OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
missingkc
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Postby missingkc » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:17 pm

Earthling, I've been following KC development and politics since the early '80s. (I know I'm not alone on here.) I can't think of a time since when there was more caring about the state and future of the core and the city. I'm glad you care, too. And, really, I'm glad you're passionate.

joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby joshmv » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:38 am

Updated Renderings courtesy of cityscenekc.com

http://cityscenekc.com/new-renderings-o ... dead-zone/

Not really sure if anything has been changed in the main rendering, but it does confirm the full glass facade and there's still no "Live!" signage.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Postby FangKC » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:35 pm

New Renderings of Planned Convention Hotel Show Transformation of Current Downtown Dead Zone

When I read the headline (misread actually), I thought the story was about how the hotel was redesigned to make the Baltimore frontage more pedestrian-friendly and more active use, i.e. retail, and restaurant/bars with outdoor seating, etc. :lol: :lol:

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby pash » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:37 pm

pash wrote:I see no reason to revise my earlier prediction: this poorly designed hotel is going to extend the dead atmosphere of the convention district into the Crossroads.

I predict it will be the exact opposite.

800 hotel rooms will add hundreds of people to the surrounding area. The 16th St streetcar stop will be busy day and night.

Families will walk up and down Baltimore and Wyandotte and 16th St, reaching places that don't exist today.

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DaveKCMO » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:56 pm

The restaurant will be oriented to Baltimore, so it depends how active that space is.

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby pash » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Stritzel
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Postby Chris Stritzel » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:30 pm

pash wrote:
flyingember wrote:800 hotel rooms will add hundreds of people to the surrounding area. The 16th St streetcar stop will be busy day and night.

Families will walk up and down Baltimore and Wyandotte and 16th St, reaching places that don't exist today.

The southern three quarters of the perimeter of the hotel are going to be blank walls and garage entrances. It is not going to feel like a lively area, no matter how many people are quickly scurrying back and forth to the hotel. The building's design is going to push guests to use the northeast entrance and traverse Truman Road and I-670 between the hotel and the Power & Light District, as dire as that walk is, rather than filtering into the neighboring blocks of the Crossroads.

When I stayed t the Courtyard-Residence Inn Building near where this hotel is going, I didn't like the lack of things on Baltimore Street near the hotel. It is a hassle to cross the highway and Truman Road/Exit Ramp to get to the Power and Light District (It is faster to walk than wait form the Streetcar). Anyway, being an out of towner, businesses on Main Street are nice but, it would be nicer if Baltimore Street and surrounding streets got the same love as Main so that it wouldn't feel so dead. Also, on an unrelated note, Pedestrian experience sucks around here with the Highway Ramp and the lack of a sidewalk on the opposite side of the road where 2, 3 and 4 Light is going. Now some say that I could've used the sidewalk near where the buildings are going on the outer rim of the lots but the inconvenience of the sidewalk being blocked by construction equipment made me walk in the grass, which isn't very pleasant. In all if this hotel is to work, the City of KCMO, developers and the hotel company need to make the street level experience around this area more lively and welcoming. Make the sidewalks and cover up the highway much the like the Park over Highway here in St. Louis. One more thing, the bolded sentences and statements above make my point.

Bottom line, make the pedestrian experience better, people deserve better not a wall with nothing to offer anyone except for an entrance and exit to a garage. :? :?

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DaveKCMO » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:47 pm

that baltimore/truman intersection will need to change.

mister816
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby mister816 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:17 pm

pash wrote:I see no reason to revise my earlier prediction: this poorly designed hotel is going to extend the dead atmosphere of the convention district into the Crossroads.

I'm still holding out hope that they are going to put some kind of thought into the pedestrian experience. Remember, they did put this photo out a month or two ago. I'm not giving up hope, I still have the smallest sliver of hope that we can get it right.

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby pash » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:42 pm

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:08 pm

I hate this project design. Every piece of it. Can't wait for it to make me angry every time I walk by it.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:11 am

KCPowercat wrote:I hate this project design. Every piece of it. Can't wait for it to make me angry every time I walk by it.

Hopefully the parcel being 3/4 parking lot makes you more angry.

hartliss
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby hartliss » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:54 pm

This has been pretty quiet as of late. Anyone know what the next steps were supposed to be?

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:56 pm

It was reported in June that the groundbreaking would be October.

beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby beautyfromashes » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:46 pm

Found a cheaper lender? Use the money to make the building better.

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DaveKCMO » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:47 pm

moderator note: don't post full articles, especially those behind paywalls. we get in trouble.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... aking.html

hartliss wrote:Per bizjournal article on 9/14/17:

Addressing a quarterly gathering of Kansas City's Convention Management Advisory Authority, Burke said KC Hotel Developers LLC remains on track for completion and opening of the 800-room hotel before the 2020 Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship, which will be March 11-14 at the Sprint Center.

The proposed Loews Kansas City Convention Center Hotel remains on track to open in early 2020, members of its development partnership said Thursday.

cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Postby cityscape » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:49 pm

This really sounds all positive. Like Loews is classing up the design and making sure it is less generic.

ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby ldai_phs » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:58 pm

So it sounds like the hotel is going to be mostly if not all glass, They are adding more active space along Baltimore with another restaurant, and now we have a pretty successful and well funded developer invested in Kansas City which may lead to more projects in the future.

KCDowntown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby KCDowntown » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:12 pm

FYI - A CRBL permit(Commercial building plan review) was recently issued for the Convention Center development.

This is the first permit you typically see for a new large project, and typically precedes groundbreaking by 4-6 months. For instance Arterra 21's CRBL dates to March 30th of this year.

KCDowntown

Return to “Downtown”