OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Post by DaveKCMO »

It will be additional retail/office if they can find a tenant (or financing for spec).
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I also heard the developers were considering residential for that "phase 2" building, weighing their options I guess. My prediction: surface lot for years because Copaken.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Copaken is just part of the Corrigan team, unlike many of their other developments downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd predict a bank *ducks*
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCLofts wrote:The food is pretty good. There is an Asian influence to most of the dishes. Prices for the small plates are around $8-$25. There are two bigger plates - a black cod for $40 and a Wagyu ribeye for $65, IIRC.

Corvino does have a bar menu. I think it is available after 10pm. My wife says the hamburger is great (especially if your small plates didn't fill you up), and only $8.

The space is cool, as you would expect from Hufft. Lots of concrete and black. It is very open and pretty loud.
I still would like to try this place out but the reviews have been less than stellar on trip adviser (they were dismal at first and are improving a bit). Biggest complaints seem to be high price/small plates. Lots of complaints about the noise too but that would indicate its a busy popular place.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... souri.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's very good. It's not good for people that like food pound per dollar.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCPowercat wrote:It's very good. It's not good for people that like food pound per dollar.
I can second this. The vibe is really nice with the live music. I had a really nice meal and experience, but we racked up a bill with the multiple plates and multiple glasses of wine.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

After 10 bar menu is a good deal.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

does anyone have any idea of when phase II of this project is supposed to break ground?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

mister816 wrote:does anyone have any idea of when phase II of this project is supposed to break ground?
I just heard from someone involved with the project last evening. It will be starting soon, but will be one floor shorter than the rendering shows (two stories, I think they mentioned a rooftop space as well)...I think the look may have changed again too. First floor will be a bank (I didn't think to ask if that meant a drive-thru), office use above that. That's all I got. I'm guessing the drawing set will show up on the city's development tracker before too long.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm dumbfounded by the bank influx
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

they may plan a drive-thru bank, but they won't get one. it's a special use permit for that zoning code (DX-15). they got the same chilly reception when a previous drive-thru plan was floated for that spot (and guess what? they ended up there anyway without a drive-thru).

two of the most recent bank branches in the crossroads have opened without drive-thrus (mazuma, enterprise) and have walk-up ATMs. the ones that do have drive-thrus are rarely used (UMB, mobank, lead, CCCU). lead also has a walk-up ATM.

in short, drive-thru banking is dead.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:they may plan a drive-thru bank, but they won't get one. it's a special use permit for that zoning code (DX-15). they got the same chilly reception when a previous drive-thru plan was floated for that spot (and guess what? they ended up there anyway without a drive-thru).

two of the most recent bank branches in the crossroads have opened without drive-thrus (mazuma, enterprise) and have walk-up ATMs. the ones that do have drive-thrus are rarely used (UMB, mobank, lead, CCCU). lead also has a walk-up ATM.

in short, drive-thru banking is dead.
Drive up banking will only become more popular. It won't be teller based, it will be 24x7 terminals where the pneumatic tubes are today.

Walk into a Community America that's been converted. They one near me used to have one ATM, three stations and a small office and now has three ATMs and two offices and one part time station. Their hours dramatically grew with the ATMs, can deposit when they're closed.

This just hasn't hit the banks that operate downtown yet. Some may be walk up only but anyone with a drive thru will extend the life of the system this way.

A 5 minute parking spot on the street right outside their ATM machine could be a good tradeoff.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ Cash is close to obsolete. Shouldn't be a need for an ATM. Even checks will be gone fairly quickly. All digital.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

People always under estimate how long it takes to do away with something.
Our physical environment will have bank drive thrus for some time.
The long tail idea says if the cost is low enough to serve a market someone will. In the digital and technological era it's way easier to serve these customers at a low cost.

With a low operational cost you can install ATMs and maintain them indefinitely. For example, Vodaphone UK will shut down their pager network in 2017.

Even if 90% of people go digital payments only, the last 10% will take longer to switch than to get to 90%. And banks will maintain ATMs to serve these customers because they don't cost as much.

The pay phone is probably the best example of what to expect, and you can still find them around.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Like building a huge printing plant 15 years ago when printed papers were seeing subscriptions start to drop? I'm sure we will have ATMs for decades. Old people still use them. But, DT is more young than the suburbs and I see demand for ATMs gone in a decade.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

KCPowercat wrote:I'm dumbfounded by the bank influx
Downtown's surprising lacking in bank branches compared to the burbs. Just off the top of my head banks missing from downtown: Wells Fargo, Capitol Federal, Security Bank, 1st National, Bank of Blue Valley...you get the picture.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm also surprised about this new stretch of banks along Main.
horizons82 wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:I'm dumbfounded by the bank influx
Downtown's surprising lacking in bank branches compared to the burbs. Just off the top of my head banks missing from downtown: Wells Fargo, Capitol Federal, Security Bank, 1st National, Bank of Blue Valley...you get the picture.
Some of those banks are probably not licensed in Missouri. I don't think Wells Fargo operates in Missouri.

I was told by someone who used to work in local banking that the reason there are so few competing banks downtown is because the Kemper banking cartel has made efforts to discourage it. The Kempers bought up many of the former bank buildings downtown as soon as a bank closed, and tore down the building. They went after the little bank buildings and the bigger ones. They also controlled many of the choice vacant parcels.

I was surprised that some bank didn't buy the former Federal Reserve Bank building when it became vacant. It would have been a quick way to claim a stake downtown.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

beautyfromashes wrote:^ Cash is close to obsolete. Shouldn't be a need for an ATM. Even checks will be gone fairly quickly. All digital.
When the apocalypse comes, cash will be king.