick, and a square box of a building with no variation in the facade surface.

The parking garage is actually better looking than Shirley Helzberg's garage at 17th and Wyandotte, and the Helzberg garage won a freaking Cornerstone Award. :roll:

I will be interested to see how they might light the building at night.

I'm not a big fan of the driveway entrance on Baltimore. I think it's unnecessary, since The President, Phillips, Marriott-Muehlebach tower, Aladdin, and Ambassador hotels seem to function alright without one. I think this hotel could have gotten by with a curbside no-parking loading zone set aside for hotel guests to arrive at the hotel.

This building is actually better looking than the hideous Marriott on 12th Street, and the Crowne Plaza hotel on Baltimore.

There are other hotels in our past history that were much worse looking than the new Residence Inn/Courtyard hotel.

Former Muehlebach Tower annex on the SE corner of 12th and Wyandotte.

KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

Very happy/pleased with this. Guess i could of been happier if I was asked to design it myself. Please, I know it's not perfect but, lets take time to remember downtown KC before Mayor Barnes. Cue the 9 empty blocks of surface parking!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

The way they set back the building was very considerate to the Sporting KC building. Seriously, that was a good move
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

The webcam suddenly is asking for a name, password to log in. anybody know what's up?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Can't believe you guys are happy with the garage along Main Street.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Can't believe you guys are happy with the garage along Main Street.
No incentives and they put retail along Main.

Not great, could be way worse
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

From the picture it didn't look like retail. Just looked like a portion of the floor was below grade.