13th and Grand tower

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: new office/retail complex

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Where exactly are they putting this building?

Here is an ariel picture and outline the site:

Last edited by KansasCityCraka on Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I believe this is the location of the proposed building..13th & Grand. 
Attachments
Image1.jpg
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Michael® wrote: Lock your's is closer but doesn't the project also include the old Law Building site (12th & Grand) that was recently demolished? I would think any project would want to cover that unique corner.
The original Star article from August said the Law Building site was not included.  I personally think Copaken threw this plan out there because they were pissed they did not get the Gigi's site they were originally after.

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/i ... pic=6575.0
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Michael® wrote: Image
This is the Commerce site that was rejected.

Lock your's is closer but doesn't the project also include the old Law Building site (12th & Grand) that was recently demolished? I would think any project would want to cover that unique corner.
that's what I thought but with the other rendering posted I thought this one might have been it. So what does the approved plan consist of? As in how many blocks/buildings/square feet.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

this begs the question...is this a real plan or just a "plan" to condemn the wig shop?  I'm thinking the later.  The city should put some barbs in there to make sure something is done with this site.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

exactly... it smells of a "plan" to get land, nothing more.
this is not a new thing for local developers to do.
and its not a new thing for the city to fall for it...
and the public to not take notice.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

OFFICIAL: Copaken Office Building - 13th and Grand

Post by ShowMeKC »

Copaken, White and Blitt have been planning an office tower to go on the NE corner of 13th and Grand. The project is moving forward, and much of the land has been aquired, unfortunately this will remove an area BBQ icon, Danny Edwards Famous KC BBQ, which has recently moved closer to the chopping block of possible use of Eminent Domain.

The project will cost about $200 million and will include 270,000 square feet of office space, and 50,000 square feet of retail space. The project also includes a parking garage that will have 1,300 spaces.

The office building would be about 10 floors and would sit just north of the NABC Hall of Fame.

A search on the KCMO.org map of the parcels shows that the TIF Commission already owns most of the land, save for Danny Edwards Famous KC BBQ.

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-articl ... t_domain-i
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: OFFICIAL: Copaken Office Building - 13th and Grand

Post by Gretz »

Danny should trade them the land for an amount of retail space equivalent to the size of the current building in the new office tower.  The developer could pay rent on any of a number of vacant, nearby, street-level spaces for Danny's during the construction process, and then Danny's could move into the new building upon completion.  That way we could have our BBQ and eat it too.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Gretz wrote: Danny should trade them the land for an amount of retail space equivalent to the size of the current building in the new office tower.  The developer could pay rent on any of a number of vacant, nearby, street-level spaces for Danny's during the construction process, and then Danny's could move into the new building upon completion.  That way we could have our BBQ and eat it too.
You have to wonder why this type of solution isn't utilized more often?  Probably because the developer is after a higher rent than he could charge the BBQ but you think it might be worth the alleviation of the hassle.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Eminent domain to kick out the BBQ place?  What a crock!

I'm going to hang a "Save the BBQ!" sign in my window.  This sucks.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Count me as against this tower if it kills the BBQ UNLESS the developer or the city provides a suitable nearby replacement.

The idea above about equal retail space inside the new tower can't work, you can't have a wood-fired smoker inside an office building.  It has to be a spot where firewood can be stacked up outside and the smoker can be directly ventedd outside.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Kard wrote: Eminent domain to kick out the BBQ place?  What a crock!

I'm going to hang a "Save the BBQ!" sign in my window.  This sucks.
I cannot believe the market value of the place is only 32,000$.  That would be a steal with all going on in the area.  Considering the business potential of the location, Copaken needs to ante up or give this guy a location in the building (modified:  did not think about Scooter's point).....which would really work towards Copaken's benefit having a tenant with a well-established restaurant. 
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

scooterj wrote: The idea above about equal retail space inside the new tower can't work, you can't have a wood-fired smoker inside an office building.  It has to be a spot where firewood can be stacked up outside and the smoker can be directly ventedd outside.
I'm sure they could rig something up with foreknowledge of the situation.  How about cutting back the store front glass (not the building, just the first floor glass; the building would be above this area) from Grand 25 feet or so and having the smoker/wood pile outside under the overhang with a counter.  It would give the place an earthy feel and passers-by could watch them cooking outdoors and get something quick at the counter.  Would make the place more visible.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

You can contact Copaken White and Blitt from emails on this site:
http://www.cwbkc.com/Contact/Index.asp? ... sk=Default

I've often had Copaken himself reply to my emails, as well as White and Blitt.

I sent my letter (which is a lot more calm and reasoning than the one I attempted to send to Swope Community Builders, as i've talked with CWB before)
Last edited by ShowMeKC on Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The City should work to find Danny Edwards BBQ another suitable location in or near downtown. Surely there is a small old building somewhere that he could be moved into, with some vacant ground nearby for the smoker. I'm trying to think of one.  Everyone put on their thinking caps and come up with a good place for Danny that could also solve another problem of filling an old building space.

What about part of the vacant building on Broadway north of the Majestic  Steakhouse? It has an alley in the back where the smoker could go. Danny's operation  probably wouldn't even require the entire building, maybe a third of it. His entrance door could be built where the garage door is now.  Or he could have one of those rolling glass doors that he could open in nice weather and let the aroma drift out into the street to mix with the coffee. ;-)

The building facade has more than enough space to hang his current neon sign above the door.  Broadway could use another restaurant and its near the hotels. Are there any other BBQ places inside the downtown business loop other than Danny's?

Last edited by FangKC on Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no fifth destination.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Danny Edwards could easily become the most lucrative BBQ place in the city- and the nearest cardiologist would probably be getting some extra business.  Imagine sitting in the building everyday as the noon hour rolls around, the hunger pains getting a little more intense, and the aroma of Danny Edwards wafting up into every nook and cranny of your building!  mmm...barbeque
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Another possible location would be the basement of the old Coates House at 1003 Broadway. There is a small alley in the back off W. 10th St. where the smoker could go, and they could excavate and create an entrance from the street from the alley into the basement.  He could hang his neon sign on the TenCentral parking garage to mark his entrance.  He could also get a liquor license and be open at night.  =D> :cheers:

Last edited by FangKC on Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Other locations:

The union hall on the NW corner of W. 10th and Central. Smoker could go in parking lot to the west.

The basement of the Ulhmann Building on the SE corner of W. 10th and Central. The smoker could go next to the building on top of the parking garage.

One of the vacant retail spaces in the Louis Curtiss studio building on McGee near E. 12th Street.  There's the space where Mr. Frank's Restaurant & Lounge used to be (see photo).  There's a parking lot next door for the smoker.

The two-story building on the SW corner of E. 12th and McGee where the pawn shop used to be, or where that loan office is now.  The smoker could go on the surface lot on the west side of the building behind the bus stop.  It's the little building directly to the right of the Argyle Building in the second altered photo.

In the former Connie's diner space in the Argyle Building on the NE corner of E. 12th and McGee.  There is a surface parking lot to the north for the smoker.

The one-story building on the SW corner of E. 10th and McGee that is vacant. It's next to a parking lot.

The retail space in the Wiltshire Apartments on the SE corner of E. 10th and Holmes.

Although it's long gone, the old Italian Gardens restaurant would have been an ideal location.  Perhaps he could take over that street-level retail space in the new garage there. I don't know if there is room behind the garage for the smoker though.
Last edited by FangKC on Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Danny would be fool to give up a location directly across from the new PnL district and Sprint Center. Hold out for a shit pot full of money Danny!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

He's not going to get a "shitpot" of money because the City can take the restaurant using eminent domain.  He'll get a fair market price -- probably decided by a court, which will be more than he's being offered now. That's if he decides to sue.   I don't know if he owns his location or rents. That could be a factor as well.   If he rents, he might get some money to move though.

Another idea to keep him on Grand would be to construct a small, narrow building for a kitchen and seating inside the Town Pavilion garage on a few parking spaces, and let him put his smoker outside next to the garage on one of those narrow strips of landscaping.  They could build an aluminum diner car facade, with a big neon sign, on the restaurant as well.  It could look neat.   :D

Another interesting alternative would be to reconfigure the space in the facade of the old Jenkins Music Co. structure. It's narrow, but perhaps it's large enough to accommodate a small kitchen and a few seats, and the smoker could be placed outside on the little strip of landscaping along Walnut. One might be able to do a serving window to the street for take-out orders.
Last edited by FangKC on Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.