OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
horizons82
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Postby horizons82 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:15 pm

mister816 wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:some pics from sunday:

This is crazy, the law says that they needed to keep that hole where the sidewalk used to be open, I'll be tweeting sly immediately!

:roll:

The law went into effect for all projects moving forward. If the city is going to let it slide on the biggest project downtown, then enforce it on a smaller property in the crossroads, that's bs. Fair is fair.

If the developers didn't want to comply, maybe they should have got their shit done on time years ago, before the ordinance passed?

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:44 pm

har har.

mister816
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby mister816 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:18 pm

horizons82 wrote:
mister816 wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:some pics from sunday:

This is crazy, the law says that they needed to keep that hole where the sidewalk used to be open, I'll be tweeting sly immediately!

The law went into effect for all projects moving forward. If the city is going to let it slide on the biggest project downtown, then enforce it on a smaller property in the crossroads, that's bs. Fair is fair.

If the developers didn't want to comply, maybe they should have got their shit done on time years ago, before the ordinance passed?

I get it, i really do. Every single one of us jumped to conclusions about what was going on with this sidewalk, if they are going to repave this sidewalk and then build up to the sidewalk, then it was absolutely necessary for them to close it for a while. We didn't know what was going on and most likely no one in this forum knows the plan for what's happening in the future.

What we do know is that they are going to build up to the sidewalk and it absolutely cannot be opened for that. I'm sure the engineers and construction company knows what the law is and will follow it when they can but once again, THEY ARE BUILDING UP TO THE SIDEWALK AND THE SIDEWALK CANNOT BE OPENED TO PEDESTRIANS IN THE MEANTIME. It's okay, another sidewalk is opened that is about 28 feet away.

here's to hoping that they reopen the sidewalk to as soon as possible.

chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President

Postby chaglang » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Very recent experience with building downtown leads me to believe that neither the engineers nor the GC know about the ordinance. Maybe the architects know. Maybe. And sometimes you have to tell even the city about the ordinance. That’s a weird conversation, trust me. From that same experience, I can tell you that the workaround to the sidewalk not being there is to put a temp sidewalk in the street. Easy peasy. But someone has to care. These ordinances don’t enforce themselves.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:14 pm

mister816 wrote:
horizons82 wrote:
mister816 wrote:

I get it, i really do. Every single one of us jumped to conclusions about what was going on with this sidewalk, if they are going to repave this sidewalk and then build up to the sidewalk, then it was absolutely necessary for them to close it for a while. We didn't know what was going on and most likely no one in this forum knows the plan for what's happening in the future.

What we do know is that they are going to build up to the sidewalk and it absolutely cannot be opened for that. I'm sure the engineers and construction company knows what the law is and will follow it when they can but once again, THEY ARE BUILDING UP TO THE SIDEWALK AND THE SIDEWALK CANNOT BE OPENED TO PEDESTRIANS IN THE MEANTIME. It's okay, another sidewalk is opened that is about 28 feet away.

here's to hoping that they reopen the sidewalk to as soon as possible.

the ordinance doesn't say the existing physical sidewalk has to be open...just a pedestrian path on that side of the street....eliminates pedestrians from having to cross traffic twice within a block to continue on their journey...it's not an unreasonable or uncommon ask of construction sites.

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby WoodDraw » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:55 pm

Deleted post because I shouldn't let these things bother me.

Protecting pedestrians is cool though and shitty jokes are bad. And I agree with kcp who is saying everything nicer than me.

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby WoodDraw » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:16 am

I understand why it's funny to joke about and like haha walk across the street and use that sidewalk. But it really is very, very dangerous to not do this well. Construction sights normally cut down on line of sight for car traffic and if not controlled, it can push pedestrians into the street.

It's also just good city management. Letting developers do whatever they want to save money will result in them doing absolutely nothing. I think they have a couple weeks to set it up though before we go with pitchforks

Eon Blue
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby Eon Blue » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:44 am

Many (most?) people will not cross a street to get around a sidewalk closure. They'll walk in the street, along the barricade. This is especially true if the closure is mid-block or away from a protected crosswalk. Just watch one of these sites for a while.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:08 am

The midblock closure was the real push for this change ...construction sites are doing a better job of warning people at the intersection....even though it's mostly ignored...which is why the pedestrian path around the site is really the important part.

Eon Blue
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby Eon Blue » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:11 am

Of course with advance warning, you have to make sure the contractor doesn't do something dumb like put the "Sidewalk Closed" sign where it obstructs the ADA ramp at the last open corner...

Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Postby Highlander » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:30 pm

FangKC wrote:On a side note, does anyone know where the Hereford Association is moving?

11500 N.W. Ambassador Dr., Suite. 410 According to their website. So, the Northland suburbs. Hate losing real businesses downtown. But at least they are still in KCMO (several KC based associations have hopped across state line).

KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby KCLover » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:04 am

Looks like they are already beginning to assemble a tower crane.

TheLastGentleman
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby TheLastGentleman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:58 pm

Are there any other live cameras like this downtown?

ldai_phs
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Postby ldai_phs » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:02 pm

I think I heard somewhere that there might be more than one crane on this project

KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby KCLover » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:11 pm

TheLastGentleman wrote:Are there any other live cameras like this downtown?

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/usa/misso ... -city.html

ldai_phs wrote:I think I heard somewhere that there might be more than one crane on this project

I'm guessing at least two. Figure the other one may not go up until the Herford Association is demolished.

TheLastGentleman
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby TheLastGentleman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:10 pm

KCLover wrote:https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/usa/missouri/kansas-city.html

Wow, that is far away.

Chris Stritzel
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Postby Chris Stritzel » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:59 pm

KCLover wrote:Looks like they are already beginning to assemble a tower crane.

Interesting that they already have the base piece in place. Seems way to early for that but look on the Brightside, there will be two (or 3) tower cranes within two blocks of each other!

KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby KCLover » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:49 pm

Chris Stritzel wrote:
KCLover wrote:Looks like they are already beginning to assemble a tower crane.

Interesting that they already have the base piece in place. Seems way to early for that but look on the Brightside, there will be two (or 3) tower cranes within two blocks of each other!

Maybe early at KC construction speeds, but they want this thing done in roughly two years so I think we will see a must faster construction pace on this one.

LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Postby LCDSI » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:49 pm

The Loews Kansas City hotel page has been updated.

https://www.loewshotels.com/loews-kansas-city-hotel

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:08 pm

Really wish the SW corner wasn't a big concrete pillar....even if it could be glass it would be much improved.

Return to “Downtown”