OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Post by flyingember »

taxi wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:^ Cash is close to obsolete. Shouldn't be a need for an ATM. Even checks will be gone fairly quickly. All digital.
When the apocalypse comes, cash will be king.
Stores of guns and ammunition safely protected will be king.

On this topic the Corrigan building would be horrible in the apocalypse. The glass will break easily and let "thugs" (the Westport variety) into the building.

One wants to own a mid century brutalist design with few windows and small ones where they do exist.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Let's just ask for everything to look like that, that way potential citizens know that we mean business. And that we are eagerly awaiting the apocalypse!! (S)
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

flyingember wrote:
taxi wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:^ Cash is close to obsolete. Shouldn't be a need for an ATM. Even checks will be gone fairly quickly. All digital.
When the apocalypse comes, cash will be king.
Stores of guns and ammunition safely protected will be king.

On this topic the Corrigan building would be horrible in the apocalypse. The glass will break easily and let "thugs" (the Westport variety) into the building.

One wants to own a mid century brutalist design with few windows and small ones where they do exist.
What a fantastic comment.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Why would they build a two story building in that location? At least put a few floors of residential on top the office.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

flyingember wrote:Stores of guns and ammunition safely protected will be king. On this topic the Corrigan building would be horrible in the apocalypse. The glass will break easily and let "thugs" (the Westport variety) into the building. One wants to own a mid century brutalist design with few windows and small ones where they do exist.
Your Federal and state Govts understand perfectly and has been on that for 40+ years!
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

Looks like WeWork is open! Excited to see several new. Startups in the area.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I'm in the WeWork space. They did a nice job with it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm too old school I guess. Who uses so much for working space? WFH people? Consultants?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Lots of 1-4 person companies. Lots of startups. Lots of people looking for networking and growth opportunities. I've met videographers, Software as a service companies, lawyers and random startups.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cool.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:I'm too old school I guess. Who uses so much for working space? WFH people? Consultants?
The older term was office suites. Part of Lighton Plaza in OP is this style where a floor is just rows of small offices with doors that can lock.

The relevant concept for why it works is called the long tail.

This is fake numbers but shows the points. If 100,000 songs are made each year you have a top 100 that represents most sales. If the top 100 songs have an average of 1 million sales that's 100 million sold. Let's say the next 10,000 songs sell 10,000 copies each on average. That's also 100,000,000 in sales. You hit a point the market is too small relative to cost but it shows that if a product is targeted right someone can make as much money targeting smaller opportunities.

So when looking at businesses the tail provides the same view. In terms of numbers the small business market easily contains as many people as all the large businesses combined. think of how many small insurance offices there are alone.

The core idea directly relates to technology, that technology allows companies to target markets too small to otherwise through innovative products. That's effectively what coworking is, it's finding an office design model that works to share space and allow a small business to work in an environment they couldn't afford to otherwise.

Go beyond the industries described, MOST businesses will be the size this kind of environment works for them. it's just that most likely don't have an office today. A huge part of this market likely has a home office and works out of their car. How many handymen have an office today?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not helpful.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:Not helpful.
something governing the vast majority of our economy isn't helpful?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Critical_Mass wrote:
mister816 wrote:does anyone have any idea of when phase II of this project is supposed to break ground?
I just heard from someone involved with the project last evening. It will be starting soon, but will be one floor shorter than the rendering shows (two stories, I think they mentioned a rooftop space as well)...I think the look may have changed again too. First floor will be a bank (I didn't think to ask if that meant a drive-thru), office use above that. That's all I got. I'm guessing the drawing set will show up on the city's development tracker before too long.
Drawing set for Phase 2 is on the development tracker.
http://maps.kcmo.org/kcgis/rest/service ... ents/19847
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Critical_Mass wrote:
Critical_Mass wrote:
mister816 wrote:does anyone have any idea of when phase II of this project is supposed to break ground?
I just heard from someone involved with the project last evening. It will be starting soon, but will be one floor shorter than the rendering shows (two stories, I think they mentioned a rooftop space as well)...I think the look may have changed again too. First floor will be a bank (I didn't think to ask if that meant a drive-thru), office use above that. That's all I got. I'm guessing the drawing set will show up on the city's development tracker before too long.

Drawing set for Phase 2 is on the development tracker.
http://maps.kcmo.org/kcgis/rest/service ... ents/19847
Do I spot a drive way on main street? Overall seems like a pretty ugly design and a waste of space escpeciallg considering how much demand there is to live/work/stay at such a prime location
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just came here to say the same about the main street curb cut.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

The existing curb-cut on Main remains to access a small covered parking area. I'm not arguing that it is needed, but I think that 'feature' has been evident in every version of renderings that we've seen, so it shouldn't be a surprise.
I'm guessing the building height reflects the owner's desire to not block his existing tenant's views.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:Just came here to say the same about the main street curb cut.
not much you can do since they already have that curb cut (other than lobby city planning and CPC again).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Seems like it could easily been designed for 19th or even "shock" the alley!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:Seems like it could easily been designed for 19th or even "shock" the alley!
which is why we oppose vacation of alleys!