13th and Grand tower

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: 13th and Grand tower

Post by FangKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote:Maybe this?

I haven't heard anything about that parcel being sold, or Crown Center nabbing a big enough tenant, to put up a new tower.

I would say that if a new hotel is ever built at Crown Center, the two best locations are that parcel at 27th and Main, or as part of that proposed redevelopment of Washington Square Park. Both would have great views.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I thought one of the larger Crown Center parcels just sold? Or was at least on the market with a tower contemplated.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Precisely.
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

Does anyone have any news on this? Or the Crown Center property?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

miz.jordan17 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:46 am Does anyone have any news on this? Or the Crown Center property?
A deal is probably still trying to be worked out. With Drury next door at the KCPS block, that may change Copaken's plans but I don't know
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:27 pm
miz.jordan17 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:46 am Does anyone have any news on this? Or the Crown Center property?
A deal is probably still trying to be worked out. With Drury next door at the KCPS block, that may change Copaken's plans but I don't know
The Drury absolutely changes their plans if Copaken’s recent video was what they are actually planning.
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm surprised Copaken allowed anyone else to gain control of the Board of Education block (to use for parking for his 13th and Grand block).
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:42 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:27 pm

The Drury absolutely changes their plans if Cordish’s recent video was what they are actually planning.
I didn’t know Cordish released a new video since Two Light’s came out. Unless I’m thinking of the video released by Copaken of the fly around.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Where can one see this Copaken video?
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

I think this is the one they're talking about--released in May.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkh2Qbqmy04
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

snigglefritz wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:42 am I think this is the one they're talking about--released in May.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkh2Qbqmy04
That's the video we were talking about.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I've been thinking a lot about this site, and I think this is my #1 choice for the location of a 1KCP-sized landmark skyscraper. Something like the renderings normalthings made. I think the twisty tower Copaken has been showing is too small for the site.

- Permanent views facing south, due to the location of the Sprint Center.

- Visually fills in gaps in the skyline at pretty much every conceivable angle.

- Proximity to the Power and Light District.

- Area already has some big flashy buildings, so it would fit in well while still standing out from the south.

- The section of the Sprint Center where the College Basketball Experience is in has a distinct urban edge that seems to suggest a building across the street.

Most of all, an extra tall building would give some balance to the Sprint Center, which currently dominates the area like a landed UFO. I'm imagining their relationship being like that of the CN Tower and SkyDome in Toronto.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I'm actually adverse to tall towers in KC at this point because they only come attached to Very Large Garages.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^However so do medium-sized buildings. I say go for it if it can be funded.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:53 pm I'm actually adverse to tall towers in KC at this point because they only come attached to Very Large Garages.
Omaha, OKC, and Des Moines have taller “tallest” buildings yet all feel less urban. I’d rather have a variety of mid-sized towers tbh. It’s better to spread the density around and create a walkable neighborhood. The only advantage of a tall tower seems to be that the parking can get buried (OKC Place, Town Pavillion, Lightwell).

Edit: I used to be on the tall towers only bandwagon.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I like the twisty tower renderings we have seen. A tall tower would be great but outside of incredibly dense urban areas we don’t see them as much. Financially easier to lease and maintain something smaller, potentially even more profitable. I’ll take another 30-40 architecturally distinct building than a ho-hum glass tower 60 stories high
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Also I see posts where people get bunched up about buildings that consider parking. I hate to tell ya but KC is always going to consider this. KC is car centric, even the ppl who live & work downtown mostly own cars. The cars are needed to get out to other areas of town easily. Perhaps that becomes less over time as we get more dense & add more public transit options. But cars will still be a factor for many years to come.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

There is a place for all types of product.

This subject of "Tall versus short, shiny versus traditional, blah blah" is nothing more than "product mix". Some users desire the prestige of signage on a tall tower or they need concentrated space served by elevators.

As a certainty, the underlying driver will be access to a professional workforce. With unemployment at 3.6% at-large; and less than 2% for degree-holding professionals; locating the business to attract the labor force is a driver.

At the moment, there is a substantial deficit of Class-A space in the CBD. The inference is this is broad demand, which might carry appeal to a variety of users. Carrying the thinking forward; a mixture of "tall and ostentatious", together with "understated and functional" is likely required.

Based on historical absorption rates; it would not be inane to suggest 2-4M SF of class-A space to be built in the area in the short term. (I cite CBRE reports of 350KSF - 450KSF annualized (CBD) absorption rates to 2017; with constraint on large office blocks.)

As an outsider (unfortunate); it is clear the local real estate industry is far too conservative -- with over-reliance on financial incentives to "hedge risk".

It is my sincere hope an outside development group will recognize the opportunity in the KC CBD, then disrupt the local chebol.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:16 am Also I see posts where people get bunched up about buildings that consider parking. I hate to tell ya but KC is always going to consider this. KC is car centric, even the ppl who live & work downtown mostly own cars. The cars are needed to get out to other areas of town easily. Perhaps that becomes less over time as we get more dense & add more public transit options. But cars will still be a factor for many years to come.
Most people here are blasting the ratios, not the existence of any parking. The W&R project is the classic example -- the number of spaces far exceeds even the most suburban ratio for office space. Since these projects also claim that parking drives their need for incentives, it seems quite logical to focus on that whenever it's in the mix (which is always).

And if we're not blasting ratios, we're blasting the street interface. There are decent garages all over the world and many of them don't cost more, they just don't dominate the street level to the detriment of urban design or transit-oriented development.