OFFICIAL - ARTerra (21st and Wyandotte)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - ARTerra (21st and Wyandotte)

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Yeah a little disappointed. I was thinking more of a darker brown, sort of like the Brookfield (Hotel Indigo) building. I definitely think a darker color would have contrasted better with the stainless steel, similar to the rendering. Can they paint the brick? &&&
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Critical_Mass wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:29 am You can see the underside of the balcony structure.
I appreciate this articulation regarding the articulation. I knew there was something off but I couldn't put my finger on it. You're exactly right that the open balcony structure (along with the different railing) creates an unfinished look.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

smh wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:47 am
Critical_Mass wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:29 am You can see the underside of the balcony structure.
I appreciate this articulation regarding the articulation. I knew there was something off but I couldn't put my finger on it. You're exactly right that the open balcony structure (along with the different railing) creates an unfinished look.
I have no idea about this, but isn't it entirely possible that the bottoms of these balconies are still going to be covered up?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

They certainly hit the exact mark on the Liberty Memorial-Kauffman Center view shed. From either point the other appears to sit on the roof of ARTerra.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

grovester wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:26 am I think it will be fine, though I agree the renderings were a bit misleading, but aren't they usually? It is marketing after all.

Who can we trust anymore? Can't trust the news, can't trust the weather people, now we can't trust the architects...
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:44 pm Image
I think it looks good. The tan color is odd but it's not that bad. When all of the balconies go in and whatever smaller features are planned, I think this will look even better. So far, there are 13 more balconies that have to be added on this side of the photo BUT that's before the remaining scaffolding comes down. The amount left is probably somewhere around 30 balconies that still need to be added (with the 13 I mentioned a sentence ago).
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Very Denver.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Everyone is complaining about the tan brick. If you don’t like it, walk around to the south end. It’s dark gray cladding.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I like the purple streak. They should put a strip of purple terracotta tile there to cover that purple insulation. Some color in that neighborhood would be nice.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Hot take: I like the tan brick.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I think this building looks great and fits in with the area. And yeah, leave the purple streak!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I also love the tan brick. It has a nice feel at ground level, too.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It's a different color than all the other buildings around giving the area some variety. It's nice that they're not trying to make the building look fake old.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

More Chicago, less Vancouver. This kind of variety brings us toward that goal. Good lesson for Cordish here.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Variety good but wouldn't exactly call this complementary. Sticks out like sore thumb. Though not a fan of tan in general, and it doesn't age well. That is, darker tones have a better 'distressed' look over time than tan, which looks dirty in not a good way.
Last edited by earthling on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

This building is really coming together. I also love the tan brick; reminds me of Milwaukee - Cream City!

It's solid, industrial and modern at once. Different but fits into the area well, IMO.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I also like the contrast compared to surrounding buildings. Chicago and Detroit are full of older tan-colored brick houses and buildings. In fact, it seems there are more tan-colored buildings in Detroit than red-colored brick.

This conversation reminded me of one I had years ago outside the downtown library at 12th and McGee. A woman asked me for directions, and we started talking. She was staying in Kansas City, but was originally from Hawaii. I asked about her impression of Kansas City. She said she loved all the old red-colored brick buildings, since they didn't have any of those in Hawaii.
Last edited by FangKC on Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

It's hard to discern, but it appears to me that it's only brick for the first 2-4 floors, then it's EIFS or a panel system above. Not necesarily a bad VE choice, but interesting.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Brick all the way up.