OFFICIAL - ARTerra (21st and Wyandotte)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - ARTerra (21st and Wyandotte)

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:57 pm It doesn't seem to look anywhere near the early renderings, which looked slick with two tone charcoal-like dark facade - one of best looking projects downtown. It looks like this might turn into a bland light cinder block and a below avg project in terms of aesthetics. Suppose we should wait til complete.
The early rendering were a night scene.
You know, when there’s no sun shining on it.

it’s not quite perfect to the rendering but it wouldn’t look bright tan at night.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I don't think you can interpret this as a light cinder block facade even at night. It's too bad as a two tone dark charcoal like facade would look sharp, especially in context to the surrounding red brick buildings. A light cinder block facade does not complement the surrounding buildings.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I think it's just a really bad rendering and they always intended it to be light colored.

Ignore the brick, look at the people on the balconies. They're pitch black too.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

look at the ground level, where the light from the signs is shining on the building. it is obviously light tan brick.

that said, i have never understood the purpose of night-time renderings or real estate photographs.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, it looks like light tan brick for streetlevel but not upper floors. All moot now, but unfortunately it's looking like a cinder block in the end.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

earthling wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:51 amAll moot now, but unfortunately it's looking like a cinder block in the end.
Except at night. :)
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chrizow wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:36 am look at the ground level, where the light from the signs is shining on the building. it is obviously light tan brick.

that said, i have never understood the purpose of night-time renderings or real estate photographs.
You generally don't find fancy outside lighting on affordable housing. It's all subtle advertising that this place doesn't have *insert sterotype here*

In this case that's not the case, no spotlights so they're trying to show it looking lived in at night which seems more inviting. You can't fake tell if someone is at home with a daytime rendering. It's why so many building renderings add tons of people around when there will never be that many people at once
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I like it.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

That’s bullshit. In the renderings I was 200’ tall and looking down on this building, but after the bait and switch I’m just 5’9” and looking upwards at it in every view I see. Kansas City sucks.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Chingon, some people just can't handle reality. Counselors are available.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Looks better than I thought it would a few weeks ago when it was still covered in scaffolding. The brick is much lighter than advertised but it's not bad.

Is the ARTerra moniker displayed on the side of the building as the rendering suggests?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Am in the disappointed camp. Would look better with permanent industrio scaffolding as a facade. Turned out as a cinder block with windows. Does not complement the surrounding red brick buildings, sticks out like a sore thumb. This is as obnoxious as white walls with red brick (Daily Nada) but at least it's easier to change the latter.

Was suckered by the sharp looking rendering implying two-toned charcoal look, seemed it could be one of hottest new buildings downtown. Ending up more utilitarian than Two Light. Is time to raise expectations for above average architecture.
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

Looks better than I thought but is still really weak. I’m still in the boat of any new housing project downtown is a win but slowly raising the bar about what we should call acceptable. This project looks a lot different than the renderings.

The goal in my mind is to get DTKCMO’s population to 50k ASAP. That’s the tipping point on subsidies, design, and vanity.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I really like the look. It makes that area not look like a big wall of dark brick.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Am all for complementing contrasts but a utilitarian cinder block 'looks good'?

Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Stop using that word. Cinder blocks, aka CMUs (concrete masonry units) are 8"x16" blocks made with fly ash. They are light grey, the same color as concrete. They are not standard brick size, 2-1/4"x8", as seen on ARTerra. They are not tan colored.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Nah, looks close enough to one single giant cinder block (painted tan) with windows carved in. It looks as if the windows were retrofitted later into the block. Yeah granted, I'm judging before complete. Is just disappointing that the rendering looked well above average (sharp actually) and the outcome looks to be well below avg (bland actually).
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I think it will be fine, though I agree the renderings were a bit misleading, but aren't they usually? It is marketing after all.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Calling it cinder blocks is hyperbole. I get that some may not like the tan colored brick, especially compared to the misleading rendering. I'm more concerned with the cheap looking balconies. The renderings showed solid/wrapped balconies (similar to 1914 Main) with a random pattern of solid sides or front faces (many balconies appeared L-shaped). What was installed is very different. You can see the underside of the balcony structure.