Dumb question about parking meters

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
scooterj
Ambassador

Dumb question about parking meters

Post by scooterj »

This post will probably start a forum war, but here goes... :)

In my 11 years of living/working downtown, I've never needed to feed a meter other than a few instances of dropping a dime or a quarter to cover those last few minutes before 6:00pm.

I now work in midtown but had to run downtown in the middle of the day last week. Being short on time I opted to drive. I was going to be at my destination for 1-1/2 hours, so I found a spot signed for 2-hour parking and was set.

I got out and started dropping coins in the meter, and was shocked when I put in the 5th quarter and the meter did not advance past one hour.

Is this normal practice, to have the meters only go up to 1 hour even though the space allows 2 hours? Or did I just happen upon a busted meter that I need to report? It was a little irritating to have to excuse myself to add more quarters, not to mention the quarter I had lost, instead of just being able to drop in the 6 quarters all at once that would have covered my stay.