OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27673
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby KCPowercat » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:41 am

I'd predict a bank *ducks*

User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 8838
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby Highlander » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:14 pm

KCLofts wrote:The food is pretty good. There is an Asian influence to most of the dishes. Prices for the small plates are around $8-$25. There are two bigger plates - a black cod for $40 and a Wagyu ribeye for $65, IIRC.

Corvino does have a bar menu. I think it is available after 10pm. My wife says the hamburger is great (especially if your small plates didn't fill you up), and only $8.

The space is cool, as you would expect from Hufft. Lots of concrete and black. It is very open and pretty loud.


I still would like to try this place out but the reviews have been less than stellar on trip adviser (they were dismal at first and are improving a bit). Biggest complaints seem to be high price/small plates. Lots of complaints about the noise too but that would indicate its a busy popular place.


https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... souri.html

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27673
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby KCPowercat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:20 pm

It's very good. It's not good for people that like food pound per dollar.

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3735
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:19 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby bobbyhawks » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:04 pm

KCPowercat wrote:It's very good. It's not good for people that like food pound per dollar.

I can second this. The vibe is really nice with the live music. I had a really nice meal and experience, but we racked up a bill with the multiple plates and multiple glasses of wine.

User avatar
taxi
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:32 am
Location: North End
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby taxi » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:45 pm

After 10 bar menu is a good deal.

User avatar
mister816
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 627
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:18 am
Location: Downtown

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby mister816 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:51 pm

does anyone have any idea of when phase II of this project is supposed to break ground?

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3801
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:47 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby pash » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:19 pm

.
Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Critical_Mass
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Crossroads

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby Critical_Mass » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:16 am

mister816 wrote:does anyone have any idea of when phase II of this project is supposed to break ground?


I just heard from someone involved with the project last evening. It will be starting soon, but will be one floor shorter than the rendering shows (two stories, I think they mentioned a rooftop space as well)...I think the look may have changed again too. First floor will be a bank (I didn't think to ask if that meant a drive-thru), office use above that. That's all I got. I'm guessing the drawing set will show up on the city's development tracker before too long.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 27673
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby KCPowercat » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:00 pm

I'm dumbfounded by the bank influx

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 15641
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby DaveKCMO » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:49 pm

they may plan a drive-thru bank, but they won't get one. it's a special use permit for that zoning code (DX-15). they got the same chilly reception when a previous drive-thru plan was floated for that spot (and guess what? they ended up there anyway without a drive-thru).

two of the most recent bank branches in the crossroads have opened without drive-thrus (mazuma, enterprise) and have walk-up ATMs. the ones that do have drive-thrus are rarely used (UMB, mobank, lead, CCCU). lead also has a walk-up ATM.

in short, drive-thru banking is dead.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6004
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby flyingember » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:12 pm

DaveKCMO wrote:they may plan a drive-thru bank, but they won't get one. it's a special use permit for that zoning code (DX-15). they got the same chilly reception when a previous drive-thru plan was floated for that spot (and guess what? they ended up there anyway without a drive-thru).

two of the most recent bank branches in the crossroads have opened without drive-thrus (mazuma, enterprise) and have walk-up ATMs. the ones that do have drive-thrus are rarely used (UMB, mobank, lead, CCCU). lead also has a walk-up ATM.

in short, drive-thru banking is dead.


Drive up banking will only become more popular. It won't be teller based, it will be 24x7 terminals where the pneumatic tubes are today.

Walk into a Community America that's been converted. They one near me used to have one ATM, three stations and a small office and now has three ATMs and two offices and one part time station. Their hours dramatically grew with the ATMs, can deposit when they're closed.

This just hasn't hit the banks that operate downtown yet. Some may be walk up only but anyone with a drive thru will extend the life of the system this way.

A 5 minute parking spot on the street right outside their ATM machine could be a good tradeoff.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3738
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby beautyfromashes » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:31 pm

^ Cash is close to obsolete. Shouldn't be a need for an ATM. Even checks will be gone fairly quickly. All digital.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6004
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby flyingember » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:03 pm

People always under estimate how long it takes to do away with something.
Our physical environment will have bank drive thrus for some time.
The long tail idea says if the cost is low enough to serve a market someone will. In the digital and technological era it's way easier to serve these customers at a low cost.

With a low operational cost you can install ATMs and maintain them indefinitely. For example, Vodaphone UK will shut down their pager network in 2017.

Even if 90% of people go digital payments only, the last 10% will take longer to switch than to get to 90%. And banks will maintain ATMs to serve these customers because they don't cost as much.

The pay phone is probably the best example of what to expect, and you can still find them around.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3738
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby beautyfromashes » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:30 pm

Like building a huge printing plant 15 years ago when printed papers were seeing subscriptions start to drop? I'm sure we will have ATMs for decades. Old people still use them. But, DT is more young than the suburbs and I see demand for ATMs gone in a decade.

horizons82
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:41 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby horizons82 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:56 pm

KCPowercat wrote:I'm dumbfounded by the bank influx


Downtown's surprising lacking in bank branches compared to the burbs. Just off the top of my head banks missing from downtown: Wells Fargo, Capitol Federal, Security Bank, 1st National, Bank of Blue Valley...you get the picture.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 12203
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby FangKC » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:05 am

I'm also surprised about this new stretch of banks along Main.

horizons82 wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:I'm dumbfounded by the bank influx


Downtown's surprising lacking in bank branches compared to the burbs. Just off the top of my head banks missing from downtown: Wells Fargo, Capitol Federal, Security Bank, 1st National, Bank of Blue Valley...you get the picture.


Some of those banks are probably not licensed in Missouri. I don't think Wells Fargo operates in Missouri.

I was told by someone who used to work in local banking that the reason there are so few competing banks downtown is because the Kemper banking cartel has made efforts to discourage it. The Kempers bought up many of the former bank buildings downtown as soon as a bank closed, and tore down the building. They went after the little bank buildings and the bigger ones. They also controlled many of the choice vacant parcels.

I was surprised that some bank didn't buy the former Federal Reserve Bank building when it became vacant. It would have been a quick way to claim a stake downtown.

User avatar
taxi
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:32 am
Location: North End
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby taxi » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:52 am

beautyfromashes wrote:^ Cash is close to obsolete. Shouldn't be a need for an ATM. Even checks will be gone fairly quickly. All digital.

When the apocalypse comes, cash will be king.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6004
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby flyingember » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:25 am

taxi wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:^ Cash is close to obsolete. Shouldn't be a need for an ATM. Even checks will be gone fairly quickly. All digital.

When the apocalypse comes, cash will be king.

Stores of guns and ammunition safely protected will be king.

On this topic the Corrigan building would be horrible in the apocalypse. The glass will break easily and let "thugs" (the Westport variety) into the building.

One wants to own a mid century brutalist design with few windows and small ones where they do exist.

Riverite
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby Riverite » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:29 am

Let's just ask for everything to look like that, that way potential citizens know that we mean business. And that we are eagerly awaiting the apocalypse!! (S)

jasty5
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:16 pm
Location: Hyde Park, KC

Re: OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Postby jasty5 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:36 am

flyingember wrote:
taxi wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:^ Cash is close to obsolete. Shouldn't be a need for an ATM. Even checks will be gone fairly quickly. All digital.

When the apocalypse comes, cash will be king.

Stores of guns and ammunition safely protected will be king.

On this topic the Corrigan building would be horrible in the apocalypse. The glass will break easily and let "thugs" (the Westport variety) into the building.

One wants to own a mid century brutalist design with few windows and small ones where they do exist.


What a fantastic comment.


Return to “Downtown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests