Xroads James Beard District

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Xroads James Beard District

Post by earthling »

kcjak wrote:I've never been a big fan of Michael Smith or his restaurant (felt more like a retirement home the couple of times I went) and this statement from him in the article pretty much sums it up for me: 'Sometimes you forget you want food to be delicious.'

I hope he finds his mojo again with Farina and I'll certainly give it a try, but a shame the current MS on such a prominent corner on the streetcar line will end up as an event space.
Extra Virgin is still great but agree that original MS restaurant has run its course. Is pretty common for JB caliber chefs to rotate concepts every few years, especially those that can attract investors.

KC needs a better range of decent Italian so should do well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

My guess is it won't stay an empty even space long....seems more like a transition to something else after launching this new place.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Looking forward to the new MS concept, and still enjoy Extra Virgin. Extremely disappointing that the prominent old corner space will be used for "events".

We've gotta be approaching peak "event space" in the xroads, right?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

rxlexi wrote:We've gotta be approaching peak "event space" in the xroads, right?
Yes. Also "peak bank branch".
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm with KCP on this not staying event space for long. And yes, no one tell any banks it's available.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

DaveKCMO wrote:
rxlexi wrote:We've gotta be approaching peak "event space" in the xroads, right?
Yes. Also "peak bank branch".
And "peak co-working space".

Please no more freaking banks! Such a great spot and would hate to see it occupied by a bank.

Building currently owned by McFamily Properties, LLC. Which ties back to this guy at this company. https://www.linkedin.com/in/mcfamily/
mRoyal
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mRoyal »

KCPowercat wrote: Need a dessert /pasty/coffee type restaurant in crossroads. Give people on a date anotjer destination to go after dinner.
Bizz and Weezy?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Bazooka's got the pastys covered!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

mRoyal wrote:
KCPowercat wrote: Need a dessert /pasty/coffee type restaurant in crossroads. Give people on a date anotjer destination to go after dinner.
Bizz and Weezy?
If they added booze it would be closer to what I'm thinking.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Booze and Weezy. Done.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

rxlexi wrote:Looking forward to the new MS concept, and still enjoy Extra Virgin. Extremely disappointing that the prominent old corner space will be used for "events".

We've gotta be approaching peak "event space" in the xroads, right?
Yes, that's very disappointing. I've thought that block or two on Main had one of the most urbane feels in all of KC. It's too bad we lose the kind of business the restaurant generated. That said, his new concept Farina sounds pretty interesting, something I will definitely want to try out.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Seven James Beard 2019 finalists from KC and 1 from Lawrence...
https://www.jamesbeard.org/blog/the-201 ... =2019-2-27
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't understand how Howard Hanna and Ryan Brazeal keep getting skipped. Also manifesto for bar program.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:22 pm I don't understand how Howard Hanna and Ryan Brazeal keep getting skipped. Also manifesto for bar program.
The way I understand it, you have to hustle for James Beard. Howard and Ryan have garnered attention in the past, but perhaps have tired of that hustle. They're both doing quite well and may not crave the repeated recognition.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Megan Garrelts, who's been a semifinalist multiple times, made the list this year in the Outstanding Pastry Chef category for her work at Rye in Leawood. Garrelts co-owns the restaurant with her husband, Colby Garrelts, a past James Beard Award-winner.

Four other Kansas City-area chefs were selected as semifinalists in the Best Chef: Midwest category.
Michael Corvino, Corvino Supper Club & Tasting Room, Kansas City
Linda Duerr, The Restaurant at 1900, Mission Woods
Nicholas Goellner, The Antler Room, Kansas City
Vaughn Good, Fox and Pearl, Kansas City
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -good.html
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I'm finally trying 1900 this evening - really looking forward to it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WSPanic wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:09 pm I'm finally trying 1900 this evening - really looking forward to it.
Want to hear your thoughts!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I wasn't blown away, to be honest - but everything was really good. Didn't really think anything was great. I had the beef tartare app and pork ragu pasta. Both were good - the pasta was really good - could've been a slightly meatier ragu, but was delicious. Took my mom and she really isn't an adventurous eater - she had their entree grilled cheese. It was fine I would say Westside Local does it better. Likewise, the tartare I've had at Cafe Provence and Le Fou were much better than this one. The Pot de Creme dessert was good - not great.

It's an odd location, but that building is actually quite nice. The inside is grey/fine dining (kind of reminded me of Michael Smiths) with some pretty cool artwork. And the service was really good. They don't take reservations during their happy hour, so we bit the bullet and made early reservations at 530. By the time we left a bit after 7 or 715, the place was packed (on a Wednesday night).

I'd definitely recommend trying it out. We had the two entrees, an app, two cocktails (total) and a dessert for $100. Not crazy expensive.