13th and Grand tower

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 13th and Grand tower

Post by normalthings »

Is there a reason why this can't just be redeveloped as residential and retail? Maybe with an added office component later? Is it just that Copaken Brooks is choosing not to go this path?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I have a feeling that the parcel will eventually be developed as mostly residential with a smaller portion of office and retail.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The sale of the city-owned lot to Copaken Brooks that was announced last August is on the agenda for the LCRA meeting next Wednesday.

It does say "LCRA will then transfer the Parking Lot Property to the Developer pursuant to terms of
the Sale and Redevelopment and Funding Contract between LCRA and the Developer."

I don't know what might be in the "Sale and Redevelopment and Funding Contract" and if that means the redevelopment might be happening soon.

Edit - found the contract. Here are some relevant terms:

property is the site of a planned mixed-use project containing approximately
270,000 square feet of space for office, hotel or residential use, approximately 50,000 square feet
of retail space, an approximately 1,300-space parking garage, and related improvements

The Redeveloper is not currently seeking tax abatement assistance from the
Authority

the Redeveloper shall develop and use the Parking Lot Property only as
permitted and/or required by the Project, the Grand Avenue Plan, and the Redevelopment
Plan

The Redeveloper shall redevelop the Parking Lot
Property in accordance with the terms and provision of this Contract and the Redevelopment Plan
described on Exhibit C, which contains a narrative description of the Redevelopment Plan for the
Parking Lot Property, and which describes the nature and character of the proposed improvements,
together with general plans sufficiently complete to indicate the general size, shape, placement and
type of construction of each building, if any, to be constructed on the land and the provision and
location of any off-street parking facilities.

And in another document:

This Declaration shall continue in effect until
the earlier of: the issuance of an occupancy permit for a Permissible Use or December 31, 2028

So I guess they have until 2028 to complete this project.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

1300 SPACES??
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

1300 spaces better be underground.

Otherwise this is what we can look forward to.

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Now that's something Historic KC can get behind.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

KansasCityCraka wrote:1300 spaces better be underground.

Otherwise this is what we can look forward to.

That isn't awful since there's ground level retail. The ugly existing turd across Grand is far worse.
I don't like it, but it would look better with a 30+ story tower on top.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like that garage but I don't want it on this site obv
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Wait, are we all pretending copaken is actually going to build something here? :D
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:I like that garage but I don't want it on this site obv
A 1300 site garage next to the sprint center would allow removal of dozens of surface lots without anyone being able to complain where they could park

Not ideal as a single project, great for supporting multiple projects
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

WoodDraw wrote:Wait, are we all pretending copaken is actually going to build something here? :D
I get that Copaken has had some plans that sit around forever and never happen, but they also get projects done. Arterra and Corrigan Station are both currently under construction.

1,300 parking spaces does seem like a lot, but apparently the average space per office worker is 151 sq ft. That would equate to 1,788 employees. Plus, add in 50,000 sq ft of retail. That might be a good size for an urban Target,which would probably want a good amount of parking spaces.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:Wait, are we all pretending copaken is actually going to build something here? :D
I get that Copaken has had some plans that sit around forever and never happen, but they also get projects done. Arterra and Corrigan Station are both currently under construction.

1,300 parking spaces does seem like a lot, but apparently the average space per office worker is 151 sq ft. That would equate to 1,788 employees. Plus, add in 50,000 sq ft of retail. That might be a good size for an urban Target,which would probably want a good amount of parking spaces.
Corrigan station had a tenant and they built a bank extension, the least impressive addition ever.

I'll believe it when it stops being vapor.
mykn

Post by mykn »

flyingember wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:I like that garage but I don't want it on this site obv
A 1300 site garage next to the sprint center would allow removal of dozens of surface lots without anyone being able to complain where they could park

Not ideal as a single project, great for supporting multiple projects
Na, this is KC. We’ll get this and the private surface lot owners will hold out for a big payday, all while their surface lots sit empty and burbinites complain about parking :)
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

And until 2028 lol

This is just another land bank. It's going to stay a surface lot until they find someone willing to pay to develop it.
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

New Copaken Brooks update on the page for this, including a new render video from HOK on their website. The architecture looks nice and it seems to be better than the initial rendering.
http://copaken-brooks.com/our-properties/13th-grand/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkh2Qbqmy04
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Key Take Aways:
1. This project is active enough for Copaken to spend money on getting plans drawn and on a rendering video(which is a few grand).
2. This project now incorporates the KC Public Schools Block.
3. This project is my new favorite up and coming project in KC.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Ah!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Some of the lots on that block now show up under the name TWP Holdings(Still A Copaken Affiliate). Previously, and some still are, the lots were under the ownership of Block 112 LLC. I am 99.99% this is a change, but I could be crazy.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

ldai_phs wrote:Key Take Aways:
1. This project is active enough for Copaken to spend money on getting plans drawn and on a rendering video(which is a few grand).
2. This project now incorporates the KC Public Schools Block.
3. This project is my new favorite up and coming project in KC.
4. It is very worrisome that they want to create another super block.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

Yeah, additional building to the east in the fly-through – where the old KCPS HQ stands & Prairie Fire Development is said to have put a residential plan together.

Otherwise, too early to confirm, but the ground level looks atrociously bad – is that all structured parking?